KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

My Duke is my first throttle by wire bike and something has been bothering me.

Why does an electronic throttle system simulate cable slack?

AFAIK there is no logical reason for my right grip to have any amount of play / dead zone. Can't the spring tension be set to hold the throttle fully closed and the all knowing ECU can calibrate a new dead zone for proper idling based on the resting grip position?

Is there any functionality to this grip slop or is this just the eThrottle equivalent of Apple adding digital leather to the calendar app? (A throwback to the old days to help new tech feel more comfortable/familiar.)

Cheers,
Ando

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Agreed that you still want/need a throttle dead zone, but this could be determined by the ECU instead of an arbitrary mechanical slop.

Heck, take it a step further you could have throttle dead zone be configurable by the end user either via the TFT or with a dealer visit. (With of course, a minimum dead zone for safety.)

(The throttle feels perfectly fine in use, but I play with it at red lights and these odd thoughts come up.)

·
Registered
378 Posts
Maybe it's difficult/impossible to eliminate all the slack? Even in joysticks there are (albeit adjustable) dead zones that you'd need to prevent overzealous controls =/

·
Registered
775 Posts
Cable slack is to prevent unintentional jerks and stalling. Freeplay for both clutch and throttle help a lot especially throttle when braking hard, so that the throttle cuts instead of holding at a set RPM unknowingly by your hands.

Cheers!
VJ

·
Super Moderator
1,235 Posts
Sa soon as your hands are doing things that you are not aware of, don't get on a bike.

Cable slack is to prevent unintentional jerks and stalling. Freeplay for both clutch and throttle help a lot especially throttle when braking hard, so that the throttle cuts instead of holding at a set RPM unknowingly by your hands.

Cheers!
VJ

1 - 6 of 6 Posts