KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I've had my bike a week, I think I want the handle bars a bit lower/flatter. More importantly, a little shorter width-wise. Doesn't seem like there is much room to play with though because the grips come awfully close to the tank when make a full turn.

Has anyone replaced their bars?

Reactions: lcjohnny

· Registered
715 Posts

· Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

· Registered
2,224 Posts
Handlebar Makeover in Progress

Hi StuTX, Like you, I'm accustomed to lower, narrower sportbike-type bars, preferably with downward-angled outer sections. The Duke's wide, almost dirt-bike style bars have always felt a bit unnatural to me. For winter makeover, I whacked about 1.5 inches of each bar end, moved controls inboard, fitted G2 throttle and homebrew fat, cushy grips, ditched bar-end mirrors (too wide and low), mounted Barkbuster bars, rotated stock bars to the back as far as possible with control modules still clearing tank at full lock. Bars now about 26.5 inches (67.3 cm) wide, closer to the norm for me. The whole control/bar setup now feels far more comfortable and natural to me - but I wouldn't rule out further changes in the future, maybe Raask multi-adjustable bars. Next up: Fitting Frando 15mm MC. Then new higher mirrors, with extensions and perhaps LED indicators. Also likely will fit Barkbusters handguards.

· Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi StuTX, Like you, I'm accustomed to lower, narrower sportbike-type bars, preferably with downward-angled outer sections. The Duke's wide, almost dirt-bike style bars have always felt a bit unnatural to me. For winter makeover, I whacked about 1.5 inches of each bar end, moved controls inboard, fitted G2 throttle and homebrew fat, cushy grips, ditched bar-end mirrors (too wide and low), mounted Barkbuster bars, rotated stock bars to the back as far as possible with control modules still clearing tank at full lock. Bars now about 26.5 inches (67.3 cm) wide, closer to the norm for me. The whole control/bar setup now feels far more comfortable and natural to me - but I wouldn't rule out further changes in the future, maybe Raask multi-adjustable bars. Next up: Fitting Frando 15mm MC. Then new higher mirrors, with extensions and perhaps LED indicators. Also likely will fit Barkbusters handguards.
Nice work. Like the Mini btw...

I thought about chopping the bars also. However, you can no longer use the stock bar ends right? I'm guessing with the fatty grips you don't notice much vibration thought.

Why did you go with the G2 throttle? Can you not use reuse the stock throttle twister?

· Registered
2,224 Posts
The narrower bars now accept standard bar ends, bar end mirrors or handguard bars that use the normal internal expanders, rather than the KTM -unique screws into the blocked-off bar ends. If you get a set of expanders I suppose the OEM KTM bar ends could be used, but there are a million inexpensive bar ends on the market.

I switched to the G2 throttle simply because it is an elegant aluminum upgrade over the OEM plastic piece, and runs very smoothly on delrin sleeves. About the same throttle turn. Yes, I could have kept the OEM throttle.

Reactions: STUTX

· Registered
740 Posts
Nice work. Like the Mini btw...
Maybe it's different in the states, but around here :

(BMW) Minis - Meh, common as muck.

Classic Merc SL on the other hand - rare as hen's teeth.

THAT I like !

Reactions: lcjohnny and STUTX

· Registered
90 Posts
I have installed a lower bar, it´s actually a mountain bike bar from FUNN. It is 25.4 at the clamp, but it is locked down due to the fact that the clamp hits the rise ever so slightly. Can´t say I can recommend copying this to anyone, just explaining how it actually fitted. I put it on just to test a lower handlebar position, and less back sweep, and it works out really well for me. Hopefully it will not break... The controls just clears the tank btw, so this is probably as low as you can go, or you would have to go straight. I drilled the hole for the throttle controls a little bit forward to aid clearance too.

I think this really made a change to how the bike handles, I feel its more neutral into turns and its way better at speed. And it looks better IMO :)

Attachments

Reactions: Diploman

· Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have installed a lower bar, it´s actually a mountain bike bar from FUNN. It is 25.4 at the clamp, but it is locked down due to the fact that the clamp hits the rise ever so slightly. Can´t say I can recommend copying this to anyone, just explaining how it actually fitted. I put it on just to test a lower handlebar position, and less back sweep, and it works out really well for me. Hopefully it will not break... The controls just clears the tank btw, so this is probably as low as you can go, or you would have to go straight. I drilled the hole for the throttle controls a little bit forward to aid clearance too.

I think this really made a change to how the bike handles, I feel its more neutral into turns and its way better at speed. And it looks better IMO :)
Awesome!

Can you post some more close up pictures please? Thanks

· Registered
2,224 Posts
This is a very interesting thread, IMO. As noted above, I have shortened my stock bars and rotated them back/down as far as clearance will allow. This configuration is decidedly better than stock, but still not exactly what I am seeking. A bar change may be in the works.

A set of Tomasselli Hi-Rise clipons would work, I think, but I do not want to adopt as much of a forward lean as this configuration would require. Too much weight on wrists and hands, good for the track but tortuous on an extended ride. I chose the Duke over the RC principally for the upright riding posture.

I need a bar that will attach to the stock clamp, rise higher and terminate with outboard sections on a moderate downward angle, like clipons. The outer angle is the one human hands tend to assume naturally when stretched forward. This is what would be comfortable for me.

In this perspective I am contemplating the possibility of a Clubman bar that can be rotated and reversed to a variety of configurations. Perhaps a Tomasselli Condor, with outer sections adjustable for height and sweep. On my V50 Guzzi I have the ultimate adjustable bar, the Raask Laverda Jota, adjustable in every plane - rotation, height, sweep, angle. That might be the final solution. Meanwhile, I am thinking....

http://www.raask.se/e4.jpg

· Registered
90 Posts
Took some more pictures today, for those interested. As you can see the handlebar is close to the tank cover at full lock, but there is 2-3 mm clearance still. I rotated the brake cable outwards a bit because the hose got a little kink when pressed against the top crown of the fork. This is easily done by carefully loosening the bolt and rotating the banjo into position. No leakage if done right. Only thing missing now is mirrors, some 2 1/2 in bar end mounted ones are on its way from China.

As you can see my bike is stripped for stickers, I´m going to blackify it (wheels and tank cover), but I´m waiting for the temperature to rise. Mostly 5 degrees C still :/

Attachments

· Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I like it!

I would prefer a bit more back sweep but looks great. Thanks for posting.

· Registered
24 Posts
Took some more pictures today, for those interested. As you can see the handlebar is close to the tank cover at full lock, but there is 2-3 mm clearance still. I rotated the brake cable outwards a bit because the hose got a little kink when pressed against the top crown of the fork. This is easily done by carefully loosening the bolt and rotating the banjo into position. No leakage if done right. Only thing missing now is mirrors, some 2 1/2 in bar end mounted ones are on its way from China.

As you can see my bike is stripped for stickers, I´m going to blackify it (wheels and tank cover), but I´m waiting for the temperature to rise. Mostly 5 degrees C still :/
Cool handlebar! just looked up Funn's website and found the clamp diameter is 31.8 mm whereas the stock dia is smaller. Did you have to make any mods to the clamp to fit the handlebar?

Could also share the specs of the bar like width and rise angle. There are 3 variants of the bar (Funn Full On) 750, 785 and 810mm wide. Which one do you have on you bike?

Thanks.

· Registered
90 Posts
Cool handlebar! just looked up Funn's website and found the clamp diameter is 31.8 mm whereas the stock dia is smaller. Did you have to make any mods to the clamp to fit the handlebar?

Could also share the specs of the bar like width and rise angle. There are 3 variants of the bar (Funn Full On) 750, 785 and 810mm wide. Which one do you have on you bike?

Thanks.
It is an older bar of the 25.4 mm clamp standard. The bar is 750 mm wide, 20 mm rise and 4 degrees up/8 degrees back sweep I think. It is most likely discontinued, and it is hard to find bars of this standard nowadays. I didn´t have to do any modifications as the bar is only .6 mm too small and the bar clamp hits the rise ever so slightly. Just pure coincidence really. It is secured properly, but it is probably not all good with regards to fatigue. So, as mentioned, I can´t recommend copying this ;)

· Registered
24 Posts
It is an older bar of the 25.4 mm clamp standard. The bar is 750 mm wide, 20 mm rise and 4 degrees up/8 degrees back sweep I think. It is most likely discontinued, and it is hard to find bars of this standard nowadays. I didn´t have to do any modifications as the bar is only .6 mm too small and the bar clamp hits the rise ever so slightly. Just pure coincidence really. It is secured properly, but it is probably not all good with regards to fatigue. So, as mentioned, I can´t recommend copying this ;)
Man! I should have waited for your response, I ordered a similar bar but the clamp dia is 31.8 :( now looking around to get custom clamps done :laugh:

· Registered
37 Posts
Cool bars, but what grips are those??

1 - 20 of 24 Posts