KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope this is in the right section.....

Just bought a s/h "new model" 390 - having had the original model a few years back....

Initial thoughts - whilst not as bad at low speeds and round town as the old one, its way to lumpy and jerky for me and from the traffic lights - it needs changing up almost instantly - its frankly bonkers !.....

With the previous model i changed the rear sprocket and was chuffed with the results....

So ordered a - 3 tooth from Tyga Performance in Satahip (the new model has 44 tooth, compared to the old model which has 45 tooth)

Got it fitted .......

Wow - what a transformation for such a small cost .....

The jerkyness has gone.....its not so mental taking off from the traffic lights.... stays in 1st, 2nd and 3rd longer....mid range acceration feels quicker.......in top gear, revs are lower and it's more relaxed.....also when you slow down in top gear and then want to resume speed, no need to change down to 5th as pick up is very good....as well, the gear change feels a lot smoother and slicker - i'm also assured that the top speed increases, although i'm not really bothered about that.....

in the past i've done re-maps / mod exhaust and all that melarkey - but i don't think i'll bother this time - The police here have got stricter on mod exhausts - so gives me the perfect excuse to not faff around with it.....

k & K filter fitted by the previous owner and air box lid mods give a bit of "induction roar" - that suits me perfectly.... God i'm starting to sound like my Dad !

Attachments

·
Registered
342 Posts
You have already the KTM "race" exhaust.
According to the dealer the jerkiness is more pronounced with anything other than the stock exhaust. At least that is what they told me.
Enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
453 Posts
You have done the right think. Even though I have the 200 model, I am also at 3 teeth less. You can't drive that thing with stock gears, its only for drag/track race.

Sent from my ASUS_X00HD using Tapatalk

·
Registered
435 Posts
You have done the right think. Even though I have the 200 model, I am also at 3 teeth less. You can't drive that thing with stock gears, its only for drag/track race.

Sent from my ASUS_X00HD using Tapatalk

Depends how and where you ride. I’m at 5+ teeth and it’s just about right.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Has anyone one put a 39 T rear sprocket on the 390? I've change out the sprocket on my Triumph Street Twin (and did a chain adjustment link) and it was a noticeable difference, in a good way.

i think (imho) that 39T maybe a bit too much....

41 / 42 the best for day to day living with the bike.....

·
Registered
643 Posts
This is interesting
So you are saying that the bike works better with higher gearing.
The standard rear sprocket on the 2017 onwards, is a 44 tooth so l need a 41. Do you have to shorten the chain?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is interesting
The standard rear sprocket on the 2017 onwards, is a 44 tooth so l need a 41. Do you have to shorten the chain?

yes - the difference is staggering .....

I went for a 41 - my comments above are based on a 41T rear sprocket....

You don't have to shorten the chain - as there is plenty of adjustment - but i would suggest you do - i had the mechanic take out 2 links, before re-joining the chain with a suitable joining link.....Pretty easy if you know how....

·
Registered
22 Posts
This is interesting
Hi, did you ever get a 41T as I am looking at the moment for feedback and where to buy from.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts