KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, new owner of Duke 390 2018, i have a question about engine oil. In the owners manual they are recommending on 15w50 engine oil semi-synthetic. But most of the people are recommending 15w50 fully-synthetic. So what should I use and why?
And the Motorex 4T top speed 15w50 synthetic preformance is it fully synthetic? It will do a good job on my bike?
Thanks!!

·
Registered
317 Posts
What he said. You can use other brands also like Shell Rotella, Amsoil and Mobil 1.
All of which do not have the proper additive package for a motorcycle gearbox with straight cut gears. I will avoid using any of those in my bike. But I do prefer Mobil 1 in my auto

·
Registered
328 Posts
I would stick to the exact oil that the user manual lists. Here're a few reasons, from a dude that works at Motorex and knows a great deal about oils. Particularly interesting is the bit about silver plating on bearings that was worn off by the wrong oil:

So I don’t have to use the brand of oil that my handbook suggests?

No, but remember that companies might have worked together during development, like KTM and Motorex. And it can – if very rarely – be a case that you absolutely must use exactly the right oil, but it will be part of the specification…

The 2007 KTM 690 used silver-plated bearings, but the oil manufacturers weren’t informed. It soon became clear that the oils were stripping the plating off, leading to a lot of recalls. A new oil was quickly developed with Motorex that was safe for this engine, and was shipped with every new bike, before the plating process was dropped from later models. The 2008 models carried a warning in the owner’s manual, but it’s something worth knowing if you’re buying a used one around that age that hasn’t had the bearings replaced…

·
Registered
2 Posts
What you want is Motorex 4T 15w/50 FORMULA synthetic Blend. do a search for exactly that and you will find it. It is EXACTLY what comes in your bike and is the RECOMMENDED oil for it. The jug has yellow on the label.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Usually the more expensive the better. Expensive Synthetics or semi synthetic have add-ons that prevent oxidation and keep the viscosity for many miles. Mobil, amsoil, motul, liquimolly have very good lubricants.

Sent from my ASUS_X00HD using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Bottomline, change it as hard as you ride. if your hitting the rev limiter often... change often. 🙆‍♂️👍

1 - 13 of 13 Posts