KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks

Had my Duke for just over a month, now showing just over 800 miles. Bought from Gear4, and recently serviced at Drysdale.

Still getting used to it, but it's been a blast so far! Coming from larger, heavier bikes it's been a revelation.

Was due to go on a long trip this weekend with some mates, but weather looking dodgy, so we'll just have to see.

Have fitted larger windshield and 12v din socket. I've also got the PP hand guards, but not sure how to fit them - well, I am sure, but the kit is useless and a real bodge, unless someone on here knows different?

Anyway, looking forward to reading others' experiences and sharing tips - here's a pic.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Orkney ;)

Welcome!
Are the hand guards the white ones like the Indian model comes with? Ive heard their not very good quality.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Orkney ;)

Welcome!
Are the hand guards the white ones like the Indian model comes with? Ive heard their not very good quality.
I'll add some pics of the kit and components below for any wise folk out there to comment on. Basically, when I remove the bar end weights, there's a threaded insert which I don't know how to remove. I've pictured the kit parts in a close up that would fit in its place, but the thread is too wide to fit without removing this insert..

I could use the shorter bolts also supplied, and not remove this insert, but they fit very badly in the outer recess for the aluminium frame. This appears to be the way to fit the guards according to one KTM dealer who's selling a tricked up bike with PP goodies.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome to the forum, what other bikes have you owned in the past?
In reverse order:

Honda VFR800X (Crossrunner)
Hondas Fury(!)
BMW F800GS
Suzuki DR200
Honda Super Blackbird
BMW F650 Funduro
Triumph Thunderbird Sport
BMW R1200C
Buell XB9SX
Ducati 916
Aprilia Moto 6.5(!)
Honda CBR600
Honda Transalp
Several 'commuter' bikes in the dim and distant past

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hey mate, I got my 390 from Drysdale but I'm south from there - Glasgow.

I was thinking about handguards but seen the inserts when I changed the stock grips for Renthals.

Couldn't you just find a bolt that fits thread on the insert, might need a few washers on r/h side so throttle doesn't bind.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Couldn't you just find a bolt that fits thread on the insert, might need a few washers on r/h side so throttle doesn't bind.
I suppose I could, although you won't get one with the right diameter sunken head, so it won't fit particularly well. And as you say, it leaves the throttle side in danger of binding.

Someone, somewhere must have removed the stock insert?

I suspect I'll end up with a fudge as I do fancy retaining the end bar weights to dampen vibes.

·
Registered
573 Posts
welcome .. the stock insert is permanently GLUED ... tried it by hammering ... done that .. tried that ... gave up ... change a new handlebar ...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
welcome .. the stock insert is permanently GLUED ... tried it by hammering ... done that .. tried that ... gave up ... change a new handlebar ...
That would explain everything!

I might pay a visit to a hardware shop next week, and see just how close I can get to making the hand guards work with the existing insert.

I thought there might have been a tap and die based solution, that would give me either a reverse thread to unscrew it out, or make a larger thread for the bigger bolt.

I'll report back :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts