KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
PROBLEM RESOLVED!! Ended up being the starter solanoid stuck due to a battery surge…

Hey all! Couldn’t find anyone with my same direct issue so decided to stop trawling the net for answers and simply ask it myself 😅

my partners 2017 duke 390 randomly died the other day, 11k Kms on the engine, tried to turn it back on but there is no power getting anywhere on the bike except the small lights on the hand bars which light up the killswitch and navigation buttons.

checked all the fuses and connections myself and everything was fine, tried a new battery but still no power getting anywhere else on the bike. To clarify, the bike has no power to the tft, lights or indicators NOR will the bike turn on.
Ended up bringing it to the local shop and they checked over everything and said the TFT is fried and I have to pay $1425 for a new one and it MUST be coded from the factory.

First question, does it actually need to be coded at the factory or can I simply buy a new/used TFT display online and plug it in. Unsure if this is a tactic from the dealer or it’s legit as I’ve had a few people on FB say it’s just a plug n play with no coding required.

Second question, has anyone else experienced this? A random cut off while riding and then getting no power to the bike/display/lights and bike won’t even turn on? Have seen plenty of threads of fried TFT’s but they were still able to start their bike..

Spent the last 4 days trawling for info and want to be certain before I drop serious money. Oh also we are the 3rd owner so we have no warranty. Wouldn’t bother us as much if the bike still turned on but it’s a giant paper weight right now. Thanks!

video link to show my issue - 2017 KTM Duke 390 Power Issue FRIED TFT - Bike will not turn on - HELO

·
Registered
2015 duke 200, Previous bike (2009 er6n Kawasaki, 1982 honda nighthawk cb450)
83 Posts
I googled and couldn't find anything, Try talking to several dealer or KTM corporate. As a coder, it really depends, It could be priprotery for each individual bike. or could be able to swap between bikes. The later would make more sense for servicing. I wondering if cf moto which seems where ktm got the screens from or vice versa, and engine are made in factory are swapable. Best of luck.

·
Registered
2013 KTM Duke 390
56 Posts
checked all the fuses and connections myself and everything was fine, tried a new battery but still no power getting anywhere else on the bike. To clarify, the bike has no power to the tft, lights or indicators NOR will the bike turn on.
I read somewhere that if there is an interruption to the lighting circuit, the bike refuses to start. This might be your root cause, maybe do a deep dive into why lights aren't coming on. It might be a bad switch or a damaged wire somewhere.

oes it actually need to be coded at the factory or can I simply buy a new/used TFT display online and plug it in. Unsure if this is a tactic from the dealer or it’s legit as I’ve had a few people on FB say it’s just a plug n play with no coding required.
I dont think this is true. People have transplanted Duke 390 TFT screens onto their Duke 250 with almost everything running without any coding required.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I read somewhere that if there is an interruption to the lighting circuit, the bike refuses to start. This might be your root cause, maybe do a deep dive into why lights aren't coming on. It might be a bad switch or a damaged wire somewhere.

I dont think this is true. People have transplanted Duke 390 TFT screens onto their Duke 250 with almost everything running without any coding required.
Thanks mate, have checked every wire and connection in the bike and everything is fine. Had a mechanic check it over too and he believes the TFT is fried. I’ve heard of peoples displays going before but they were still able to start and ride their bike opposed to my sitch I have zero power.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you connected an OBD2 adaptor and checked if there are any error codes?
No unfortunately not, bringing it into a ktm dealer on Friday and they will run the checks. Would be nice to find out it’s not the display but all the wiring and connections look fine. Will keep everyone updated. Unable to find a thread with the same issue I’m having. Have seen a bunch of tft failures but they were still able to start and run their bike where I can’t even turn my bike on..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I googled and couldn't find anything, Try talking to several dealer or KTM corporate. As a coder, it really depends, It could be priprotery for each individual bike. or could be able to swap between bikes. The later would make more sense for servicing. I wondering if cf moto which seems where ktm got the screens from or vice versa, and engine are made in factory are swapable. Best of luck.
Yeah have found a bunch of people swapping onto different model dukes but no one with my situation where I have zero power to even turn the bike on. Asked a few guys and got mixed reviews some saying they had theirs coded but the same fellas saying you don’t need it coded. Very confusing.

·
Registered
2015 duke 200, Previous bike (2009 er6n Kawasaki, 1982 honda nighthawk cb450)
83 Posts
Yeah have found a bunch of people swapping onto different model dukes but no one with my situation where I have zero power to even turn the bike on. Asked a few guys and got mixed reviews some saying they had theirs coded but the same fellas saying you don’t need it coded. Very confusing.
Totally ktm corporate would be best or local shop or maybe non local with good reputation. I talked to shop in akron, Ohio. They were helpful getting info on my bike here in Thailand. Maybe try them.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Make sure your battery is at good nick, a faulty battery or a battery that's about to give up would cause a similar issue. Secondly, TFTs are replaceable and there is an update provided by the dealer, where they update the firmware of the TFT for free, this update was issued by KTM to clear out the first batch bugs when the 2017 TFT Dukes were released into the market, and since then there have been four to five updates to the module, if my memory serves me right, one update was specifically aimed at headlight unit calibration.So, I don't think your issue is critical per se, completely solvable with the right parts and diagnoses.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts