KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Even when it’s hot I wear pants, the day you go down you’ll regret being in shorts. Gloves and pants should be like gas and air in tires. I’ve never dropped or fallen and I put some serious wear on the sides of my boots and pegs, but I can’t control anyone else on the road and accidents happen.
good luck! I would rather be sweaty than risk losing a chunk of skin Maybe just put jeans over shorts while you ride and pull them off when you get off

·
Registered
386 Posts
Hence my suggestion for the heat shield. It's not to avoid getting in contact with the exhaust pipe.

It is to reflect the radiant heat back inside the bike, and prevent it from grilling one's leg.
How exactly will any shield reflect the heat back inside the bike? And where to? Into the pipe? Sorry, that's not how it works.
The shield fill protect any flesh because it won't be as hot at the pipe. And that's all such shield can do.

·
Registered
372 Posts
How exactly will any shield reflect the heat back inside the bike? And where to? Into the pipe? Sorry, that's not how it works.
The shield fill protect any flesh because it won't be as hot at the pipe. And that's all such shield can do.
Most of the time your contribution to the forum is very useful and/or interesting, but here you're just wrong.

Look at the heat shield that protects the airbox. It serves exactly the same purpose as what I'm proposing. If such heatshields only served to "protect flesh", why would they install it at the bottom of the air box?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Most of the time your contribution to the forum is very useful and/or interesting, but here you're just wrong.

Look at the heat shield that protects the airbox. It serves exactly the same purpose as what I'm proposing. If such heatshields only served to "protect flesh", why would they install it at the bottom of the air box?
Thanks

Ok, let me try again. With some shield it will be possible to redirect the heat to somewhere else. That will work for small areas. I.e. a shield is able to redirect the heat away from the airbox because it is relative small.
The leg of the rider is a huge area. And sitting on the bike with the leg on the tank the leg is in the way where hot air flows up. Hot air will always flow up. So how can you redirect that hot air around that leg?
As far as I know this is only possible if you put that leg away from the tank so that the hot air is not blocked by that leg. The hot air will flow up between leg and tank. Not perfect but a lot better than roasting that leg from below.
For that reason I put my leg to the side when I have to stop in tropical Bangkok traffic. But CuteNSmall is too short for that.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts