KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I would like to share what all performance upgrades I have done to my Duke 390. Duke 390 was my dream bike from the day I had seen it on youtube and people moto vlogging on it. The 390 had become every youth's aspiration to buy in India. So let me start with some photos of my modded KTM 390 DUKE!
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Plant Vehicle

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive lighting Vehicle

List of mods performance mods:
1. Powertronics PIGGYBACK ECU
2. Replace airfilter by BMC.
3. Akrapovic slip on exhaust(1st copy)
4. Brembo radial brake master cylinder.
5. Brembo radial hydraulic clutch.
6. Upgraded KTM powerpart front disc rotor.
7. Brembo brake pads.
8. FuelX fuel injector modulator.
9. NGK ceramic spark plug.

List of non performance mods:
1. HJG LED lights 6000 lumins each side.
2. Complete Redbull livery.
3. CNC machined powerparts(oil filler cap, radiator cap, engine and clutch cap)
4. SIMTAC hazard flasher module.
5. Front fork sliders.
6. Paddock spools.
7. Exhaust slider by Road rash.
8. Radiator grill.
9. Bar end mirrors.
10. Load side stand(can take upto 1000kg)

By far I am really proud of my bike and me personally being a mechanic did most of the installation by myself. There were no specific reasons to why I spent so much money on a beginner bike but I think my pure love and the desire to own this bike someday drove me to make the best 390 Duke in India.

Review after mods:
It's no rocket science to understand that I have been experiencing a huge difference in power. The powertronics and the FuelX have made the engine extremely refined and the typical single cylinder jerkiness at low revs is no more. 40kmph, 4th gear.. No problem. The biggest difference is in the top end power as the bike is now unlocked to 12500 RPM and 9k rpm it feel that there is still juice remaining which is not the case with the stock bike. The midrange power has shifted a bit to the lower end which is good for urban riding and makes the bike feel more peppy.
Braking.. OMG the braking!! It has improved by miles! I braked full hard from 100kmph on a stock bike which is as it is pretty good, but mine with the performance rotor, brembo master and brembo pads almost feels like a Superbike stopping power, really impressed. The replacement airfilter was just a must have with the ECU and it just makes a bit better inducting noise.
The brembo hydraulic master clutch and slave cylinder has definitely improved the clutch feel and feedback. Both the master clutch and brake being now radial has much better feedback in my openion and one things which I disliked with the stock bike was the extreme early ABS actuation which is no more the case with the BREMBOS. I Don't know how did that exactly happen but now it feels perfectly at the sweet spot when the ABS kicks in. It might be even because is the upgraded rotor and pads. Rear brakes are just rear brake but with the Duke it provides sufficient bite in for urban riding.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Plant Vehicle

The photo above has the upgraded rotors which was a mod done later so you might not find it in the photos in the beginning.

Last but not the least, I am a die hard fan of the Redbull racing team and the livery was a fan tribute.

Finally for the future I plan on upgrading the suspension for a better front end feel and the rear for adjustability purpose. Not that the stock ones are any bad but I would like to have some adjustments considering the Indian road conditions and my god those front fork seal gets busted in no time on these WP Apex.

Conclusion :
This has turned out to be my project bike and I have stopped looking at the economics of it. I have spent 40% of the bike's cost on mods so it clearly means that I am not doing any practical economical calculations for it.
I would like to hear it out from the community some thoughts about my bike and any suggestions are most welcomes. Any mistakes that I might have made can also be pointed out as there is always so much scope for improvement with KTMs.
Thanks for reading this huge post guys.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Glad you are happy with the mods. I like it as a platform for simple mods.

But as a rider of 30 years I’m confused why you think this is a beginner bike.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Probably because I have been watching videos on youtube etc and most youtubers ranks it as a beginner bike, and another reason maybe 300cc is the starter capacity sports bike in the US and most of the youtube videos are US based.
Although I get what you trying to say here that the 390 DUKE is a super precise machine which 1st gear powerwheely capability, yeah right, it's just the way an individual looks into things maybe you know.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Duke 390 was my fantasy bicycle from the day I had seen it on youtube and individuals moto vlogging on it. The 390 had turned into each young's desire to purchase in India. So let me start with some photographs of my modded KTM 390 DUKE

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Duke 390 was my fantasy bicycle from the day I had seen it on youtube and individuals moto vlogging on it. The 390 had turned into each young's desire to purchase in India. So let me start with some photographs of my modded KTM 390 DUKE
Sure, I would to see

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What is an NGK ceramic plug?
Ceramic material last 10x that it normal spark plugs, it will be more than ur bikes life probably. Carbon deposits are minimal. Stronger power spark aiding to a faster and more complete burning of fuel = performance improves.
I would recommend to use it only if u have a piggyback ECU or fuel modulator which supplies extra fuel can be aided by the NGK to burn. But noticeable difference is only noticed at probably Biggers bikes more because frankly I didn't notice any difference in performance.

·
Premium Member
1,078 Posts
Probably meant Iridium

·
Registered
40 Posts
Probably because I have been watching videos on youtube etc and most youtubers ranks it as a beginner bike, and another reason maybe 300cc is the starter capacity sports bike in the US and most of the youtube videos are US based.
Although I get what you trying to say here that the 390 DUKE is a super precise machine which 1st gear powerwheely capability, yeah right, it's just the way an individual looks into things maybe you know.
Hi everyone, I would like to share what all performance upgrades I have done to my Duke 390. Duke 390 was my dream bike from the day I had seen it on youtube and people moto vlogging on it. The 390 had become every youth's aspiration to buy in India. So let me start with some photos of my modded KTM 390 DUKE!
View attachment 54085
View attachment 54084
View attachment 54083
View attachment 54082

List of mods performance mods:
1. Powertronics PIGGYBACK ECU
2. Replace airfilter by BMC.
3. Akrapovic slip on exhaust(1st copy)
4. Brembo radial brake master cylinder.
5. Brembo radial hydraulic clutch.
6. Upgraded KTM powerpart front disc rotor.
7. Brembo brake pads.
8. FuelX fuel injector modulator.
9. NGK ceramic spark plug.

List of non performance mods:
1. HJG LED lights 6000 lumins each side.
2. Complete Redbull livery.
3. CNC machined powerparts(oil filler cap, radiator cap, engine and clutch cap)
4. SIMTAC hazard flasher module.
5. Front fork sliders.
6. Paddock spools.
7. Exhaust slider by Road rash.
8. Radiator grill.
9. Bar end mirrors.
10. Load side stand(can take upto 1000kg)

By far I am really proud of my bike and me personally being a mechanic did most of the installation by myself. There were no specific reasons to why I spent so much money on a beginner bike but I think my pure love and the desire to own this bike someday drove me to make the best 390 Duke in India.

Review after mods:
It's no rocket science to understand that I have been experiencing a huge difference in power. The powertronics and the FuelX have made the engine extremely refined and the typical single cylinder jerkiness at low revs is no more. 40kmph, 4th gear.. No problem. The biggest difference is in the top end power as the bike is now unlocked to 12500 RPM and 9k rpm it feel that there is still juice remaining which is not the case with the stock bike. The midrange power has shifted a bit to the lower end which is good for urban riding and makes the bike feel more peppy.
Braking.. OMG the braking!! It has improved by miles! I braked full hard from 100kmph on a stock bike which is as it is pretty good, but mine with the performance rotor, brembo master and brembo pads almost feels like a Superbike stopping power, really impressed. The replacement airfilter was just a must have with the ECU and it just makes a bit better inducting noise.
The brembo hydraulic master clutch and slave cylinder has definitely improved the clutch feel and feedback. Both the master clutch and brake being now radial has much better feedback in my openion and one things which I disliked with the stock bike was the extreme early ABS actuation which is no more the case with the BREMBOS. I Don't know how did that exactly happen but now it feels perfectly at the sweet spot when the ABS kicks in. It might be even because is the upgraded rotor and pads. Rear brakes are just rear brake but with the Duke it provides sufficient bite in for urban riding. View attachment 54086
The photo above has the upgraded rotors which was a mod done later so you might not find it in the photos in the beginning.

Last but not the least, I am a die hard fan of the Redbull racing team and the livery was a fan tribute.

Finally for the future I plan on upgrading the suspension for a better front end feel and the rear for adjustability purpose. Not that the stock ones are any bad but I would like to have some adjustments considering the Indian road conditions and my god those front fork seal gets busted in no time on these WP Apex.

Conclusion :
This has turned out to be my project bike and I have stopped looking at the economics of it. I have spent 40% of the bike's cost on mods so it clearly means that I am not doing any practical economical calculations for it.
I would like to hear it out from the community some thoughts about my bike and any suggestions are most welcomes. Any mistakes that I might have made can also be pointed out as there is always so much scope for improvement with KTMs.
Thanks for reading this huge post guys.
Looks and sounds great. Can you please provide the names of the products you used for updating..say hydraulic clutch,
front brake rotor, if Brembos from where did you source them. I have ipgraded my rear suspension to an all adjustable YSS one it works perfect..changed ride quality instantly. I have also replaced my rear sprocket from 45t to 42t and gives me a super ride, for eg 6000rpm 110kmph.. effortless.. and hardly any lack in acceleration

·
Registered
2 Posts

Yah, I've been riding for more than 50 years and had 15 or so motorcycles. I would hardly call the Duke 390 a beginner bike, although most publications do. A 650 is now considered a small bike. Yikes! My '66 Bonneville would almost rip my fingers from the handlebars.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts