KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Just bought the Allballsracing upper and lower direction bearing kit from a french seller : 31,40 euro delivered ! Great ! Will be here end of this week .

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
If the label is in indecipherable Gaelic, it has to be mysteriously good! Wish I could taste it, Kinky!

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Good news, Yves! Now you're all set to be the Guinea Pig...er, uumm, the pioneer, again!

·
Registered
723 Posts
Neither 390 variant uses bearings at the swingarm pivot. Instead, a set of inner and outer bushings is fitted at each side.
Ah, ok.

No surprise they went for a cheaper option than bearings.

Sounds like they went for an EVEN cheaper option than 'regular' bushes and saved a few more Rupees by not greasing them :mad:

Reactions: Diploman

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
http://www.ktmduke390forum.com/forum/ktm-duke-general-discussion/24618-duke-starts-wo

If the label is in indecipherable Gaelic, it has to be mysteriously good! Wish I could taste it, Kinky!
That could certainly be arranged- hope to have the Flying Nun on the road next week. Since my ancestors are Scots- perhaps Ya could tell me how to sneak a haggis past the TSA?

·
Premium Member
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Good news, Yves! Now you're all set to be the Guinea Pig...er, uumm, the pioneer, again!
Well , it should not always be the same ones to function as guinea pigs .. er pioneers , no Will ? You have done your fair share .

·
Registered
478 Posts
a small rock and the wheel or tire could have permenately bad alignment.

Before checking the bearings, just take out the wheels and have them for aligment check. If the wheel and handlebar spins ok without funny noises, the bearings sould be ok.

duke 390 wheels are not the most indistructable wheels on the market....

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had a very similar experience and although the rear tyre looked fine tread-wise, it was a little squared off so I changed it and that seems to have worked. it was on the original Metzeler M5 and had done about 2800 (fast) miles. Worth a try...?

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
http://www.ktmduke390forum.com/forum/ktm-duke-general-discussion/24618-duke-starts-wo

Plant your bike on something sturdy, (so that both wheels are off the ground)- start the motor,put it in gear, and point a strobe light at the rear wheel- you will be amazed at what this shows you.
With the handlebars rigidly held, spin the front wheel as fast as you can, and strobe it also. (I read about this in one of the American bike rags, many years ago.)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all, this is my first post, so I may not be doing everything right but here goes. I was reading about how the Duke's swingarm bearings are assemble dry, so I looked at the parts manual that I had downloaded. It says that the bearings are IGUS bearings. These are basically a plastic bearing made of a solid lubricant (Teflon?) and are designed to run dry; no grease needed or desired. This type of bearing is claimed to be superior to sintered bronze bearings ('Oilite' bearings). A needle bearing would probably be better still but then you need to lubricate it. For such a light low powered bike, these IGUS bearings sound like a good design choice. You can look this up at IGUS.com.
I hope this clears up this issue some.
Tinker

·
Registered
256 Posts
Sounds like good news!!

I actually use IGUS bearings in a few projects at work. It's trus that in this case it's a good application or at least a cost effective one.

I didn't have time to take a look at it this weekend, but knowing that it's what's in there, I probably won't bother to take it appart.

I looked at the owners manual and service manual that I have and didn't find that info... Which brings me to the following question : Would you be ever so nice and share that manual with me (us). I am compiling a comprehensive information bank for the Duke... I would appreciated it!

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Tinker, Thanks for that insightful analysis of the Duke's swingarm bushings. As Luc asked, we would be very glad to see the manual's reference to IGUS bushings. Perhaps, in our "old think" we did not give KTM credit for forward thinking and for adopting inexpensive but effective and low-maintenance modern materials. If the bushings used at assembly by Bajaj are indeed IGUS, then I would agree that this seems to be a good design choice and we can stop worrying about the swingarm pivot.

Welcome to the forum, Tinker. Great first post!

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
The steering stem bearings, however, are another matter altogether. No excuse for assembling them dry.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Will loosening the yoke top bolt and adjuster allow adequate exposure to the bearings to inject some grease, or is total disassembly necessary?

Are the balls loose, or enclosed in cages? Don't want to play "52-pickup" with a bunch of steel BB's in the shop, 'specially with all the "Black Holes" that seem to swallow up dropped screws, springs, and miscellaneous other bits that fall from time to time... ;-)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Will loosening the yoke top bolt and adjuster allow adequate exposure to the bearings to inject some grease, or is total disassembly necessary? Are the balls loose, or enclosed in cages? Don't want to play "52-pickup" with a bunch of steel BB's in the shop, 'specially with all the "Black Holes" that seem to swallow up dropped screws, springs, and miscellaneous other bits that fall from time to time... ;-)
Looks like the bearings are caged, upper and lower, if the parts manual fiche is accurate.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
John, Here is the thread that started alarm over the steering stem bearings:

http://www.ktmduke390forum.com/foru...ing/19082-problem-steering-head-bearings.html

Yes, the bearings are caged balls. Didi's bike is a 2013 - one of the first.

I am ashamed to say that, because they seem to work perfectly and my bike lives in a garage, I have as yet not disassembled the steering head to grease the bearings (if necessary). It is on my agenda for next winter - probably will upgrade to All Balls tapered.

It looks like, if you took off the steering head lock nut, you could drop the stem in the headstock enough to access the lower bearing for grease, and the top one should be equally exposed.

If you happen to get the impulse to do this, please document with photos.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Parts list

I was able to download a parts list from 'KTMAMERICA.COM', otherwise known as holeshot engineering. They are a private dealer (I believe); not a part of KTM. The address is: http://ktmamerica.com/part_books/2015/street/2015 BLACK DUKE 390 CHASSIS PARTS BOOK.pdf

Note that there are separate parts list for black vs white. I have dealt with holeshot in the past when I had a 1997 Duke 620 and their service was excellent. I plan to use them again for most of my parts needs. There are local dealers but generally they don't stock much in the way of parts.

This forum has been very helpful to me and I'm glad to be able to help in return. I found out about the SPAL fan here and was able to order and install one when mine failed at 113 miles.
Tinker

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Tinker, We very much appreciate your valuable contributions to our knowledge and reference bases. Clearly you are a knowlegeable and experienced rider - your input to our discussions here would be most welcome.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts