KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
I fitted mirrors from a 1290 Duke and in my opinion they look a lot better.
A screen is also a good idea, if only to cover up the dodgy bit between headlamp and display!

I’m considering that screen. Not because I feel any personal need for a screen - never had an issue with “wind blast” even on the motorway on this bike, but I do like the idea of a little protection for the TFT. Mind you I do try and avoid riding this in the rain because it’s such a pain to clean

·
Registered
475 Posts
Yes it takes a while to clean the little beast after a ride in the rain.
Easiest to spray with bike cleaner and then hose off.
Then treat with protective spray such as ACF-50

·
Registered
177 Posts
It does not rain and if it does, I can plan accordingly. However, I plan to not ride during rain at all so this shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for the feedback though and I will keep that in mind when I ride.

So, I am getting new mirrors as well which install directly on the bars. It's currently on back-order, so waiting for those to arrive. I also have a crash/engine guard and front/rear axle sliders installed at this point.

Do you have any must need recommendations on other parts? Should I change out the fan and use a SPAL Fan instead? Any other good parts I should get for my KTM?
If you get serious about riding for hours - think about the KTM PowerParts Ergo seat. The stock seat is fine, I recently sat on a superduke with the PP seat and ordered one for my 390 the next day. I only been riding it for a few days at this point and it is utterly amazing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I fitted mirrors from a 1290 Duke and in my opinion they look a lot better.
A screen is also a good idea, if only to cover up the dodgy bit between headlamp and display!
Which screen is that? I love the look and low profile of it -- I want something that doesn't go too high.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Deflects a bit of wind and does protect the display from rain to an extent.
Also makes the bike look better. I believe the taller Barracuda screen is a bit better at deflecting wind, but as it’s a naked bike you can expect wind blast at speed whatever you do with it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Funny how most newbies all have similar questions in mind... just reading this post answered a bunch of my own questions :)

Cheers!
David

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
That one does look good, the only thing l would say is, that having no rear fender at all (license plate underneath the tail piece) means water will spray up your back when it rains.
The KTM one has a small fender which is enough to catch the water spray.

Of course, this may not be an issue in the lovely USA climate. Here in the UK it’s more of a concern

We currently have unprecedented rainfall and local flooding, anyone who ventures out on a bike in this weather gets my respect that’s for sure!

Local dam is overflowing...never seen it happen before
It does not rain and if it does, I can plan accordingly. However, I plan to not ride during rain at all so this shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for the feedback though and I will keep that in mind when I ride.

So, I am getting new mirrors as well which install directly on the bars. It's currently on back-order, so waiting for those to arrive. I also have a crash/engine guard and front/rear axle sliders installed at this point.

Do you have any must need recommendations on other parts? Should I change out the fan and use a SPAL Fan instead? Any other good parts I should get for my KTM?
My understanding is that the overheating problems were greatly reduced in the 2nd generation 390 Dukes (MY 2017 and later). I live near the middle of Dallas and can say that the stock cooling setup on my 2018 390 Duke has more than enough capacity to deal with stop and go traffic during +100°F days with road surface temps in excess of 150°F.

That being said, my radiator fan fuse did blow at one point during July, but even then I could ride the bike gently around surface streets and only had the coolant temperature gauge exceed the mid point when stopped at a light for a while.

My understanding is that the radiator fuse is a common failure, so I would be sure to have a few extra 10 amp fuses on you if you're riding any appreciable distance. Your bike should have come with one extra 10A fuse and the fuse box under the pillion has space for a few additional backups. My guess is that some water found its way into the fuse box because its rubber cover was half unfastened, so I'd just check it every so often to make sure its shut tight.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Vagabond or the yosh one if they still sell it, don't be like me and get an ebay one or you'll find yourself spending extra time to modify it to fit (even though it states its specifically for the 390 duke) The problem with the ebay ones is that they do not cover the entire underneath so you have bare white metal exposed and subject to water and dirt getting through the unused screw holes that are left over from the ebay fender kit.

You have been notified.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I am running the Vegabond, no problems during or after installation.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The eliminators on most of the new bikes are ugly... The 390 is no exception. I changed my original one by shortening it (I made sure of the measurements etc. before I started) -. I basically cut the middle part out, cut along the end part where it was welded (3 sides on number plate side) and welded the two together again. I then used a dremel tool to cut the plastic cover (part also holding the rear indicators) and fitted it to my finished welded part. Not only does it look 100% better, it actually looks as if it OEM to the bike..... cost about nothing to remake and the cops will not hassle me....

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
The eliminators on most of the new bikes are ugly... The 390 is no exception. I changed my original one by shortening it (I made sure of the measurements etc. before I started) -. I basically cut the middle part out, cut along the end part where it was welded (3 sides on number plate side) and welded the two together again. I then used a dremel tool to cut the plastic cover (part also holding the rear indicators) and fitted it to my finished welded part. Not only does it look 100% better, it actually looks as if it OEM to the bike..... cost about nothing to remake and the cops will not hassle me....
I ordered a cheap one on AliExpress (not installed yet) but I'd be very tempted to do the same as you did, looks awesome!

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

21 - 34 of 34 Posts