KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the engine check light has appeared tonight, on my 2019 Duke 390.

The bike has only done 450 miles from new. I recently fitted a lithium battery (Exide, same make as the OE)

Also l have had a Rapid Bike Easy fitted for a couple hundred miles.

I am guessing it’s one of these that’s brought the EML on.

Is there any way to reset it? Or will the light go off when the fault is fixed.

I will try disconnecting the RBE unit, although it’s made the bike much smoother so it will be a shame not to have it.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Read off the issue code, that'll give you a fuller picture.

After I installed RBEvo on my 2017 Duke, it threw a few CELs, all of them were "mix too rich", from the RBE adding more fuel than normal. After a while, they stopped popping up, so there's that.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply.

How do l read the issue code? I assume l need some sort of code reader for that.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I had a similar issue when I fitted my Rapid bike unit my fault because I'd missed one connection light went off after a few restart cycles .

·
Registered
996 Posts
Contact the provider/manufacturer of the piggyback, read this issue a couple of times now.
The battery will not be the problem I think.
The OME batteries in my 200 as well as in my 390 were Yuasa batteries.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Read off the issue code, that'll give you a fuller picture.

After I installed RBEvo on my 2017 Duke, it threw a few CELs, all of them were "mix too rich", from the RBE adding more fuel than normal. After a while, they stopped popping up, so there's that.

Varroa i am experiencing the same issue right now with my 2017 fitted with the Rapid Bike Evo. Check Engine light started showing up about 3 weeks ago it disappeared after a couple of days but now has come back also i am still experience stalling issue when clutching in at stop lights not as bad as before fitting the RB EVO but still happens on occasion. I do not have a scanner to read the code to confirm that they are "mix too rich" codes. Fitted the Rapid Bike EVO around the 800-900 mile mark and now at 1200-1300 mile i started experiencing this check engine light issue. Guess ill just continue to ride the bike to see if it resolves itself since my nearest KTM dealer is about 3 hours away. Can you provide some insight on what you used to pull the code? and if possible how to reset it?

·
Registered
201 Posts
I never got any check engine lights when I did my Rapidbike Evo. It shouldn't.

·
Registered
389 Posts
My personal experience of the stalling issue is that it’s caused by not pulling the clutch in enough when downshifting. At low rpm, the clutch drag will stall the engine.

I only get this when I’ve not ridden the bike for a while. Once I remember which bike I’m riding then the problem goes away.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The check engine light has gone off now, l disconnected the RBE and on the third ride after that (two yesterday and one today) the light disappeared.
Sadly this means the bike is no longer so smooth at low RPM.
I’ve emailed the RBE supplier to ask their advice.

·
Registered
201 Posts
ok, so you need to check all your connections that you did when you installed the Rapidbike.

If you can pull the code, you will know which connection is diddled.

the TPS connection is the only one that's not simple, so I'd start there, but it could be any of them.

Oh and check your ground.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I never got any check engine lights when I did my Rapidbike Evo. It shouldn't.

That might depend on how lean or rich your setup is. I would imagine if it's leaner than stock, then whatever adjustments RBE would make would be less likely to fall on the rich side.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think l found the problem!

I ordered the Rapid Bike Easy version KRBEA-036
What l should have ordered (and l unfortunately didn’t notice when ordering) was the KRBEA2-036

Apparently the “settings” adjustment relates to the type of lambda sensor fitted.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I think l found the problem!

I ordered the Rapid Bike Easy version KRBEA-036
What l should have ordered (and l unfortunately didn’t notice when ordering) was the KRBEA2-036

Apparently the “settings” adjustment relates to the type of lambda sensor fitted.
Do you have a link to the product? Im just curious

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
An update.

I contacted RBE and they said both units are fine with the 2018/19 Duke 390.

The later version only difference is it has a position 7 for Kawasaki (according to RBE)

If the engine check light appears they said l should change the fuel adjustment from +2 to +1

So l will try that.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I re installed the RBE unit and after a couple of rides the **** “check engine” light is on again.
So l turned the fuelling adjustment down to +1 and will see if the light goes out.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
With the RBE fuelling adjustment turned to +1 (from +2) the check engine light has disappeared.

So that looks like the solution. I will see how it goes.

The RBE (Rapid Bike Easy) still works on +1 the bike is still a lot smoother at low RPM

I am posting all this in case anybody else has the same issues, as these tuning boxes seem very popular.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts