KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I'm new to the forum. Just bought a used 2017 Duke 390 for a great price and lots of added things. When I was I was looking the bike over, I noticed that the brake side had a leaky fork seal. Used that to negotiate the price down a bit and brought it home. Once I pulled the fork off, I noticed that the slider had what looked to be wear groves in it parallel to the tubes, but only about 1/3 around. Found nothing in the seals and the bushing looks OK and had no grit or anything in them. Before I pulled the forks apart, I thought that maybe the coating on the bushings had worn off, but no. This is the first bike I had that I've seen this on - both dirt and street. Both forks have some of this wearaction, but only one is bad enough that I my fingernail will pick up the grooves - the grooves in the good leg can sand out. Has anyone seen something like this on their Duke? Also, another 2017 bike at a dealer had a leaky seal replaced, but I passed because they wanted too much. Are the forks prone to issues?

·
Registered
341 Posts
When the axle was put back through it’s hole in the bearings, then tightened, the proper procedure was not followed to insure that the forks were parallel to each other.
took out the fork seal and wore grooves in your tube as a result.
consult the manual for proper reassembly

Reactions: moazman

·
Registered
95 Posts
Not had that before. But sounds like it could be as whyzee said

Dave Moss coincidentally released a video a couple of days ago on this, defo worth a watch

Also, I’ve done 7000+ miles on my 2018, and the forks still look good. I’ve seen other people report leaking seals tho.

It seems to be more common on bikes that have been unused for a significant amount of time...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not had that before. But sounds like it could be as whyzee said

Dave Moss coincidentally released a video a couple of days ago on this, defo worth a watch

Also, I’ve done 7000+ miles on my 2018, and the forks still look good. I’ve seen other people report leaking seals tho.

It seems to be more common on bikes that have been unused for a significant amount of time...

I had thought the same thing when I was trying to figure this out. I also wondered if the stanchions were not manufactured straight, but probably more likely that they weren't aligned properly. The funny part is that the coating looks perfect on the bushing. I would have expected that it was worn off and I would be into the metal. Either way, the only way forward is a light resurface of the non-leaking stanchion, new seals and bushing and give it a go after the alignment.

Thanks so much for weighing in on this and helping me out!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts