KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finally ready for my first service which I'm dreading doing. I don't have a whole lot of confidence in my local (2.5 hours away) dealer at all. After the first service is done I doubt they'll ever see me again. I'm going to take the manual with me so I can see if they did everything that they were supposed to, I fully expect them NOT to check the valves even though the manual says to which is okay as long as they show me something from KTM that says the valves don't need checked anymore. All and all, based on my experience so far with the dealer, my expectations are pretty low. I really wish KTM would send out a customer satisfaction for new owner purchases so they could see maybe see patterns or concerns and maybe try to correct them to make the dealer network better. Anyway, wish me luck. Maybe they'll surprise me.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I'm finally ready for my first service which I'm dreading doing. I don't have a whole lot of confidence in my local (2.5 hours away) dealer at all. After the first service is done I doubt they'll ever see me again. I'm going to take the manual with me so I can see if they did everything that they were supposed to, I fully expect them NOT to check the valves even though the manual says to which is okay as long as they show me something from KTM that says the valves don't need checked anymore. All and all, based on my experience so far with the dealer, my expectations are pretty low. I really wish KTM would send out a customer satisfaction for new owner purchases so they could see maybe see patterns or concerns and maybe try to correct them to make the dealer network better. Anyway, wish me luck. Maybe they'll surprise me.
Valve check is no longer part of the first service. You are not getting ripped off if they dont do it - im sure you could pay them more and ask them to do it.

Im sad your dealer sucks - my KTM dealer is AWESOME!

What are you located in?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought it in Jonesboro Arkansas, should've went with my gut instinct and went the 4.5 hours to St. Charles Mo. Is there a bulletin or something that you know of for checking the valves?

·
Registered
190 Posts
I bought it in Jonesboro Arkansas, should've went with my gut instinct and went the 4.5 hours to St. Charles Mo. Is there a bulletin or something that you know of for checking the valves?
No - but my dealer is AWESOME and all the guys there are super helpful and knowledgeable and I asked and they told me KTM doesn't require/recommend valves during first service anymore. They said it brought the price down of the first service as a direct result.

bring your bike to PA - you'll love the dealer(s) here

·
Registered
522 Posts
I was charged £200 for the first service which didn’t include the valve check.

I think that’s expensive but both my local dealers quoted the same price, for what is essentially an oil change and check over.

But l am not used to bikes, l am only familiar with cars. The first service on our VW Up GTi cost £179.
Maybe the bike needs more checks. It also seems they sprayed white grease over anything that moves, such as the footrest pivots.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On the ticket I got it says "First Service" and then 1) Changed oil and Filter. 2) Inspected bolts for tightness 3) Air filter good 4) Coolant good. 5) Brakes good. 6) Tire pressure good 7) Reset maintenance light 8) Test drove all good $47.00 in parts and $30 labor plus shop supplies and tax.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As soon as I got it back home I tried changing the shift light to 9,000rpm but for some reason it still comes on at 6,500 or whatever. Seemed pretty easy to do, double checked in the manual and it still comes on early. Worse case I just turn it off if it will.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Mine was the same after the first service (done at just under 600miles)
You can change the settings but it still flashes at 6,500rpm!

The function started to work after l had done about 620 miles which works out as 1,000km

So it must be in the software to activate the function at 1,000km

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thta's good to know. My service light came on right at 599 or 600 miles. Haven't had much time to ride but I know I'm close to the 620 right now. Thanks for the heads up

·
Registered
522 Posts
I paid £200 for my first service here in the U.K.
No valve check as far as l know. Seemed expensive tbh

·
Registered
60 Posts
I paid £200 for my first service here in the U.K.
No valve check as far as l know. Seemed expensive tbh

Seems like. Although, it looks like 200 Pounds is about the same as pingywon's 250 USD. I asked when I bought my bike and was quoted $380 for the first service, with valve check. Dunno, maybe it's worth the extra $130 to go ahead and have them check the clearances...

·
Registered
16 Posts
My dealer sucks too, I didn't got the manual nor the service booklet, not sure if it even exist, the dealer told me to download the manual from the KTM web page, I did downloaded the US version since no Mexico version is available, but what they did told me , is the cost of the 1st service would be $1,800 pesos, at the time around $85 usd. so it seems the cost depends on the region.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts