KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to install a new set of grips and discovered a WTF. After cutting off the grip, I see that the throttle tube has cogs on both ends that lock into slots on the grip. This means that only grips with the slots fit. Went to the dealer, and had to order a throttle tube / grip combo set. Thankfully it was only $9. Guess the G2 throttle tube is next on the list so I'm not forever stuck with stock grips.

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
I used a dremel with a sanding drum and took off the 4 outer (pinky side) nubs in about 4 minutes. You don't want to take off the inner (thumb side) nubs as they provide a nice grip stop.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Smart... gonna have to do some surgery.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Man if you see what i use to do with my bikes I could say that is a mix of ER with ITU after several surgeries.
I'm modifying my duke and when I finish I will create a new thread regarding it. Cut this ASAP:):):)

·
Registered
235 Posts
If you ever install heated grip elements like Dual-Stars or Symtech you will have to grind or cut off the "ribs" on the throttle tube as well. I'm not sure why they are even there on most bikes since slipping grips is a rare to nonexistent problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Successful surgery to remove those ribs on the throttle tube... got my new grips on! The G2 will still be in the mix. At least I can get back on the bike now!

Reactions: LNICK

·
Registered
37 Posts
I wished I saw this thread before I started installing my Oxford heated grips. I checked and did everything perfectly and only had to install the throttle side...when I removed the grip I saw the ribs and nubs. ****. Now I have to get my angle grinder (with the thick disc) and grind the extra plastic off. I was hoping it would be an easy install similar to the clutch side. I'll have to finish it off tomorrow.

·
Registered
440 Posts
If you're taking off those ribs, don't forget to use some grip glue (Renthal - £6 /$6 ish) to seat the new grips, because the last thing you want is for a grip to move or worse, come off in your hand whilst on the move.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Oxford heated grips come with superglue. Just hope it's not too thin. I'll need to smooth the ridges without losing the tight fit. May even think about changing the superglue to epoxy as it 'fills-in' the uneven surface better.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I don't want to sound like "Negative Nick"...

But why would you want to change the grips ??

70% of the time i wear bloves and wouldn't be able to feel any difference whatsoever between stock and after market...

when i ride without gloves, can't say the stock grips are anything other than ok.....certainly wouldn't want to faff around with changing them, only to find the replacements dont look / feel right....

·
Registered
40 Posts

70% of the time i wear bloves and wouldn't be able to feel any difference whatsoever between stock and after market...

when i ride without gloves, can't say the stock grips are anything other than ok.....certainly wouldn't want to faff around with changing them, only to find the replacements dont look / feel right....
Every comment on the forum from you has some sort of negativity, so you got it right the first time.

·
Registered
440 Posts

You're right, every modification should be questioned and validated to see if it's right for you.

Changing grips is quite a personal mod, it's not for everyone, and not everyone can tell / feel the difference. I too thought that a grip swap would be a pointless exercise, until a few years ago where a UK mag (Fast Bikes IIRC) gave away a set of soft Renthal grips. They sat in a packet for some time in my tool cab until one day I gave them a go. Since then my other bike has been wearing soft Renthal grips (they do wear out quite quickly, depending on how rough you are with them), the thinness and grip from them is quite something for getting delicate control.

They cost less than a tenner and don't take long to fit, so it won't break the bank if you're curious enough to try them, just remember to use grip glue!!

·
Registered
723 Posts
Reactions: Gwarlack

·
Registered
723 Posts

I had no interest in doing anything with the stock grips either, untill I ended up getting pretty bad pins and needles in my right hand on a couple of longer rides, forcing me to regularly take that hand off the bars (and throttle) while riding to restore some feeling.

bought a set of THESE overgrips to try (not fitted yet) in case it becomes a regular issue and of course it avoids the hassle of an actual grip swap.

Reactions: Diploman

·
Registered
52 Posts
I had no interest in doing anything with the stock grips either, untill I ended up getting pretty bad pins and needles in my right hand on a couple of longer rides, forcing me to regularly take that hand off the bars (and throttle) while riding to restore some feeling.

bought a set of THESE overgrips to try (not fitted yet) in case it becomes a regular issue and of course it avoids the hassle of an actual grip swap.
I too suffered from the dreaded pins and needles,I've swapped the standard grips for a soft mx 1/2 waffle type inconjunction with the throttle mod,unfortunately I'am unable to test the the results as yet.
I snipped the "nibs" at the end with some cutters then filed them down and butted the grip up to the "retaining"(?) collar at the control end.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I swapped my grips out a little bit ago. I did so for 2 reasons.

First, and foremost, I much prefer the Domino grips that came on the 990 Super Duke. The new ones are softer, and smaller on the thumb side. They are noticeably more comfortable. And yes I always ride with gloves.

I always thought the knurled, hard grips looked cheap. I was disappointed to see that the classy Domino grips from the Super Duke didn't make it over the the 390, when I bought it new. I took off the useless bar end weights long ago, so I had "open ends". I put a washer and bolt in the open ends, but never was satisfied with the way they looked. The new Dominos have a "closed end".

Feel free to disagree, but I think the new Domino grips, along with the Hard Parts levers make the mini Duke look a lot higher quality.

Oh, and if you go with the grips that I have, there is a right and left, as was mentioned earlier. If you want it done correctly, there is a top and bottom also. The lower case "d" should be upright, or you'll get a "p", which everybody knows isn't cool. And for those who fear the grips may slide off at any moment, without warning. There's this crazy new substance called "glue". It works wonders in keeping things in place.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts