KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.... but didn't know where to go! Keep in mind this is an Indian article, so some of the niggle with the Duke 390 may not apply to North American riders.

Things You Wanted To Know About The KTM 390 Duke, But Didn’t Know Who To Ask

mounting luggage on the Duke 390/200 is going to be a bother. The rear seat is pretty small and tail bags require unnecessary precision to mount so that they don’t impinge on your space. Two-up touring is impossible without significant mods creating space for luggage as well as for the pillion.
how many here are interested in the duke as a touring bike, or intend to ride 2 up long distances? In India this is concern as for many Motos are the only source of transportation.

in terms of riding position, the Duke is cramped on long rides. This become more obvious if you’re going at a steady pace and then need to shift around in your seat. You will discover that unless you are Marc Marquez-sized there isn’t much squirming room. In my case, upping the pace solves this issue but it exists. The biggest ergonomics issue though is the footpeg position, which is a bit extreme and towards the end of the (thousand kilometre) riding day
Might be the first mod then, will have to have a sit first...

100kmph is 5,000rpm in sixth and 120kmph is 6,500rpm. These revs are quite comfortable for sustained highway work on the KTM and that alone changes the nature of the highway game for the KTM. The 200 was frantic and sustained 120kmph, apart from being illegal, was strenuous because it meant you had to sit at 8,500rpm or higher all the time.
sounds comfortable at higher speeds, 75 MPH at 6,500 is more then adequate for the majority..

In that sense, KTM offering ABS as standard on the 390 Duke is applause-worthy and other manufacturers really should take the step. In Europe, it will be soon be mandatory for motorcycles to offer standard ABS.
how soon before that goes down in NA...

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I think 2 up riding not being all that possible was something anyone could easily tell from the pictures, too bad it wasn't made to be a bit more practical, still a great bike.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Sounds like the riding position isn't the most comfortable. I'm especially nervous now because I am a tall guy at 6'2". I don't want to have a bike that isn't comfortable at all to ride. I will have to have a a long sit on the KTM Duke 390 before I make my final decision.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think 2 up riding not being all that possible was something anyone could easily tell from the pictures, too bad it wasn't made to be a bit more practical, still a great bike.
2 up touring is impossible, not 2 up riding... all motorcycles are impractical...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Sounds like the riding position isn't the most comfortable. I'm especially nervous now because I am a tall guy at 6'2".
I'm 5'8" and find my 390 a touch cramped. Especially the seat, which locks you in one position with very few options for stretching out.

Unless you have disproportionately short legs, at 6'2" you'll certainly be uncomfortable. And if you have long legs, you'll look ridiculous as well.

bm

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'm 5'8" and find my 390 a touch cramped. Especially the seat, which locks you in one position with very few options for stretching out.

Unless you have disproportionately short legs, at 6'2" you'll certainly be uncomfortable. And if you have long legs, you'll look ridiculous as well.

bm
It sounds as if I may need to look for an after market "tall seat" because I am 5' 10".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts