KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had engine blow ups on 2018+ 390 Duke models? Just read something on Reddit about a guy who’s engine blew up around 4,500 miles on a 2019 390 Duke model almost causing him to have a terrible crash. I have the same model and year so I’m kind of nervous about it now.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Wow!! I actually saved the full size picture to my desktop, and all I can say is "MAN! That's INTENSE!"
Ya know what's really funny-weird about this engine is the way the counter-balancer is actually a half-moon that counter-rotates by sliding between the main crank weights, narrowly missing connection with the connecting rod big end.
And that outer bearing support you see, in the part of the case that blew away, is actually the counter-balancer bearing support. In the picture I uploaded, the other end of the counter-balancer shaft, opposite its drive gear, is the WAPU nut(#9); IOW, the water pump is driven directly on this shaft, yes.
I've fallen down a lot, and ya' know... what just hapn'd to this guy reminds (and reinforces to) me why i always have one finger resting on the clutch!!!

·
Registered
135 Posts
But back to reality... if you want some really good advice about hp maintenance, treat this bike like it's one of the 4-stroke off-road competition bikes. In other words, don't ever wait for the oil to tell you it's too tired to travel, change it often. This is a plane-bearing (pressurized oil-film) motor, like a car, where the rod meets the crank. The slipper piston is also very short... and it is a forged part that should always be warmed to op temp first, and it rides in a Nikasil (plated) bore. IOW, lube is really, really important.
Thanks for letting me get that out, i sorta feel a little better now.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good stuff. This didn't happen to my bike by the way, someone else's bike who posted on Reddit. I can't imagine this is happening all the time, especially on the 2019 models.

·
Super Moderator
1,076 Posts
I think a very one-sided post.
We have no idea what happened prior to this, neither any mentioning of how this bike has been treated/maintained.
It obviously remains sad and unfortunate to the owner/rider of this bike.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yeah when I saw this on Reddit I immediately was skeptical. Since purchasing my 390 duke, I've seen and read lots of comments about the bike, and I'm always amazed at how many (usually new) riders talk about the bike having lots of vibration. When I saw this picture I immediately said to myself "how was this bike ridden? How was it maintained? What type of oil was used? Were the screens and filters changed? Was the oil at the proper level? Was the bike overheating? Did it have adequate coolant? Proper coolant?" I don't know...I'm no expert but I see many young riders just get on their bike and go, usually on worn or under-inflated tires. And, in my opinion, many new riders don't understand how engines work, and they think that riding around at 1500 rpms must be good for the engine.

·
Registered
72 Posts
There is always a back story that never gets told.

I work for an OEM power sports manufacture and its always "our" fault, never the incompetent driver/customer

·
Registered
6 Posts
But back to reality... if you want some really good advice about hp maintenance, treat this bike like it's one of the 4-stroke off-road competition bikes. In other words, don't ever wait for the oil to tell you it's too tired to travel, change it often. This is a plane-bearing (pressurized oil-film) motor, like a car, where the rod meets the crank. The slipper piston is also very short... and it is a forged part that should always be warmed to op temp first, and it rides in a Nikasil (plated) bore. IOW, lube is really, really important.
Thanks for letting me get that out, i sorta feel a little better now.
Amsoil.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts