KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi forum. I have had many bikes in the past. DR 350,DRZ400E,DRZ400sm. RD400 ,RD350YPVS,KTM 640 sm, Honda XR 250, 400,Yamaha WR 250F, Yam WR 250X, 600 Bandit.
I am looking at a commuter with style..I do 16 miles a day commute..town + faster road for a few miles.
The Duke 200,390 Is just what I am looking for light weight with style and some performance.
The only thing holding me back is the 'made in india' tag I am the same with the new hondas too ...cheaply manafactured in the far east. I would not touch the current Chinese bikes either.
As you see from my above list all of my bikes have been very reliable.
Is the build quality up to scratch on these bikes?
I may well have to wait to get more feed back ...U.k winter on the ktm could be pretty harsh on the bike.
The new 0% with 2 years warranty could be the way to go on a brand new 390.
I just can not see the Duke 390 as being anywhere as long lasting or reliable as a DRZ400,Yam WR250x, or an older KTM supermoto with Lc4 engine.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I too have owned various jap bikes including a drz400. I too was pretty worried on the build quality of the 390 before ordering one but I figured how long do you wait until they've proved themselves? They look well made and appear to use decent parts, fittings and fixings. The only thing on the bike that yells cheap to me is the steel rear sprocket.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Being a member on this forum for a little while now I haven't heard of too many complaints about the quality of the bike. The few complaints there have been don't seem to be a pattern or anything. I think that if that is the one thing holding you back, you should just go for it. There is a warranty if something goes wrong, and you won't really be able to tell exactly how long the bike will last by waiting on the sidelines.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Being a member on this forum for a little while now I haven't heard of too many complaints about the quality of the bike. The few complaints there have been don't seem to be a pattern or anything. I think that if that is the one thing holding you back, you should just go for it. There is a warranty if something goes wrong, and you won't really be able to tell exactly how long the bike will last by waiting on the sidelines.
Thats what impresses me so far, haven't seen many complaints at all about quality or anything even a bit related to it. Overall this bike seems good.

·
Registered
817 Posts
For the money you hand over the bike is quality mate, I wouldnt buy a CF Moto or Hyosung but I would gladly hand over the full price on another 390 tomorrow. Yes I have some quality issues but thats me and a lot of it relates to having the same sort of bikes you've had so Ive always been spoiled with quality components. Fast Bikes (brit mag) love it and have done some good articles on it. Hit Rootsy up on FB and see what he says.

·
Registered
208 Posts
For the money you hand over the bike is quality mate, I wouldnt buy a CF Moto or Hyosung but I would gladly hand over the full price on another 390 tomorrow. Yes I have some quality issues but thats me and a lot of it relates to having the same sort of bikes you've had so Ive always been spoiled with quality components. Fast Bikes (brit mag) love it and have done some good articles on it. Hit Rootsy up on FB and see what he says.
What quality issues have you had with your KTM Duke 390? Have you discussed them at all on the forum?

·
Registered
264 Posts
I've only had a few niggles. Some of the paint is so so, the stickers damage easy, the back sprocket is clearly a cheap low quality item and the grips are obviously off some sort of Indian commuter bike. However the engine, suspension, frame, seat, wiring (superb), switch gear etc all seem good.

I am not sure of the long term effects of weather but that applies to ALL KTM's I see in Singapore -the sun/rain seem to wear the plastic (orange) very quickly.

If quality if your issue I really don't think it's an issue.

·
Registered
209 Posts
If you have concerns you'll have to keep in mind that KTM engineers gave the Duke so many plastic pieces in order to reach that ridiculous weight (i.e. tank) that you may feel you're buying "cheap" stuff at the very first sight. However, plastic pieces doesn't mean bad quality, it's just half the puzzle in their quest to achieve one of the funniest bikes I've ever ridden! Yes, the bike is small, plastic and made in India but is far, far away of being crap.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Every Duke and RC8 has plastic tanks, they originally had issues in the U.S with the Ethanol they put in the fuel. It made them swell/distort, I think KTM changed the plastic to cope.

I get what you mean mate, just thought Id add that cause Im bored........

·
Registered
108 Posts
The TFT displays are notorious for condensation.
I had mine replaced recently, and the new one had condensation in it the next day.
Apparently, KTM is working on a new one...
Apart from that, it's excellent quality-wise IMO.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Pain in the ass to work on compared to my drz400. Some things seem like after thoughts (cant remove cam chain tensioner without removing part of the throttle body assembly; yet if either was moved 1/4" it would be fine(this is on 2018).) Valves were extremely tight at 600 miles. So much so i wonder how it was adjusted when it left the factory. Sometimes the bike would just cut off for no reason when I would go from WOT to closed throttle. TFT display gets filled with moisture.

Still happy with the bike. Good "bang for the buck". Great fun

1 - 14 of 14 Posts