KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks how goes it?!

First time street bike owner, snagged me a 2022 fresh off the lot two weeks ago. I've been waiting for one for a while now and got super lucky. Does anyone else have a 22 yet? It's an absolute blast and boy is my wallet happy with sub $20 fill ups! Whoever says small bikes are worthless ( I was told this incessantly) is just wrong. This thing is so fun, and in the Malibu canyon twisties its a weapon. I've been riding dirt bikes and raced downhill MTB's my whole life so I'm rather comfortable on it and I'm having way too much of a good time.

Plan to do a few things, get rid of the fender, get a slip on, and find some less funky lookin mirrors. I live close to a tuner and plan to get it dialed in with a slip on to smooth it out, but it's so good as is and I love it!

If anyone lives near Thousand Oaks California and wants to ride, lets go chase down some R1's in the canyons!
Tire Cloud Wheel Sky Vehicle

Tire Cloud Sky Wheel Fuel tank

·
Registered
2020 Duke 390
53 Posts
You got scammed, that's a 2021. Just kidding, they are kinda like downhill bikes where they are NOS, but just refresh the paint for the current year, and bam it's a 2022 YT Tues.

Good choice on the mods, cheapest way to make the bike look way better right off the hop. I was a little surprised myself filling up at Shell with the Nitro+ 91 and came in at $17.41 CAD.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had a feeling that was the case. Due to all the calamity with covid and supply chain stuff there were no 21's and I've been waiting since December for a 22. It was an excruciating wait but now I'm way stoked!

·
Registered
2020 Duke 390
53 Posts
Ya it's just the change of VIN to register for the current year, but all the same great bike regardless. Does make it confusing for mods, even though parts from 2017+ will fit, it will show not much options for 2022, because no one knows for sure if there any changes, of which they are none. I got tired of waiting for a 2021 and got a lightly used 2020 and saved some cash that way. Although I like the white and black color scheme on the frame and wheels compared to the KTM orange, much easier to hide dirt especially on the rear wheel.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also I am a tad curious. Ive seen some threads about people saying a tune is recommended for a slip on, others say it isn't necessary. I talked to an old Moto GP racer that i know, and he was kind of on the fence on wether or not a power commander was necessary. Im interested in the Pro Race shorty pipe, I love the look and I have no problems being loud, I would actually prefer it. Anyone got any input for me? I don't want to lean the bike out too much because I understand that is the main concern, and my commute to work is about 55 miles round trip so it'll be running around 7500-8500k for about an hour throughout my commute.

·
Administrator
2,324 Posts
Personal view:
I am not an exhaust replacement person for looks at all but about any exhaust/muffler change:
In general, for our single-cylinder engines, the volume of the can is important (if you want to keep or increase the BHP).
The famous German tuner at Pirate-Racing has done numerous dyno tests on mainly 690's (single-cylinder) engines and without any exception, all the larger cans perform better, be it on a standard engine or PCV piggyback.
As mentioned before, I have tried an Ixil Hyper-low and a MIVV (both full exhausts) on mine and although not on a dyno, returned back to the 'teapot' OE (first-series).
It appears our engines need the larger volume silencers in order to produce or increase the power.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts