KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of weirdest thing happened today. I stopped at a signal light, turned off the vehicle using kill switch holding clutch while in gear. After a few seconds the screen went blank (note: key was still in ON position). Pulled my bike to the side and tried to switch off and switch on (using key) for almost 7 attempts (which failed). After a few minutes for the last try I turned the key ON (it was seated in OFF position all those time) and the screen was back ON and here's the weird part - "the odometer was under reading" ie., Last seen was somewhere 585km, when it turned on (in the last try) it was reading 555km which was the reading when I left home.
Someone pls explain what the heck happened to all those km I rode 馃槀.

Registered
Your dashboard ECU reset, which causes it to reset the odometer shown. I think the engine ECU still keeps track of the actual mileage somehow. Try to go to a dealer and have them reflash your headlight with latest firmware to avoid this from happening in the future.

If they tell you you have the latest firmware, have them make sure they're looking at dashboard/headlight ECU, not the engine ECU. There are two separate control units in 390 Duke, and they have two different firmware versions.

Registered
I seem to recall posts stating that the bike doesn鈥檛 like to be turned off whilst coasting to a stop so it might count in gear with clutch in the same. Seems to cause restarting problems.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your dashboard ECU reset, which causes it to reset the odometer shown. I think the engine ECU still keeps track of the actual mileage somehow. Try to go to a dealer and have them reflash your headlight with latest firmware to avoid this from happening in the future.

If they tell you you have the latest firmware, have them make sure they're looking at dashboard/headlight ECU, not the engine ECU. There are two separate control units in 390 Duke, and they have two different firmware versions.
Also the engine turns off frequently while slowing down (holding clutch) when the vehicle is in 3rd or 4th gear (mostly 3rd). I'm able to start the engine right after it turns off. It happenes atleast 4 times in a 40km ride.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I seem to recall posts stating that the bike doesn鈥檛 like to be turned off whilst coasting to a stop so it might count in gear with clutch in the same. Seems to cause restarting problems.
Also the engine turns off frequently while slowing down (holding clutch) when the vehicle is in 3rd or 4th gear (mostly 3rd). I'm able to start the engine right after it turns off. It happenes atleast 4 times in a 40km ride.

Super Moderator
Is there any reason you activate the clutch while slowing down?
Do you never use engine braking?

Registered
How much are you holding the clutch in? When I have this issue it鈥檚 always because I鈥檝e not quite pulled the clutch in enough. If the clutch is still engaging then the rear wheel under braking will stall the engine.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How much are you holding the clutch in? When I have this issue it鈥檚 always because I鈥檝e not quite pulled the clutch in enough. If the clutch is still engaging then the rear wheel under braking will stall the engine.
No, I pull the clutch full in.
It doesn't happen while I slow down in any other gear (other than 3 and 4)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is there any reason you activate the clutch while slowing down?
Do you never use engine braking?
I am quite sure it's not engine stall. I used engine braking a lot in my rc200 (it has no slipper clutch) while on my duke 390 I don't use engine braking much, the front and rear brake are sufficient, I'm still in the engine break in period so I don't ride very hard so as to use engine braking for additional stopping pwr.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

It happened again today, turned ON the key (the screen turned ON), turned on the kill switch and when I pressed the the engine start switch all electronics turned OFF.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It happened again today, turned ON the key (the screen turned ON), turned on the kill switch and when I pressed the the engine start switch all electronics turned OFF.
Later
After this, the vehicle isn't turning ON

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Did you try taking it to a dealer?
Took it yesterday, they said it was a loose bolt at the main battery connection point. I asked them to flash both headligh and engine ECUs. Can a loose bolt cause the electronics to trip upon pressing the start button?
I have ridden about 15km. There is no occurrence of the above issue in those 15kms. Hope it never occurs and the loose bolt be the true cause for that problem.

Registered
Took it yesterday, they said it was a loose bolt at the main battery connection point. I asked them to flash both headligh and engine ECUs. Can a loose bolt cause the electronics to trip upon pressing the start button?
I have ridden about 15km. There is no occurrence of the above issue in those 15kms. Hope it never occurs and the loose bolt be the true cause for that problem.
If that bolt is part of the electric connection then sure. Because the electric starter uses a lot more power than any other part/device in our bikes. A bad connection might be good enough for light, etc. but not good enough for the starter motor. And if the starter motor together with a bad electrical connection brings the voltage down to, let's say, 6V, then lots of things, including the ECU, won't work anymore and probably reset.

Even with all good connections I measured that the main voltage (measured on the connector in the back) goes down to about 9V when the starter motor is engaged for a short moment.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If that bolt is part of the electric connection then sure. Because the electric starter uses a lot more power than any other part/device in our bikes. A bad connection might be good enough for light, etc. but not good enough for the starter motor. And if the starter motor together with a bad electrical connection brings the voltage down to, let's say, 6V, then lots of things, including the ECU, won't work anymore and probably reset.

Even with all good connections I measured that the main voltage (measured on the connector in the back) goes down to about 9V when the starter motor is engaged for a short moment.
Yes the bolt was part of the battery connection.
I hope then the problem was just the loose bolt and the problem is solved.
Thank-you for the information.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts