KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there,

Today I have finally put a deposit down for a new 2020 Duke 390 and I was trying to figure out a few things, mainly what are the best things to "do" on the bike. I understand that the Coober air cap with extra air intake it's a must and I am pretty much sold on that (I can 3D print it myself anyway). I am also going to get a street-legal tail tidy so that I don't have to have that long thing punch me in the face every time I look at my bike :). My question for you guys would be which exhaust (if any) would you suggest I look into (for both sound and performance, don't want super loud, but I would like crisp sound). Also, if you guys think there are other things I could do to the bike that is worth it (aesthetically or functionally).

Thank you all so much in advance and I'll be looking forward reading your comments!

P.S.: Do you guys know how to find local riding groups so that I don't ride alone? :(

·
Registered
248 Posts
hello, hope you enjoy your new bike, I can't offer any advice on the mods you want but I do reckon you ought to ride the bike for a few miles before fitting any of them, otherwise you won't know if it is money well spent on improving the bike, have fun though

·
Registered
569 Posts
I would second the advice to ride the bike first and certainly wait till after first service.

Regarding exhausts a lot will depend on what noise levels you want or can get away with. There are some very loud ones out there which may not be legal for you or will just attract too much attention from the police. Also bear in mind you will I think have a different exhaust routing which will at least initially negate some options discussed here regarding decat etc so consider that when reviewing options.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Congrats on the bike!

I would suggest that you same your money on performance mods. It's a 373cc engine, you aren't going to get that much of an improvement for the money you spend. Go for mods that improve the look, sound, or functionality of the bike. You'll be a lot happier.

·
Super Moderator
1,420 Posts
For touring buddies post a call on the regional section on the forum.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hello there,

Today I have finally put a deposit down for a new 2020 Duke 390 and I was trying to figure out a few things, mainly what are the best things to "do" on the bike. I understand that the Coober air cap with extra air intake it's a must and I am pretty much sold on that (I can 3D print it myself anyway). I am also going to get a street-legal tail tidy so that I don't have to have that long thing punch me in the face every time I look at my bike :). My question for you guys would be which exhaust (if any) would you suggest I look into (for both sound and performance, don't want super loud, but I would like crisp sound). Also, if you guys think there are other things I could do to the bike that is worth it (aesthetically or functionally).

Thank you all so much in advance and I'll be looking forward reading your comments!

P.S.: Do you guys know how to find local riding groups so that I don't ride alone? :(
My suggestion is to get the tune correct (add a piggyback ecu) and if you don't want to change the air filter lid I don't really think its a must have. I have the stock lid with a drop in high flow filter from K&N and you get an improved sound and smooth ride at city speeds. Besides that, I found most exhausts too farty sounding. Mivv does have a couple that have a decent tone, however. I'm happy with stock, since the tune and filter make the bike deeper sounding by themselves.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hello there,

Where are you from? N.E. Iowa here. Beautiful riding in twisty bluff country!

·
Registered
25 Posts
The first thing you need to do BEFORE doing ANY mods. is to run the bike for the 650 mile break in. Do your mods, Then take it to the dealer for its check up. Talk to your dealer on what you wish to do. They can tell you as to when the best time to put on your mods. There are many settings that the bike will have to learn after your mods.
BagorosPerformance is a great source. Fast shipping. Great products!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Where are you from? N.E. Iowa here. Beautiful riding in twisty bluff country!
I now live in NJ. I cannot find too many people around here :( would love to ride with people and find people to help me understand the bike. I wanna learn how to work on it on my own and stuff. Not may people in my area I guess

·
Registered
25 Posts
I now live in NJ. I cannot find too many people around here :( would love to ride with people and find people to help me understand the bike. I wanna learn how to work on it on my own and stuff. Not may people in my area I guess
Have you looked at a site called KTMTalk. I am a member there too. You can be very area specific and may have better luck finding other KTM riders to ride with. Wish you were closer. There are about a dozen 390 duke riders all within an hour of me but we have yet to get together. I would like to host a ride!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Have you looked at a site called KTMTalk. I am a member there too. You can be very area specific and may have better luck finding other KTM riders to ride with. Wish you were closer. There are about a dozen 390 duke riders all within an hour of me but we have yet to get together. I would like to host a ride!
Yeah, that sounds amazing. Maybe one day I'll be bold enough to ride to you hahaha
I'll check that website out! Thank you

·
Registered
752 Posts
The O/P had not been back on here since. l hope that they found what they wanted on that other forum.

l don't mind going out on my own, but it's great to ride in a group or with someone else if you can.

·
Registered
38 Posts
These bikes run lean from the factory to meet emissions standards, don’t do any intake mods (making it leaner) without exhaust also... and a piggyback ecu would probably be the best first “performance” mod.

Reactions: Mirius
1 - 15 of 15 Posts