KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I actually prefer the Kappa brand but the Givi is more readily available.

I fitted the 24L version on the offical KTM rack (I removed the KTM alloy tray and used the GIVI one).

Pic here. It "almost" suits the KTM but there is no perfect match. I am not a fan of the square cube KTM top boxes.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xb6f0cd3bvyr8tp/2013-12-14 17.42.21.jpg

·
Registered
573 Posts
Where are u planning to travel, that box sure look it can carry enough stuff to travel up North to Thailand :)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Actually by local standards it's pretty small - the locals prefer the 33L box (E33). It's enough for my groceries and a spare lid.

GIVI ASIA
Thats a humongous box as it is I don't know if I can have a bigger one. Btu it does make sense for some if the 390 is their only means of transportation.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I guess if you are using the Duke to do errands and get to work and everything it makes sense, but most people in North American would be surprised to see a box that big on the back of a non-touring bike.

·
Registered
533 Posts
yea pretty much nobody in NA uses topboxes like that on a commuter bike. Most people I see its either a simple back pack or at most soft panniers.

do they make side pans too?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yea pretty much nobody in NA uses topboxes like that on a commuter bike. Most people I see its either a simple back pack or at most soft panniers.

Apparently they do.

I used to think like you when I lived in Australia. I'd strap all my crap on my tiny racks on my RD350 or GSX250X and get pissed off when my crap got dirty, wet or stolen.

Now I don't think twice about having a box on the back. The new plastic boxes are light and cheap and waterproof with an adequate lock. I never have to worry about not having a spare helmet (I always carry a bucket helmet as a spare) or being able to bring home some groceries.

The biggest issue with these is the rack - that's why I use the genuine ones when available. The KTM one cost me S$280 - a lot more than the box - but probably won't break. The GIVI ones always fail from what I've seen.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts

Thats what i see most people doing, most don't need to carry a lot, just keeping things minimal. Few people need the big top box and even saddle bags

·
Registered
223 Posts
Just for those interested - pic showing the KTM 34 liter box and mounting bracket.

Attachments

·
Registered
440 Posts
Hmm, interesting.

I've been looking at getting a Givi box for my 390, and to be honest the Givi website isn't much help.

I need to know what size Monolock (as I believe they're the only ones suitable for the 390) is big enough to swallow a Shoei DS Hornet lid (as they're quite a bit bigger than a standard lid).

Can anyone of you suggest what size would be needed?

(a Shoei Hornet DS yesterday)

·
Registered
223 Posts
The one in the pic easily accomodates my Shoei XR1100 with some room to spare. Dont really know the DS hornett but if it only has the xtra visor bit on the top extra (and the shell is the same) I think it will fit.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I actually prefer the Kappa brand but the Givi is more readily available.

I fitted the 24L version on the offical KTM rack (I removed the KTM alloy tray and used the GIVI one).

Pic here. It "almost" suits the KTM but there is no perfect match. I am not a fan of the square cube KTM top boxes.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xb6f0cd3bvyr8tp/2013-12-14 17.42.21.jpg
One Pizza in and around 30 mins, anyone! :p Good stuff, AOD, just paint them rack to orange and you have yourself a pseudo KTM powerpart, to add to the bling.

OT aside, I think it's very capacious and here in India you have GIVI but still skeptical if they're genuine GIVI, looks shoddy but since then haven't given a try. Bought myself a good old tail bag, so that it's ready to kick arse when time comes.

Cheers!
VJ

1 - 14 of 14 Posts