KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen videos claiming the stock ECU can adjust to a slip on. One video the person says maybe not a cat delete.
Isn't the cat and muffler all in the teapot . You basically have a header pipe and the teapot. The second gen bikes have an inline cat , second cat in resonator and a muffler. Which is how the keep the slip on small.

So my question is do you need a ECU if switching to a homologated exhaust?

·
Registered
916 Posts
Three generations of bikes. You will be confused if you don’t keep them separate.

Gen 1 had cat abs silencer inside teapot. No slip on

Gen 2 had cat then presilencer (teapot) then slip on - so three part

Euro 5 has two cats, then presilencer then slip on.

So which gen were you asking about?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Three generations of bikes. You will be confused if you don’t keep them separate.

Gen 1 had cat abs silencer inside teapot. No slip on

Gen 2 had cat then presilencer (teapot) then slip on - so three part

Euro 5 has two cats, then presilencer then slip on.

So which gen were you asking about?
Gen 1 2016 E3 I guess.
I saw your video installing the rapid bike evo. My son has one on his MG V85TT and likes it. I know your bike is newer but how do you like the rapid bike? I looked for a follow up video didn't see one .

·
Registered
916 Posts
Every generation clamps down harder on the emissions. Yours has an ECU than can be reprogrammed. In 2017 they locked down the ECU with a stricter map and updated the maps forcing people down the piggyback route. In 2021 they added a second cat forcing the header down under the engine to create the extra space for it. So you need to be a bit careful about what you read and see. Your bike can adapt to changes that mine can’t without adding a piggyback.

I’ve not made a follow up video because there really isn’t a lot to say. It’s fit and forget. I don’t have to download and install new maps just because I changed the exhaust or added a filter lid. I’m happy with it, it does what it’s supposed to do. Our mod here has a gen 1 like yours and has changed to RB and seems very happy about it.

If you are chasing performance then you’d probably want to go down a mapped route. I’m going to piss off a lot of people here but if that is your aim then you need to find a good dyno with people who know how to use it. Downloading maps from the internet or trying to do it yourself isn’t recommended unless you really know what you are doing - and the internet is full of people who think they know more about tuning than they do. I know enough about it to know I don’t know enough about it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it does what it claims .
Better low speed fuelling ( first gen ) , better mid range and torque with a small top end gain I'll be happy.
Cooler running also less stress on the engine fixing the EPA induced lean condition.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts