KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys my bike will be due its first service soon and I wondered what the implications would be warranty wise if I had the bike serviced at a non franchised shop.The nearest ktm dealer to me is over an hour away but I have a really good bike shop across the road from where I work.I will make sure that genuine parts are used.
Should I take the risk?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Technically I think you should still be able to make a warranty claim even if not using a KTM dealer for service, but in reality any claim process is going to be simpler and less stressful if you just cave in and take it to KTM.
I guess you'd have to weigh up the savings in cash and time to help you decide.
I took mine to Colwyn Bay, 2 hours away, but the roads between make for some great riding so it wasn't such a hardship.
They also let me loose on a 690 demo while they did the work for me to further ease the pain :) Definitely ask for a loan bike wherever you go, even if you only go as far as a local cafe.

·
Registered
321 Posts
KTM knows your bike better than anybody else. If somethin is not the way it should be they will spot it most likely. I would go there to be sure - at least for the first service.

·
Registered
938 Posts
If I am not mistaken it says somewhere in the manual that in order to keep your warranty this first service needs doing at a licensed KTM dealer/garage then again so many countries with so many different regulations.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hi guys my bike will be due its first service soon and I wondered what the implications would be warranty wise if I had the bike serviced at a non franchised shop.The nearest ktm dealer to me is over an hour away but I have a really good bike shop across the road from where I work.I will make sure that genuine parts are used.
Should I take the risk?
The Duke electronics controllers get logged onto the KTM server, sometimes updated with software, but always as a condition of 'logging' their current (and past) states in the case of permanent codes, etc. So if you read the actual service manual, it instructs that the tech in charge of your scheduled services is 'required' to hook up and initiate comm between the KTM server and your controller-encoded VIN, for permanent record. Such is the nature of the beast for maintaining a good-faith status to your 2year/24,000 mile warranty.
I feel like I mighta' tripped over parts of my tongue when I said all that... but you really wanna make sure they log your bike on and say, yeah, he did what you asked. In the US, the legalities to our warranty is a bit more lenient in some basic ways... but I still go in to the dealer and pay them the $125 to log her on and say, yeah, he did what you asked.
Does that make sense?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Think i'll take it to ktm then,anyone in the uk used Trevor Pope in Gosport ? they have quoted me around £150 as opposed to Moto Corsa at Gillingham who quoted me £200.

·
Registered
522 Posts
£200 is a lot for a first service and l would ask why the price is so high for what is effectively an oil change and check over.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts