KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.
2020 390 Duke.
64 yrs old returning to riding. Previous bikes all 1000cc. Riddled with arthritis now but happy that I can still ride this amazing little bike.Short distances only.

Just had the 390 Duke in for first service.
KTM Dealer that I bought the from did the service.
1. They put a semi synthetic in (Silkolene 10/40). And they overfilled it. I have just replaced it with Motul 7100 Full Synthetic.
2. They didn't take the belly guard off to drain the oil. They dropped it into the guard and let it run out. That has now been cleaned up.
3. Bike started up a lot quieter after the oil change. Smoother. Will try it out tomorrow to see the difference with gear changes.
Needless to say I will be looking for another dealer to do any work while under warranty.

Anyone had dealer problems like this?

Thanks
Meggsy

·
Super Moderator
1,387 Posts
Welcome Meggsy but sorry to hear of this horrible dealer.
Obviously, one that only cares about shifting units with no intend to service customers.
Good idea to move your dealer but do let them (and maybe KTM HQ the UK know as well.
I was actually under the impression that KTM dealers should use Motorex but maybe I'm wrong.

·
Registered
728 Posts
My first service was done satisfactorily but at a cost of £200 which l think is a lot for an oil change and check over (they didn't check the valves)
l can't get it in for the second service, there's only one dealer near to me and they don't return my calls or emails.

So l will have to do it myself, the warranty will run out before l can ride it again anyway.
l bought a service kit online.

l will do the valve check as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome Meggsy but sorry to hear of this horrible dealer.
Obviously, one that only cares about shifting units with no intend to service customers.
Good idea to move your dealer but do let them (and maybe KTM HQ the UK know as well.
I was actually under the impression that KTM dealers should use Motorex but maybe I'm wrong.
Thanks for the welcome.
Just took the bike for a short ride and much happier now that I have a better oil in it.
The bike is now engine quieter/smoother and more positive gear shifts.
I have always used Motul and didn't see the advantage of paying for Motorex which would have cost me another $27/4ltrs.

And yeah this dealer is in it for the money...both sales and service.
Started checking forums around here and they do NOT have a good record.
I'll learn from the experience and move on. It's a small community and I have to live here so will just move to dealing with the next KTM service centre which is about 40km away.

Cheers
Meggsy

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My first service was done satisfactorily but at a cost of £200 which l think is a lot for an oil change and check over (they didn't check the valves)
l can't get it in for the second service, there's only one dealer near to me and they don't return my calls or emails.

So l will have to do it myself, the warranty will run out before l can ride it again anyway.
l bought a service kit online.

l will do the valve check as well.
Wow.
That is waay over priced for 1st service.
Mine cost me $149 but am sure they only changed the oil and didn't check or do anything else.
I will be doing the majority of the work myself because I will know then that the servicing schedule has been followed.
Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
1,387 Posts
Happy to hear she's running more to your liking with the Motul.
My reference was more towards the KTM dealer concerning Motorex.
I have found out that different brands of oil with the same specs still make a difference in things such as engine noise and gear shifting.
In my 390 I use 10W-60 full synthetic Ipone oil which makes a little more noise as the previous used Motorex semi-synthetic 15W-50.
B.t.w. I do hope you did not put 4 ltr in that little sump :LOL:
Keep us posted on your adventures, riding- and dealer-wise.

Thanks for the welcome.
Just took the bike for a short ride and much happier now that I have a better oil in it.
The bike is now engine quieter/smoother and more positive gear shifts.
I have always used Motul and didn't see the advantage of paying for Motorex which would have cost me another $27/4ltrs.

And yeah this dealer is in it for the money...both sales and service.
Started checking forums around here and they do NOT have a good record.
I'll learn from the experience and move on. It's a small community and I have to live here so will just move to dealing with the next KTM service centre which is about 40km away.

Cheers
Meggsy

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Happy to hear she's running more to your liking with the Motul.
My reference was more towards the KTM dealer concerning Motorex.
I have found out that different brands of oil with the same specs still make a difference in things such as engine noise and gear shifting.
In my 390 I use 10W-60 full synthetic Ipone oil which makes a little more noise as the previous used Motorex semi-synthetic 15W-50.
B.t.w. I do hope you did not put 4 ltr in that little sump :LOL:
Keep us posted on your adventures, riding- and dealer-wise.
Bwaaahaaaa. 4ltrs. Nope. 1.6 and then 2.8 into my better half's 790 Duke. (yes a KTM family) Yep 4.2 ltrs for oil changes...means you have to buy extra :/
And re the dealer and Motorex...I too was concerned when I found that they just pleased themselves with choice of oil. Apparently they are licensed to sell the lower end KTM bikes but not the larger V twins.
The dealer concerned also did an oil change on my old bike (SV1000s) and I told them to put Motul semi 5100 into it.They put the same Silkolene into it and the clutch responded accordingly. Clunky and rough. Back to Motul and all sweet again.
I was contemplating going the 10W-60 option but settled on the cheaper oil. Is the 10-60 worth the extra, in your opinion?
Oh, thanks for the reply.
:)

·
Super Moderator
1,387 Posts
Great,
To your question, if the 10W-60 is worth it, I have no real answer.
I have put this in as I was going on a 3,500+ tour in northern Thailand at the time.
I figured doing 400+ km per day in the hot season in Thailand would help but after the tour, I read an article saying it makes little sense to put in higher-rated oils than the factory advised.
I have the feeling this Ipone oil had the engine a little noisier than with the Motorex 15W-50 semi-synthetic before.
Now stuck in Laos with the borders closed and so not able to get to my 390, I ride my 200 here on full synthetic T4 Motorex 15W-50 which seems to do the job perfectly.
When at my 390 I shall change the oil (after a year+ stationery) and will use the Motorex 15W-50 full synthetic again.
Another oil that seems pretty good (and will not be copied in Thailand or Vietnam) is Voltronic.
I might try that instead of Motorex but prices here are similar.
If you renewed your oil filter as well the 390 takes 1.7 litres to fill.
Keep us posted on your dealer's adventures ;)

Bwaaahaaaa. 4ltrs. Nope. 1.6 and then 2.8 into my better half's 790 Duke. (yes a KTM family) Yep 4.2 ltrs for oil changes...means you have to buy extra :/
And re the dealer and Motorex...I too was concerned when I found that they just pleased themselves with choice of oil. Apparently they are licensed to sell the lower end KTM bikes but not the larger V twins.
The dealer concerned also did an oil change on my old bike (SV1000s) and I told them to put Motul semi 5100 into it.They put the same Silkolene into it and the clutch responded accordingly. Clunky and rough. Back to Motul and all sweet again.
I was contemplating going the 10W-60 option but settled on the cheaper oil. Is the 10-60 worth the extra, in your opinion?
Oh, thanks for the reply.
:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great,
To your question, if the 10W-60 is worth it, I have no real answer.
I have put this in as I was going on a 3,500+ tour in northern Thailand at the time.
I figured doing 400+ km per day in the hot season in Thailand would help but after the tour, I read an article saying it makes little sense to put in higher-rated oils than the factory advised.
I have the feeling this Ipone oil had the engine a little noisier than with the Motorex 15W-50 semi-synthetic before.
Now stuck in Laos with the borders closed and so not able to get to my 390, I ride my 200 here on full synthetic T4 Motorex 15W-50 which seems to do the job perfectly.
When at my 390 I shall change the oil (after a year+ stationery) and will use the Motorex 15W-50 full synthetic again.
Another oil that seems pretty good (and will not be copied in Thailand or Vietnam) is Voltronic.
I might try that instead of Motorex but prices here are similar.
If you renewed your oil filter as well the 390 takes 1.7 litres to fill.
Keep us posted on your dealer's adventures ;)
Cheers.
Thanks again for the reply.
Yes. Filter and screens will be replaced at 7k (with the added 100ml of oil) just glad to have a decent oil, now.
I have decided to revert to my basic 6000 km servicing schedule. I don't believe oils can last more than that...but please change my mind with info.
And as for dealers...over it.
Cheers.

·
Registered
2020 KTM Duke
14 Posts
Question, will a warranty on a new KTM bike be voided if I throw on an after market bolt on exhaust?

·
Super Moderator
1,387 Posts
Welcome, SdC,

I believe if you do not do a cat-delete you're okay.
What are you trying to achieve would be my first question?
It has been proven over and over again that only very few aftermarket end exhausts perform equally good as the OEM ones.
Most perform worst.

Question, will a warranty on a new KTM bike be voided if I throw on an after market bolt on exhaust?

·
Registered
2020 KTM Duke
14 Posts
Welcome, SdC,

I believe if you do not do a cat-delete you're okay.
What are you trying to achieve would be my first question?
It has been proven over and over again that only very few aftermarket end exhausts perform equally good as the OEM ones.
Most perform worst.
Just wanted a muffler with a better sound and helps out the engine. I installed a Competition Werkes exhaust can and I have to say I love the sound, it feels a little smoother when opening up the throttle! I have have my first service coming up and didn’t want to have my warranty voided because of it. I kept the stock muffler just in case...I might bolt it on just to be safe :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just wanted a muffler with a better sound and helps out the engine. I installed a Competition Werkes exhaust can and I have to say I love the sound, it feels a little smoother when opening up the throttle! I have have my first service coming up and didn’t want to have my warranty voided because of it. I kept the stock muffler just in case...I might bolt it on just to be safe :)
when I took mine in for. First service, I took the BP plug off and took off my slip on.... didn’t want to give them a reason to bust my balls.... I am in jersey if that matters.... things are pretty strict here, motor vehicle wise...

·
Registered
2020 KTM Duke
14 Posts
when I took mine in for. First service, I took the BP plug off and took off my slip on.... didn’t want to give them a reason to bust my balls.... I am in jersey if that matters.... things are pretty strict here, motor vehicle wise...
Gotcha. I’m thinking of swapping and showing up to the service department with the stock muffler

·
Registered
57 Posts
sorry to hear that mate...what Ktm recommends is motorex full synt 15w50.you can go with motul 7100 15w50.for the cold weather the oil is 10w50...
your mechanic should have removed the belly pan,thats a shame :(

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
sorry to hear that mate...what Ktm recommends is motorex full synt 15w50.you can go with motul 7100 15w50.for the cold weather the oil is 10w50...
your mechanic should have removed the belly pan,thats a shame :(
Thanks for the reply.
I looked at the Motorex but opted for the Motul because it was a lot cheaper, for me,and I have used Motul for about 15 years without complaint.
And yes. This mechanic is lazy. Have caught him out before.
Last time there for any service work. I will travel the 45km to another KTM centre.

·
Registered
57 Posts
there aint ktm service shop where i live and the local shop mechanic doesnt know about duke 390 ,yet he is good at other bikes.thus i tell him exactly what needs to be done how it needs to be done before he starts 😂

1 - 19 of 19 Posts