KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Wanna say around $685 = tax, shipping for the Olins 301, I don't ride over about 30 min on street so didn't see need for a remote reservoir and Andreani cartridges= tax+ installation(200)= $855, I dropped them off and picked up a few days later in person at Fast Bike Industries. Around $1550 for both, prices are about the same everywhere as retailers get them from same importer. I went with Olins because I know that they can service or rebuild them along with forks.

·
Super Moderator
1,692 Posts
All the brands I mentioned before are serviceable as well which is not a monopoly of Öhlins.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I think you will notice big improvement with any premium type shock. Availability, delivery time, owners location, cost and the ability to have serviced by experts in a timely manner are considerations. Many factors in deciding which brand of suspension, brake, exhaust, wheels to purchase. All the top shelf players for parts are monopolies that usually have one factory, an importer and retailers, thus pricing is similar.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Current trim with BST Wheels, Stompgrips on tank and seat( req epoxy) for Moto Gymkana style riding. Running lights on frame sliders help opposing traffic to notice me sooner, and a 150 rear tire without chicken strips-just scrubbed in( rim is 4.5 in wide).
IMG_1977.JPG
IMG_1979.JPG
IMG_1980.JPG

·
Registered
83 Posts
First impression of the BST carbon wheels wasn't good, both F and R had terrible chatter. After researching what little there info on tuning w/ lighter wheels the understanding is that the springs don't have to work as hard, the lighter wheels feel harder and have more movement-but not as far. I had kept the base settings for Andreani carts and Olins rear with stock wells because it worked perfect- now I have a pair of jackhammers under me.

Test and adjust runs resulted in adding 2 clicks rebound above the base setting for the Olins rear shock. The forks needed less C and more R, experimented 1/4 turn at a time. Final setting was C=3 3/4 turns out out of 4 turn total. Rebound damping was 3 3/4 turns in out of 4 as seen in pic( yes that a T-handle adjustment tool taped on- can work w/ gloves on). I got about 85 % of the chatter out on a tight twisty, bumpy, broken up mountain road- no smooth racetrack. It works pretty good, can still feel some in certain sections briefly and there will always be more movement and harsher rider with lighter wheels-had a Zeus framed pro race bicycle, felt more road imperfections.

Read on a Fz9 forum a guy had success with Andreanis by changing to a lower viscosity fork oil in the Compression tube. I'm going to try that and maybe higher viscosity fork oil in the Rebound leg. Mirus has a good video replacing seals, had anyone here who has the Andreani carts changed their oil before? I know the internals are different from stock but am thinking that the cap screws go on the same as the stock one did?

Riding was surprising, I was coming off turns much slower-even chugging, then instead of waiting forever to accelerate it gets faster and faster so I am going 4-7 mph faster at my next brake point. Also I can brake later. Momentum helps the stock wheels coming off a turn initially but then the weight shows itself. After adjusting my riding style to get on the gas sooner it's like having a turbo with lag, but then 50 cc extra power but without any extra weight- so glad I didn't but a bigger more powerful bike, it's a weapon on tight twisty roads.

IMG_1982.JPG

·
Super Moderator
1,692 Posts
Ordered the fork inserts Mupo Calibro22 today, probably in 2 weeks ;)

·
Super Moderator
1,692 Posts
I do in my 390, these will go in the 200 plus the Nitron rear. (y)

61 - 68 of 68 Posts