KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Congrats, amazing that they still had a brand new 2019 model in mid 2021, what is the story around that?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Congrats, amazing that they still had a brand new 2019 model in mid 2021, what is the story around that?
Thanks! I'm told that it wasn't entered into their system for some reason so it didn't end up on the dealer's website and kind of got pushed to the back of the lot in a crate. when it came time to get rid of the crates one of the staff noticed it wasn't an empty box!
I'm assuming the real reason is because as soon as you look at a 200 or 390 duke the sales guy immediately points you to some sort of 600 (from previous experience with this dealer as a beginner 10 years or so ago) but if it's true I guess their inventory mess is my gain. Almost went for a 2021 at somewhere over 7000$Cad in the next province over but found this one a little closer to home for under MSRP with no taxes or freight.

Registered
Thanks! I'm told that it wasn't entered into their system for some reason so it didn't end up on the dealer's website and kind of got pushed to the back of the lot in a crate. when it came time to get rid of the crates one of the staff noticed it wasn't an empty box!
I'm assuming the real reason is because as soon as you look at a 200 or 390 duke the sales guy immediately points you to some sort of 600 (from previous experience with this dealer as a beginner 10 years or so ago) but if it's true I guess their inventory mess is my gain. Almost went for a 2021 at somewhere over 7000$Cad in the next province over but found this one a little closer to home for under MSRP with no taxes or freight.
in this case for long storage bikes, you'll want to replace all fluids (EO, Brakes, Coolant), check the rubber hoses for drying out, check the fuel tank for rust and update the software to the latest version.

Not sure if the dealers already did it for you...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
in this case for long storage bikes, you'll want to replace all fluids (EO, Brakes, Coolant), check the rubber hoses for drying out, check the fuel tank for rust and update the software to the latest version.

Not sure if the dealers already did it for you...
Thanks for the heads up! I had planned to change fluids and oil at 500km because of that reason but I forgot about the gas tank for rust. As for software updates I鈥檒l check if they did that today.
The closest KTM dealer is 6 hours down the highway in any direction so I might just drive it to one and be at or around the 1000km first service mark.

Registered
l doubt that there will be any issues with a bike that's been crated for two years from new.

For peace of mind, you could change all the fluids, as already suggested.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
l doubt that there will be any issues with a bike that's been crated for two years from new.

For peace of mind, you could change all the fluids, as already suggested.
Thanks! So far so good other than one stall from 6th to 5th and two while idling in the driveway, I鈥檝e read that is easily fixed with the rapid bike easy so that鈥檚 next on the list after it鈥檚 first service if those continue..

Registered
The RBE unit makes the bike much smoother at low RPM
ln fact it transforms it. Mine would drive in first gear down to 5mph without surging or shunting, with no need to use the clutch. Likewise second gear would drive down to 10mph and third gear, around 15mph

lt doesn't give any more power, it's not meant to, it just makes it much better at low speed such as filtering or riding in traffic.

There's also another one called "Boosterplug" which has a similar effect, but it does it by fooling one of the sensors into thinking the bike is running 20 degrees cooler than it actually is.

Sadly my insurance wanted to triple the premium because of my "Power Commander"
No, it's not a Power Commander l argued, it doesn't increase the BHP
We only list it as a "Power Commander" was the reply.
So the unit has had to be disconnected from the bike.
So far l haven't found an insurer who likes anybody fittting these "tuning boxes" or "fuelling boxes" without biffing the premium up by at least 100%
ln fact quite a few wouldn't touch the bike at all with it fitted.
lf anybody knows of one please post it on here!
Otherwise, l have a Rapid Bike Easy for sale, fits 390 Duke 2018 onwards.
拢80
For sale in the U.K. only

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The RBE unit makes the bike much smoother at low RPM
ln fact it transforms it. Mine would drive in first gear down to 5mph without surging or shunting, with no need to use the clutch. Likewise second gear would drive down to 10mph and third gear, around 15mph

lt doesn't give any more power, it's not meant to, it just makes it much better at low speed such as filtering or riding in traffic.

There's also another one called "Boosterplug" which has a similar effect, but it does it by fooling one of the sensors into thinking the bike is running 20 degrees cooler than it actually is.

Sadly my insurance wanted to triple the premium because of my "Power Commander"
No, it's not a Power Commander l argued, it doesn't increase the BHP
We only list it as a "Power Commander" was the reply.
So the unit has had to be disconnected from the bike.
So far l haven't found an insurer who likes anybody fittting these "tuning boxes" or "fuelling boxes" without biffing the premium up by at least 100%
ln fact quite a few wouldn't touch the bike at all with it fitted.
lf anybody knows of one please post it on here!
Otherwise, l have a Rapid Bike Easy for sale, fits 390 Duke 2018 onwards.
拢80
For sale in the U.K. only
Thanks for the info Lightning! I鈥檝e been lurking the forum long enough now to have a decent understanding of your situation, so I won鈥檛 add a 鈥渏ust don鈥檛 tell them鈥 馃槀
Here in Canada I haven鈥檛 had any issues with modifications to bikes and insurance, but I鈥檝e also never mentioned it to them and when I have had issues it鈥檚 always gone to a shop that signs off a damage report rather than a insurance adjuster or something coming to inspect. I also live at a minimum 500kms from the closest city center and my last claim was all by phone call with someone out of Toronto which would be a 22 hour drive since I鈥檓 on the other side of Ontario鈥 so I may be lucky that way in my community of 5000 souls.

If I think of a way for you to keep the RBE while still being covered I鈥檒l let you know!

And if it was ship-able I would take that RBE in a heartbeat for my 2019!

cheers!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts