KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, so I probably should have said g'day in the introductions sections, but G'day!

Question 1 - who rides this bike? I'm 42 and have been riding a Yamaha FZ6S for about 6 years. Mainly for commuting. Love the screen, top box, heaps of power to cruise and overtake comfortably without having to drop down gears. So now, I don't need to commute, so was thinking of this little beauty for weekend pleasures. Will I be disappointed by the lack of power coming from a 600?

I unfortunately couldn't ride the 390 hard or very well. It had 3 km on it, brand new tyres obviously, so was told by the dealer to take it easy, don't rev it too much. I only got it up to about 7000rpm a couple of times.

Question 2 - what is the 'redline' on these. I assume the shift light is adjustable because 7000 didn't seem to be giving it much at all?

I wouldn't call myself a great rider either, so wasn't confident enough to lean it over and explore it's limits with brand new tyres.

So my plan is now to go back in a week or two when more people have ridden it, and scrubbed in the tyres for me, then I guess I'll have a better idea about its ride ability and performance.

Surprising positive - I was worried about the seat being to hard, but I didn't really notice it when riding, although I could feel it in my inner thighs when I got off.

Mirrors - they were crap! Saw someone have some bar ends on this forum. That could be the go?

Sorry for the long first post.

Cheers
Ian

·
Registered
817 Posts
Welcome to the forum mate, in terms of power yeah you will probably miss is but railing corners tends to replace that.
Redlines around 10,000 if I remember correctly, after 7000 it starts comimg on strong. Loves a range between 6700 to 9500, depending how fast your going but will generally click back to overtake.
If you choose chicken strips wont exist, it leans well one of the boys here have worn the peg lugs away and for its standard suspension corners really really well......you usually do an extra turn around the roundabout.
I dont have a problem with the seat but after a few hours you will feel it, once worn in its a good seat but.
I ditched the mirrors the first day along with the tail tidy and all the other bits, waiting for 6 months until the bike arrived onshore helped with that bit. If you grab a set be aware that the bars have inserts so you will want bar ends with minimal inserts.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. A bit more research tells me the redline is waaaaaayy higher than I ever got, so I think I will give it a week or 2 at the dealers and take it for another spin once it's run in.

Dan1 - Love the barends, looks awesome.

Hopefuly some more exhaust options will start popping up soon. I think the traditional big can like the Akropovic, is too big on this little bike. Maybe something like

Attachments

·
Registered
533 Posts
Thanks guys. A bit more research tells me the redline is waaaaaayy higher than I ever got, so I think I will give it a week or 2 at the dealers and take it for another spin once it's run in.

Dan1 - Love the barends, looks awesome.

Hopefuly some more exhaust options will start popping up soon. I think the traditional big can like the Akropovic, is too big on this little bike. Maybe something like
yea I love those megaphone shorty's but prepare for an ear bleeding ;) singles get very drony with shorty styles like that, especially when you drop the cat. Very similar to a Moto3 ;)

also keep in mind those straight pipe megaphones will actually rob you of low end and a good chunk of your mids. They really only like it banging around the limiter...

Of course I don't have a duke but those have been my observations in the past...

welcome to the site BTW :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
I put the IXIL on mine. Nice and short and gives a deeper note. You will want the dB killers in though, can be very loud without them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Haha, yeah I've got a det of Two Brothers on my FZ6 at the moment. They produce a nice bit of noise.

Interesting technical info there, Sandy Mary. I guess the manufactures will hopeflly sort out whats good and whats not prior to releasing, but good to know!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts