KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there! New here. Also new to modding.

Currently I'm running the bike stock with a DB killer removed from the exhaust and it's running hot. I'm in Texas and the fan kicks on like every time I stop. I've learned from lurking here that it's because of the Duke's lean nature.

I just ordered a FuelX Pro, a Coober air box lid, and K&N filter, and a GP-S1 shorty exhaust for my Duke 390. I'm also considering a Competition Werkes chamber delete (thoughts?).

I want to increase the range of the power band, so I thought the aforementioned things I just ordered would work to do that. I know the FuelX is a new product, and but will the FuelX protect my bike from running too lean with the other mods? Or do I still need a more comprehensive ECU?

Thanks in advance for the help. I've learned a lot from lurking here in the last few weeks since I bought my 2020 Duke.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think your plan for mods is excellent, I will let you know that no matter what you do the fan is always going to kick on when you're resting at a stop- that's just the way KTM designed these bikes, I believe. The chamber delete from competition werkes is a beautiful pipe too, it sure does wake up the bike and make it quite loud when paired with a slip on. I can't speak to the Fuel-X, as I'm running a Coober piggyback at the moment, but from what I've read it appears to be a quality part as well.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My understanding is that you should be safe from running lean with the FuelX Pro. I'm going with a similar setup, but chose the PowerTRONIC unit over the FuelX Pro for a few different reasons. Per my correspondence with the PowerTRONICS folks...

"FuelX is a fuel optimizer that is focused on refining and enhancing the motor to ensure it runs smooth and is happy. It autotunes the engine to its best optimal parameters constantly monitoring, learning, and adapting to the conditions of the engine like wear and tear, riding style, mods like exhaust/air filter as well as external weather conditions and altitude. It can control the AFR completely, as well as reduce stalling, jerking, and bogging in the initial throttle range and provide a better throttle response.

As a result, the engine will be running in an optimal condition, much cooler operating engine temperature and lesser gear shifts incidentally resulting in performance gains at the lower RPM and throttle percentage region. This initial response helps the engine to eventually pushes more at higher revs and throttle percentages and provides overall performance.

Whereas the PowerTRONIC is a piggyback ECU, its major role is to improve the overall performance of the motorcycle by controlling fueling and ignition. For the open-loop control, you can use the PowerTROINIC which is a piggyback Plug-N-Play ECU that comes with 2 pre-tuned maps. (Map 1-Race, Map 2-Race+). It controls both Fuel and Ignition. You can load the current map as the base map and relatively change the Amount of fuel (in%) and Ignition timing (in degrees) of the bike with the help of R-Tune software."

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for the help y'all. If anyone knows more, please chime in!
I wrapped the header with heat wrap and noticed a little bit cooler running temp (one less bar on the gauge) I live in a hot humid climate (Thailand) but when the outside temperature is over 100 degrees fahrenheit the bike is going to run hot. the heat wrap does help.
Vehicle Automotive tire Car Hood Automotive fuel system

·
Registered
17 Posts
FWIW I've got a 2021 with a K&N filter (stock airbox lid), Akra slip on (DBK removed), and a fuelx pro running on setting 5. The FXPro has 7 settings (1 lean - 7 rich) with level 3 being similar to stock. I mentioned this in another thread but the FXPro is the best money i've ever spent for daily riding related quality of life. I can't say i've noticed it runs cooler, but the fan kicks on a lot almost no matter what. I ride, lets just say, aggressively, even in temps of 30-40F and the fan sometimes kicks on when I stop in the winter months.

I'm never going to put my 390 on the track, but if you're planning on tracking or deep diving into the tuning of the bike, the piggyback is a better choice. Much more customizable and you can map it however you please, which is where you'll really be able to toy with the power band.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FWIW I've got a 2021 with a K&N filter (stock airbox lid), Akra slip on (DBK removed), and a fuelx pro running on setting 5. The FXPro has 7 settings (1 lean - 7 rich) with level 3 being similar to stock. I mentioned this in another thread but the FXPro is the best money i've ever spent for daily riding related quality of life. I can't say i've noticed it runs cooler, but the fan kicks on a lot almost no matter what. I ride, lets just say, aggressively, even in temps of 30-40F and the fan sometimes kicks on when I stop in the winter months.

I'm never going to put my 390 on the track, but if you're planning on tracking or deep diving into the tuning of the bike, the piggyback is a better choice. Much more customizable and you can map it however you please, which is where you'll really be able to toy with the power band.
Thanks for the reply! I got the fuelX and the mods together. It’s running smoothly. The air coming off the fan seems to be cooler as well.

·
Administrator
2,247 Posts
Great that you are happy with your set up but the fan kicks in at a set temp so your last remark can't be factual.

Thanks for the reply! I got the fuelX and the mods together. It’s running smoothly. The air coming off the fan seems to be cooler as well.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Great that you are happy with your set up but the fan kicks in at a set temp so your last remark can't be factual.
^^^^ This guy, always with the facts. LOL.... You beat me to it again!

And in response to kdotsiok, the FuelX Pro has "10" settings with #3 being stock, yet their own AFR chart also shows #1 has the same AFR as #3, so technically there are 8 different settings/maps to choose from other than stock. My bike runs cooler as well, fan still kicks on & blows the same temp hot air when it kicks on, just not as often as before installing the FuelX Pro.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

And in response to kdotsiok, the FuelX Pro has "10" settings with #3 being stock, yet their own AFR chart also shows #1 has the same AFR as #3, so technically there are 8 different settings/maps to choose from other than stock. My bike runs cooler as well, fan still kicks on & blows the same temp hot air when it kicks on, just not as often as before installing the FuelX Pro.
Good to know. It’s in my head I guess.

·
Registered
825 Posts
FuelX is actually a worthwhile and cheap setup compared to dedicated piggybacks. It's versatile, allows the user to change modes on the fly and it's extremely helpful to calm down the temperamental nature of the motorcycle. Provides crisp, jerk free throttle response and cools the engine to an extent

·
Registered
17 Posts

News to me, I'll dig my box out of the basement tonight to look as I would have bet my plums on the fact that I only had seven settings. Running that thing on 10 would be like pouring gas on a fire. Thanks for the heads up!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts