KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I got 2016 Duke390 bs3 and it was lying for 3 months because of oil mixed and engine stalling issue. We solved all problems with changing water pump seals + head gasket + pick up coil. I got back my bike 2 days ago and I drove it about 2 hours. Today, I came home after 1 hour driving, I checked engine oil and saw this:

Carbon Rim Auto part Audio equipment Metal

As you see, engine oil became red (it was brown first). I first suspect oil mixed again cause my coolant is ABRO and it's red color. But there is no decrease in coolant reservoir. Plus there is no increase in oil. I think they filled the engine with motul 5100 15w40, instead of 15w50 at service (I told them about it 2 times). Now I wonder if 15w40 heating so much and it's color turns red cause of that. Just a thought. Is there anyone knows something about this?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I don't think it would change color from overheating. You could drain it and see if coolant separates from the oil in a clear container.

·
Super Moderator
1,811 Posts
Motorcycle engine oil will not turn red, at least not when getting hot or getting mixed with so little coolant you don't even notice any difference in either level.
I would go back to that dealer/workshop and ask to see what oil they used physically, not only being told.
15-W40 or 15-W50 should both be okay unless you ride in extreme conditions.

Hello, I got 2016 Duke390 bs3 and it was lying for 3 months because of oil mixed and engine stalling issue. We solved all problems with changing water pump seals + head gasket + pick up coil. I got back my bike 2 days ago and I drove it about 2 hours. Today, I came home after 1 hour driving, I checked engine oil and saw this:

View attachment 53725

As you see, engine oil became red (it was brown first). I first suspect oil mixed again cause my coolant is ABRO and it's red color. But there is no decrease in coolant reservoir. Plus there is no increase in oil. I think they filled the engine with motul 5100 15w40, instead of 15w50 at service (I told them about it 2 times). Now I wonder if 15w40 heating so much and it's color turns red cause of that. Just a thought. Is there anyone knows something about this?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think it would change color from overheating. You could drain it and see if coolant separates from the oil in a clear container.
I was gonna do exact same thing today, friend. Thank you. Let's see what's gonna happen.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Motorcycle engine oil will not turn red, at least not when getting hot or getting mixed with so little coolant you don't even notice any difference in either level.
I would go back to that dealer/workshop and ask to see what oil they used physically, not only being told.
15-W40 or 15-W50 should both be okay unless you ride in extreme conditions.
Cyprus is a hot country. Is it include to extreme conditions? :) I called service and sent photo of oil. They told me the color is pretty normal. They also put in 10w40 Motul 5100 cause they had not 15w50 while they repair my bike. I will change it to 15w50 anyway. Btw in this topic, someone complaining almost same thing and so much people said to him it's pretty normal.

https://www.reddit.com/r/KTM/comments/7l6cn1

·
Super Moderator
1,811 Posts
I don't consider Cyprus extreme.
Creamy oil is something completely different from red oil.
Creamy oil indicates that there is a coolant leak.

Cyprus is a hot country. Is it include to extreme conditions? :) I called service and sent photo of oil. They told me the color is pretty normal. They also put in 10w40 Motul 5100 cause they had not 15w50 while they repair my bike. I will change it to 15w50 anyway. Btw in this topic, someone complaining almost same thing and so much people said to him it's pretty normal.

https://www.reddit.com/r/KTM/comments/7l6cn1

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't consider Cyprus extreme.
Creamy oil is something completely different from red oil.
Creamy oil indicates that there is a coolant leak.
I pulled out some oil from engine block and it's not seemed so red to me. It's more like dark brown. Maybe I shouldn't be worry.

Paint Wood Ingredient Triangle Gadget

Food Kitchen utensil Ingredient Automotive lighting Recipe

·
Registered
747 Posts
If your oil got that dirty that quickly I’d suggest that you change it out again fairly soon as it appears to be flushing the remains of your previous issue.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If your oil got that dirty that quickly I’d suggest that you change it out again fairly soon as it appears to be flushing the remains of your previous issue.
It's been like 200-250 km after we open and repaired it. Maybe cause of that it's kinda dirty. I will change it to 15w50 in couple of hundreds km.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts