KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Newbie here from Sydney, have always wanted to get a bike license, but never really had the need.

I have now changed locations for work, which now means that a bike is the best option. So have my License test and course booked for the end of July.

Always wanted a Ducati and was looking at the LAMS bike. But in my research discovered the 390, which looks a lot more suitable for a commuter bike and even better it's half the price.

So anyone see why a 390 would;t be a sensible first bike for a 40 yo learner?

Also would like to have a bike asap after my initial course, so anyone bought a bike in Sydney recently and how long was the wait before delivery?

Cheers Sean

·
Registered
817 Posts
The 390 is a much better pick over the Ducati, if you said you want power and speed I would have said the opposite but that doesnt mean the 390 doesnt have any. The bike is a brilliant first time bike, it wont kill you and also gives you plenty of warning if your overstepping your mark. Balanced really well for communting (legal filtering NSW, lucky buggers) has a great upright position for scanning etc. Behaves well in car parks and tight turn situations but the clutch can get a bit after a few hours if your not used to it.
The added bonus is you can upgrade alot of pieces as you become more confident/comfortable with the road, bike and yourself.
Welcome to the forum and feel free to ask questions, it dont cost anything until you have the bike ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 390 is a much better pick over the Ducati, if you said you want power and speed I would have said the opposite but that doesnt mean the 390 doesnt have any. The bike is a brilliant first time bike, it wont kill you and also gives you plenty of warning if your overstepping your mark. Balanced really well for communting (legal filtering NSW, lucky buggers) has a great upright position for scanning etc. Behaves well in car parks and tight turn situations but the clutch can get a bit after a few hours if your not used to it.
The added bonus is you can upgrade alot of pieces as you become more confident/comfortable with the road, bike and yourself.
Welcome to the forum and feel free to ask questions, it dont cost anything until you have the bike ;)
Thanks Dan

Everything you mentioned just confirms I think this is the bike for me.

Also the insurance is a third of what it is for the Ducati.

I will own a Ducati one day but it may be a second bike.

Cheers Sean

·
Registered
817 Posts
Yeah I think I pay $250 a year full comp. Rego costs me more!

Theres also the Honda 500 range if you havent looked, personally their too refined and polite for my taste but some prefer the range they have on offer.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Hi all

Newbie here from Sydney, have always wanted to get a bike license, but never really had the need.

I have now changed locations for work, which now means that a bike is the best option. So have my License test and course booked for the end of July.

Always wanted a Ducati and was looking at the LAMS bike. But in my research discovered the 390, which looks a lot more suitable for a commuter bike and even better it's half the price.

So anyone see why a 390 would;t be a sensible first bike for a 40 yo learner?

Also would like to have a bike asap after my initial course, so anyone bought a bike in Sydney recently and how long was the wait before delivery?

Cheers Sean
Welcome aboard, Sean380. 40 yo learner? Motorcycling is ageless. Perfect for starters and pro alike and returning bikers. As Dan1 rightly pointed, would give the thrills of those mad old two strokes and yes helps learn/retrain his/her limits. I can't think of a better package. But most of all, it turns a bedwetter to a real biker, if you ask me. :D

And would love to get some pictures of your ride.

Ride safe!

Cheers!
VJ :cool:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts