KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was out for a lovely spirited ride over the Natchez Trace near Nashville and getting toward the tail end of it my back end slid out through a turn at a stop light. At the next light another rider pulled up alongside and mentioned that my bike was smoking. So I pulled in to a nearby parking lot and sure enough, oil all over the engine, swingarm and rear tire. And my boots, pantlegs, dripping from the lower fairing, everywhere. Just had the oil changed a few weeks back at a local dealership and have ridden it since then with no problems and no signs of a leak so not sure what brought this on. Also no power loss, no knocking nothing that would immediately scream head gasket. As luck would have it I was only a couple miles from my office where I keep a couple of cargo trailers so the other ride gave me his pillion seat over there where I had my wife bring the SUV so we could hook up a trailer and haul the bike home. Upon closer inspection the engine is completed cover top to bottom and there is nothing left in the sight glass so I I can't clearly tell where the leak originated. As much oil was on the rear tire I am lucky that I didn't have any problems on the ride. I'm just going to haul the bike straight back to the shop that worked on it and let them clean it and find the leak. Oh well weather is turning cold soon but I was hoping to get a few more rides in.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I will add that on the right side of the engine, the engine is clean above the head gasket, but on the left and rear of the engine there is oil all the way up to the valve cover gasket.

·
Super Moderator
1,296 Posts
Difficult to say what caused this from a distance but as you're saying you just had the oil changed, did you also have the valve check done?
If so perhaps one of the valve cover gaskets is leaking?
Hope it is a minor and quick solved problem, good luck.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did the valves late last year about 500 miles ago, hadn't had a leak until this past weekend. That was my first thought also however. Unfortunately I am working away from home this year and don't have anything but a very basic toolbag with me so stripping the bike down and diagnosing this myself is not something I have the capability nor the physical space to do.

·
Super Moderator
1,296 Posts
Still interesting to know what caused this, please keep us in the loop.
Oil spraying out of a tiny hole onto a larger patch may look like a huge leak, not necessarily so though.
Fingers crossed Bigshankhank.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I feel sheepish, turns out the leak is coming from the valve cover. And since I was the one who did the valves, that means this is my fault. Thing is I rode it almost 70 miles right after the valves were done and it was oil-tight, followed the torque specs on the cover bolts, made sure the rubber o-ring gasket wasn't folded. I've done valves on six different bikes from twins to fours, never had one leak.
How embarrassing. Well it gave me an excuse to replace the rear tire.

·
Super Moderator
1,296 Posts
Good to hear Bigshankhank,

An easy fix and by the sound of your report no lasting damage plus a new rear tyre all good. :D
That tyre did you get (brand & size?)

Well I feel sheepish, turns out the leak is coming from the valve cover. And since I was the one who did the valves, that means this is my fault. Thing is I rode it almost 70 miles right after the valves were done and it was oil-tight, followed the torque specs on the cover bolts, made sure the rubber o-ring gasket wasn't folded. I've done valves on six different bikes from twins to fours, never had one leak.
How embarrassing. Well it gave me an excuse to replace the rear tire.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts