KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 1 month ago my Duke 390 engine would stall when down shifting and then would start again. 1 week ago my fuel ran out and I couldn't restart after adding more fuel. Bike was loaded on to truck and returned to my home (2 hours). Upon unloading bike out of curiosity I attempted to start it. Surprise it started and ran OK. Next day I rode 20 kms to have new rear tire fitted. No problems. After tire fit I returned home. Alas half way on return trip engine died and would not start. On attempting to start, motor would crank and backfire but wouldn't run. Question: Is this a FUEL problem. Dirty fuel filter? Faulty fuel pump? Your advice much appreciated! By the way I am in Vietnam and language barrier is a problem.

·
Registered
19 Posts
About 1 month ago my Duke 390 engine would stall when down shifting and then would start again. 1 week ago my fuel ran out and I couldn't restart after adding more fuel. Bike was loaded on to truck and returned to my home (2 hours). Upon unloading bike out of curiosity I attempted to start it. Surprise it started and ran OK. Next day I rode 20 kms to have new rear tire fitted. No problems. After tire fit I returned home. Alas half way on return trip engine died and would not start. On attempting to start, motor would crank and backfire but wouldn't run. Question: Is this a FUEL problem. Dirty fuel filter? Faulty fuel pump? Your advice much appreciated! By the way I am in Vietnam and language barrier is a problem.
My best guess is that your injector is busted as you ran it dry. Typical fuel injected bike precaution is that you never let it run dry else the fuel injector draws air and the metering valves inside gets busted and you will need to change you fuel injector in that case.

·
Administrator
2,431 Posts
Not really.
A fuel injector is a solenoid-operated valve.
If fuel, water or air runs through is when the electromagnetic plunger is activated doesn't do anything to the injector itself.
Don't put a constant current in the solenoid/injector though.

My best guess is that your injector is busted as you ran it dry. Typical fuel injected bike precaution is that you never let it run dry else the fuel injector draws air and the metering valves inside gets busted and you will need to change you fuel injector in that case.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.