KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
61 - 80 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Wanna say around $685 = tax, shipping for the Olins 301, I don't ride over about 30 min on street so didn't see need for a remote reservoir and Andreani cartridges= tax+ installation(200)= $855, I dropped them off and picked up a few days later in person at Fast Bike Industries. Around $1550 for both, prices are about the same everywhere as retailers get them from same importer. I went with Olins because I know that they can service or rebuild them along with forks.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I think you will notice big improvement with any premium type shock. Availability, delivery time, owners location, cost and the ability to have serviced by experts in a timely manner are considerations. Many factors in deciding which brand of suspension, brake, exhaust, wheels to purchase. All the top shelf players for parts are monopolies that usually have one factory, an importer and retailers, thus pricing is similar.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Current trim with BST Wheels, Stompgrips on tank and seat( req epoxy) for Moto Gymkana style riding. Running lights on frame sliders help opposing traffic to notice me sooner, and a 150 rear tire without chicken strips-just scrubbed in( rim is 4.5 in wide).
Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle
Wheel Tire Bicycle tire Crankset Automotive tire

·
Registered
88 Posts
First impression of the BST carbon wheels wasn't good, both F and R had terrible chatter. After researching what little there info on tuning w/ lighter wheels the understanding is that the springs don't have to work as hard, the lighter wheels feel harder and have more movement-but not as far. I had kept the base settings for Andreani carts and Olins rear with stock wells because it worked perfect- now I have a pair of jackhammers under me.

Test and adjust runs resulted in adding 2 clicks rebound above the base setting for the Olins rear shock. The forks needed less C and more R, experimented 1/4 turn at a time. Final setting was C=3 3/4 turns out out of 4 turn total. Rebound damping was 3 3/4 turns in out of 4 as seen in pic( yes that a T-handle adjustment tool taped on- can work w/ gloves on). I got about 85 % of the chatter out on a tight twisty, bumpy, broken up mountain road- no smooth racetrack. It works pretty good, can still feel some in certain sections briefly and there will always be more movement and harsher rider with lighter wheels-had a Zeus framed pro race bicycle, felt more road imperfections.

Read on a Fz9 forum a guy had success with Andreanis by changing to a lower viscosity fork oil in the Compression tube. I'm going to try that and maybe higher viscosity fork oil in the Rebound leg. Mirus has a good video replacing seals, had anyone here who has the Andreani carts changed their oil before? I know the internals are different from stock but am thinking that the cap screws go on the same as the stock one did?

Riding was surprising, I was coming off turns much slower-even chugging, then instead of waiting forever to accelerate it gets faster and faster so I am going 4-7 mph faster at my next brake point. Also I can brake later. Momentum helps the stock wheels coming off a turn initially but then the weight shows itself. After adjusting my riding style to get on the gas sooner it's like having a turbo with lag, but then 50 cc extra power but without any extra weight- so glad I didn't but a bigger more powerful bike, it's a weapon on tight twisty roads.

Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

·
Registered
88 Posts
Are you installing them yourself? Now with more vids, other forum threads on carts installation and seal replacement ( Mirus) . Zero fork experience and no fork vise a year ago- but now after re-tuning the whole bike's suspension, trying sag from 24-42 mm on both ends, it likes 37mm F and 30 mm R, I think I could do it . They all seem to work the same way-remove bottom bolt and old internals, and slide new cart in, may need a helper to get cap on?

Do you know if the Ohlins Nix 30 cart kit will work in my 2018- they are listed for the RC which has 25mm less travel but the Andreanis also far less travel than stock, only using around 85mm? Someone on the RC 390 forum put them in a RC but had to drill holes-our Dukes have base bolts. Reason is the Andreanis are overwhelmed by the lighter wheels and still have some chatter, have 20mm pistons and Ohlins 30 mm piston, plus have more available internals being used on lots of other bikes. This ad says it fits but is all others just say RC.
Ohlins FKS 507 30mm Cartridge Fork Kit 2017-2019 KTM RC390 / Duke 390 - KT 303 (superbikeunlimited.com)

·
Super Moderator
1,937 Posts
Yes, I will be doing it myself.
It will still be a try-out as the Mupo fork inserts are stated to be for the KTM Duke 390 from 2013 to I think 2016.
Not all Duke forks have a bottom bolt if I understand correctly.
The Mupo Calibre 22 piston size is 22mm.
To get the cap on you basically slide the other tube all the way up, no need for a helper here.

At the time I was looking for fork inserts for my 390 (after I had purchased the KT-301) there were no Öhlins available.
I ended up with Andreani and the 390 I had the inserts done by an Andreani import/workshop in Chiang Mai called Sino Moto.
The springs were too stiff for my pleasure so they swapped them for softer ones f.o.c.
The rear, Öhlins or Nitron are no problem to install at all.
That is basically the old one out and the new one in, 2 bolts and ready to set SAG.

One thing I am not really sure of yet is the viscosity of the fork oil.
Although OEM and Mupo say SAE 5 I might opt for a thicker oil as I am riding the tropics only.
Also need to experiment with the amount of fork oil in each leg, OEM says 450ml/leg but as with tyre pressures, this is only an indication on where to start fine-tuning.

If not mistaken the Andreani also allows for the full 150 mm travel?

Looking forward to playing with the suspension underway, Mupo is expected end of this month and the Nitron around November.

·
Registered
88 Posts
You may need a fork spring compresser tool also, not sure. Contacted David , the owner of Fast Bike Industries (US Importer Ohlins and Nikon)who owned a RC 390 w/ Andreanis, set up Ari Henning's RC390 and he suggests lighter springs, I've lost about 15 lbs, so I'm gonna try that first. From what I'm seeing on the RC and FZ09 forums, guys are getting less than 100 mm, think they are designed to have less travel.

·
Registered
88 Posts
How this for customer service? David just emailed me asking if I can bring them by the shop- they will swap for the springs and revise the oil level I need at no charge. Considering it is the middle of riding and racing season and they are usually backed up for weeks is outstanding.

·
Super Moderator
1,937 Posts
I will have to experience it but don't think I need any spring compression tool(s).
My Andreani springs were swapped for softer springs f.o.c. as well.
At the end of the day, these guys need to have much from word of mouth advertising so they will do a lot to have happy customers, to them, it is only a 20-minute spring swap (in your case somewhat more as they'll take the forks out do drain the old oil.
I shall report back once the parts get in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum and thankful for all the great information. The 390 is just a lot of fun!

I recently bought a 2018 390 Duke that has Andreani 105/KT7E fork kit and Ohlins KT801 shock. It was sprung for a heavy rider, so I just installed new springs using Fast Bike Industries recommendations for my weight (170 lbs. with no gear). The new fork spring is 7.8 N/mm (0.8 kg/mm) and the shock spring 115 N/mm (11.7 kg/mm). I set the fork oil height to the 90mm recommended by Andreani. This bike is used only on the street (no track days). I've set rider sag to 35mm front and rear as a starting point. The rear spring seems reasonable, but the front still feels pretty stiff. The ride over bumps is not pleasant! Braking as hard as possible, I am seeing only 115mm of front fork compression even with the generous sag number. (I'm assuming the Andreani kit does not change the stock 142mm of total front wheel travel.)

I notice that almost everyone who's installed Andreani cartridges mentions that they swapped out their initial spring for a softer one. What spring rates are you now using? (Please include your weight and riding style!)

Also, has anyone experimented with fork oil air gap? I'm thinking of removing oil to get less air spring effect. Any other suggestions for suspension setup?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
1,937 Posts
Hi Epee,

Welcome to the forum.
Interesting that the Andreani recommendation for an air gap is 90mm (I was not aware of this).
For my 200 I just received the Mupo Caliber22 fork inserts where the recommended air gap is 140mm (which accounts for just over 400ml instead of the 450ml OEM).
Anyway, my initial springs on the 390 with Andreani was 6.3 of which, with the preload fully out was still too harsh.
I had these swapped out for 5.3 Andreani springs which are much better.
My riding weight is approx 85 - 90 kg geared up incl a 10kg backpack.
The first also I hear of the Öhlins KT801, on my 390 I run a KT301 (only rebound, preload and length adjustable).
The fully adjustable Öhlins I know, for our 390, is the KT302 but checking their website it is no longer listed for our bikes.
Perhaps Öhlins has re-coded them.
B.t.w. I have a Nitron on the way to put on my 200, next month.
P.S. I have so far not yet experimented with the air gap but according to track coaches, this can certainly be done to fine-tune the bike for your weight and riding style.

As to my promise in #73:
I had to pay a USD 200 bribe to get my insert shipment from Italy released from Lao costumes :rolleyes:
The set came including AGIP/EMI fork oil 5W (1ltr).
Taking the old 2012 forks apart is a bit of a hassle with no real garage/workshop. (no bench vice).
Made a tool, steel strip 5mm thick with 3 holes to unscrew the OEM inserts.
Had a wooden block made with a 43mm hole in order to clamp the inner tube to take the foot off.
The right side (rebound) worked okay but the left side won't come off so far.
Cleaned the rebound fork completely and inserted the cartridge which is a bit of a challenge to ger the head on and secured with the lock nut as the spring is fighting the spanners.
We are in lockdown again so will need to wait till after Sept. 30th to get to a bench vice and give the left (compression) side another try.
I have put a list of fork oils for our bikes 5W in the forum for the ones wanting to play with this.

·
Super Moderator
1,937 Posts
Epee,

Here is a copy from the RC forum on the subject.
Here is claimed Andreani recommends a 130mm air gap which would be closer to my 140mm Mupo advice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
KTMasean, Thanks very much for your responses! You've provided a lot of useful information to digest.

First, the 90mm air gap I used was printed on the Andreani box:
Font Electronics accessory Wood Rectangle Metal

The Ohlins KT801 was a shock produced for 2017-2018 390 Dukes and is no longer offered by Ohlins. It has remote reservoir with compression and rebound adjusters, plus standard preload adjustment:
Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Motor vehicle

I installed 7.8 N/mm fork springs and 115 N/mm shock spring per Fast Bike Industries recommendation. (The previous owner of my bike had installed 9.3 N/mm fork springs and 130 N/mm shock spring.) I find the fork very harsh, which kind of overwhelms my assessment of the rear setup. I've just started tuning my setup, but things seem pretty far off. Even with the rebound and compression adjusters on the forks backed all the way out, I don't get fork response to a sharp compression (by hand) that I'd expect. The forks seemed overly damped. I'm quite sure this is not a mechanical problem, as I measure 10mm of fork stiction, which is fairly low. Unfortunately, it's a pain to get to the fork internals, since the handlebars prevent you from removing the fork caps with the forks on the bike...

The article you referenced from the RC390 forum was particularly interesting, as the OP was experiencing similar issues with the Andreani cartridges; harsh ride and inability to use the full suspension travel. Unfortunately, the thread ended before there was any real conclusion. The OP did say increasing air gap had minimal impact. The direction of the thread seemed to be indicating a hydraulic problem with the cartridges. I'll join that forum and contact the OP to see if he resolved the issues.

The 5.3 spring you installed is much lower rate than I have and your weight, with backpack, is greater than mine. What rear spring rate are you using on your Ohlins?

Thanks again for your help. I'll keep posting as I find new information.

·
Super Moderator
1,937 Posts
Hi Epee,

Perhaps the Misano EVO is different?
I do not recall what rear spring I have on my Öhlins KT301 and unfortunately can't check if there is any number on it atm as I am in another country from where my 390 is and the borders are closed.
I will contact my Andreani supplier in Thailand and ask about the air-gap and if there has been any change in this.

·
Registered
183 Posts
This is for the RC, not the Duke. They have different front suspension travel (125 mm vs 150 mm), which could explain the different part number and oil level.

Having said this, the Andreani kit I received for my second-gen Duke had 150 mm of travel even though since 2017 stock suspension has 142 mm. I think maybe Andreani missed the fact that newer Dukes have less front suspension travel? Result is, I had to slide the fork tubes higher into the triple clamp to retain the same ride height...

All in all, the Andreani cartridges are a definite improvement over stock for sporty riding, but if I were to do it again, I'd pay up for Ohlins. I hope that would let me avoid the ride height change, the unclear documentation, experimenting with different fork oil to achieve the damping I want etc.

61 - 80 of 87 Posts