KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought i'd say hello, picking up my new 390 black tommorow.

My name is Craig and live in Australia. I'm an avid dirt bike rider who's dipped into buying a commuter bike although not a regular road bike rider. That being said i'm one not to leave well enough alone and have a bad habit of heavily modifying motorcycles.

My last project was a CR500 engine into a gen3 Cr125 chassis, although i'm a mechanic by trade i'm no longer in the trade but still tinker when i can.

Looking forward to see what this 390 has to offer and see maybe what i can offer in return. Tobehonest i purchased this bike on a whim without riding one, lets see what happens.

Cheers Craig

Craig.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Hi there Craig!
Warm welcome here and if am not mistaken, you would love the D390.
There are some annoyances but as a package, its total fun.
Looking forward to hear about the mods you would do on the Duke :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
picked her up this afternoon, must say i'm quite impressed although a couple minor things which is too premature to speculate yet.

She's got more poke than i was expecting, i'll seriously have to show some restraint to keep my licence.

Cant wait to get some seat time. It's my first ever 4 stroke with 30 years of riding dirtbikes and the engine braking does my head in.

( old dog new tricks Lol.)

I'm actually a little exited about this bike.

cheers Craig

·
Registered
119 Posts
picked her up this afternoon, must say i'm quite impressed although a couple minor things which is too premature to speculate yet.

She's got more poke than i was expecting, i'll seriously have to show some restraint to keep my licence.

Cant wait to get some seat time. It's my first ever 4 stroke with 30 years of riding dirtbikes and the engine braking does my head in.

( old dog new tricks Lol.)

I'm actually a little exited about this bike.

cheers Craig
Similar story here, the engine braking is really taking some getting used to. I find it quite annoying and I barely ever use the brakes even in town. It's that fierce that a few times the back wheel has actually locked up ever so slightly when dropping a few gears for a tighter corner.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Keep it around 6 to 7000+rpm on your way down and there is none. Ok your floating (speeding/flying/hooking in) when your clicking down in that range but the bike LOVES it :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Keep it around 6 to 7000+rpm on your way down and there is none. Ok your floating (speeding/flying/hooking in) when your clicking down in that range but the bike LOVES it :D
went for a short run today and it's feeling much better, just a matter of getting a feel for the sweet spots. The more i ride it the more i like it.

2 things to mention, first ride i had a flame out coming into a corner and not a happy jump starter so i hit the button. It's never done it again. I now blip the throttle on down shift, probably not a quirk of the fueling but seems to work.

Second day i went to ride it to work, in the morning she was not happy and did not want to run. I believe i've tried to open the throttle too soon after start.

this morning it was extra cold, i hit the button and no problems whatsoever. i waited until my temp guage was 2 bars before touching the throttle. worked perfect.

In saying, it's too early to speculate or diagnose but seems it's lack of feel on my behalf and operator error rather than the bike.

Take my cr500 for example, i'm at one with the bike. i let someone else ride it they generally have no hope in **** starting it. lol.

i think seat time and getting familiar with the bike is the key.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Its an awesome bike mate you will love it, welcome to the club! Not sure how familiar you are with efi engines in bikes but dont give it throttle on startup like you would a dirt bike. I think the efi is also the reason it doesn't like lots of throttle when its cold.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Same things happen to me mate, 2nd bar on the temp is a must otherwise you get flame out or neutral gear from 1st to 2nd everytime. Its starting to get cold up here on the tablelands and Im now having to push the starter a little longer than the usual quick flick. Blipping on the downward gears is also something I always do, could have something to do with the 2 stroke exposure but Ive found riding it like an older bike works better than riding it like a new BMW.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts