KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
@Mirius especially, after watching your very informative video.
I began digging around with this to sort out the low speed issues (well documented), without sacrificing too much top end for highway riding, or alternatively make it very long legged, but lose out on acceleration and rideability for the hills and twisties.
Cannot touch the wiring harness with any sort of ECU/Piggyback add on as the dealer vehemently said, they will immediately void the warranty, no questions asked.
Definitely did not want to get into a heated tech discussion with one who was a wee informatively challenged.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Thanks . Gearing commander and similar are good starting points. I would be careful about placing too much reliance on conclusions simply drawn from the results because it assumes a flat torque curve and that torque curve will vary from bike model to bike model. Just look at the videos of Harleys out accelerating sports bikes off the line.

The base assumption is that a bigger ratio will give more acceleration but it doesn’t really work in the real world. I think it might have been Grey Area KTM who recommend a slightly smaller ratio for the RC for the fastest 0-60 time. What a bigger ratio will give you is a smaller speed range in each gear. This is why stunt riders run a much bigger ratio. It means throttle movements have less impact on speed giving a smoother throttle control. So not exactly mad acceleration!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well noted!
Your recommendation of +1F vs. -1F was basically for longer legs on the highway, if I may assume correctly?
How does it behave in town or, on slow, winding, uphill sections with some traffic? This is my foremost concern.

·
Registered
467 Posts
+1 on the front will assist for lower revs at speed and as noted above it is suggested that it gives better acceleration up to that speed - largely I suspect from less gear changing. In theory it will mean slow uphills will be slightly harder but it depends on what you define as slow and we have at least one member who is adamant that it makes the bike handle better at low speed - in direct conflict with the gearing commander theory. This is why I recommend testing yourself because road conditions vary so much and for example do you carry a passenger?
I’m currently effectively at -1 and that works very well for me and gives good uphill acceleration and in town but according to our lover of +1 should make the bike unridable at low speed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is exactly what i was looking to hear. Thank you.
I will never ride the thing over 70mph anyway.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Will get some piccies up soon.
Rotors F&R/MC/Wheel Powder coating/new larger tyres/-1F Sprocket from a 250/phone holders/aux lights - all happening soon!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts