KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody had any success messing with the sprockets on their bike? I've a 2017.....although I love the thing I cant help feeling it could do with a little more legs and 1st gear is pretty useless really? I'm thinking down one on the front or should I do down 1 or 2 on the rear? :unsure::unsure::unsure: Please don't mention the Chinese shite tailpipe it was on it when I bought it...………...does sound ok though!

·
Registered
437 Posts
I suspect you mean one up on the front? 16 front is the equivalent of a 42 rear since the gearing stock is 3.0. Advantage of the front is that you don’t need to change chain length which can happen with rear but rear gives better fine tuning. You can of course change both.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes sorry...…….so standard is 15-45 is it? I've actually not looked at the front sprocket...…… I think I'll go for the 1 at the front first and then if it's a little too much I'll start messing with the rear.....will probably end up with a stealth sprocket if I go for the rear and a new chain so be easier on my pocket to try the front first!! ;) Course I'm presuming there's room to go up on the front!? Will have to check tomorrow...….

·
Registered
22 Posts
There is another thread regarding sprockets, on that it says there is 44T on 2017> Duke 390. I am thinking of trying a 41T.

·
Premium Member
1,011 Posts
I run a 16 on the front. You could fit larger but you’d have to remove the chain guard behind it.
I also run a 16T with oe rear 45. Works well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I agree, first gear was useless for me, and the gearing was too low for the type of riding I do (50-70mph twisties.) I went from a 45 to a 43 rear and am happy with the results. I almost think a 42 would be perfect but I'm sticking with the 43 for now until I get in some longer rides to really decide.

BTW I didn't go with the 16 front because I wanted to make the wheelbase a little longer, not shorter.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I also went with a 43 tooth rear and i am happy with the results, bike just feels better at low speed town riding and I feel it hasn't lost anything mid range or top end.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Im trying to find somewhere that does a 42/42 superspox stealth jobbie!? Just as well buy blingy if buying........anybody know where stocks them? 🤔

·
Registered
22 Posts
Im trying to find somewhere that does a 42/42 superspox stealth jobbie!? Just as well buy blingy if buying........anybody know where stocks them? 🤔
I have had a nightmare trying to find UK stockists for rear sprockets.

Did find a 42T and 43T though not Supersprocket - here

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Irritatingly the website lists 42-43-44-45-46 for the stealth sprocket but mailed the importer and he said its available in 45 only!? :unsure:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts