KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Greetings from Jozi (Johannesburg) South Africa.

I just finished my break-in ride on my 390. What an awesome bike. Just love how nimble and light the bike is. Been riding bikes for some time now, mostly MX and off-road (still do some out rides from time to time).

Been doing street riding for several years now (about 7) and decided it was time for a new commuter and chose the 390. What a great choice, just love this bike.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Welocme aboard @swannie_za

Glad to hear you're enjoying your 390, what other bikes have you owned in the past? With 7 years of riding experience I bet you have at least gone through a couple nice bikes!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks HazardousDuke.

One would expect several nice bikes in that time, but truth be told I only ever owned one, a 250 Motard that I used for commuting. Borrowed friends bikes from time to time incl. GS 650 and Z750 but never 'owned' anything other than the Motard. I tend to stick with the bike I have. Been lucky so far with the bikes I have bought.

Even the MX bikes were far and few in between, had a small KX80 growing up and later owned a CRF 250 for a short burst and currently running with a CRF450X and TRX400. The 450 is little tall for my short frame but oodles of fun.

The duke is my first 'proper' road bike.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. Really appreciate the warm welcome.

Must admit the only 'issue' I have had so far is the soft/spongy front brake. Not great and had KTM Raceworx bleed the brakes at about 500km, did not improve much.

Other than that I just love this machine!

·
Registered
11 Posts
LOL. What are the chances? 3 South Africans from JHB. All 3 of us got the bike from Race Worx KTM. My baby is in for the 5000 km service. (SI's have been extended to 7500 km according to Keith, the workshop manager)

The radiator fan on mine is being replaced as it's either intermittent or not working at all. Couldn't really hear what Keith said, as I had terrible signal when he contacted me.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LOL, quite a coincidence, 3 riders from the same area/surrounding suburbs. If you guys see a duke on the road, I'm the guy wearing the orange Leatt.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Thanks HazardousDuke.

One would expect several nice bikes in that time, but truth be told I only ever owned one, a 250 Motard that I used for commuting. Borrowed friends bikes from time to time incl. GS 650 and Z750 but never 'owned' anything other than the Motard. I tend to stick with the bike I have. Been lucky so far with the bikes I have bought.

Even the MX bikes were far and few in between, had a small KX80 growing up and later owned a CRF 250 for a short burst and currently running with a CRF450X and TRX400. The 450 is little tall for my short frame but oodles of fun.

The duke is my first 'proper' road bike.
Indeed, one would really expect that, but even though that's not the case, at least you still got to ride a decent range of bikes, it's that experience that matters.

Any reason why you never owned anything other than the Motard?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Indeed, one would really expect that, but even though that's not the case, at least you still got to ride a decent range of bikes, it's that experience that matters.

Any reason why you never owned anything other than the Motard?
I always had MX bikes, so I just felt more comfortable with the off-road style and riding position. The riding position on to many road bikes seems a little 'flat', and with my short legs leaning forward and into the handlebars and reaching over the tank seems awkward. That is part of what makes the 390 such a pleasure, and I suppose most naked bikes, the riding position is a lot more upright and aggressive. A bit more like the MX bikes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts