KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, what better place to announce this but on the new KTM duke forum!

So I finally popped my knee slide virginity today! I went to a roundabout at the end of an industrial estate which was wide, a good size, and with no traffic. After about 20-30 loops around the roundabout I final felt the scrapping sensation that is my plastic slider grinding itself away on the tarmac!

What a feeling. It was all thanks to some advice from others on youtube and forums like this.

So I started the turn, put my toe on the peg, cocked my knee out and leaned in.. Nothing happened so I did what the tips mentioned and pulled my head down right of the mirror to make sure my body wasnt twisted and that I was leaning.. Still nothing.. so I shifted further off the bike, now only my toe on the other foot peg, and my calf against the left side of the saddle.. Put on the power a little more and leaned in again, then yes! a gentle scrape.. A few more times round and more substantial drags of the right slider I decided I was happy with that and backed off.

What a rush! heres the result:

And I also took the GoPro with me, heres a short video, doesnt show it very clearly but knee + ground = grin under my helmet!

·
Registered
533 Posts
Congrats man, always a thrill when you perfect something you've been working towards. I've alwyas felt driving/riding is a lifelong skill to be continuously improved, its the only way to break the monotony.

I don't have the balls yet to go full knee down, still working on my nerves... but i do remember the feeling the first time i learned to dump the clutch on my old foxbody, feeling the sideways push of the back end breaking loose, hearing the roar and smelling the tires tearing themselves to shreds is a special memory for me...

P.S thats a pro looking video you got there, where did you mount the goPro on your Duke?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Congratulations! Now time for some track days! Sounds like you chose a safe place to practice but in general I do not push it on the street. But on the track:D

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
thing about riding is that you are ALWAYS learning.

you will never stop learning.
very true, thats the thing with riding, you need to learn as much as you can. it's better to learn and be prepared and not use that knowledge than to be in a situation and now know what exactly to do.

·
Registered
520 Posts
you will never finish learning though. the same goes for driving really.

the key is to never accept the way you ride or drive as perfect. always try to improve it. be dissatisfied. always pursue for another level.

·
Registered
200 Posts
@Norcot

hey did you master the art of knee dragging already? Hows it been?

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
you will never finish learning though. the same goes for driving really.

the key is to never accept the way you ride or drive as perfect. always try to improve it. be dissatisfied. always pursue for another level.
Best rule to go by. How I see it, nothing and no one can be perfect, you can always better your best. Practice makes improvement, not perfection.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts