KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guy's I just signed up for this forum. I own a KTM dealership in Louisville. I'm not on the forum to plug my shop just to ask about interest. We have already delivered 4 RC 390's in the last week and we are very impressed with the product. We have torn a bike all the way down and are working on developing a drop in power-up kit. I wanted to let it be know and see if anyone would be interested. The kit would contain a drop-in high comp piston, a pair of high lift cams that would be exchanged with your original, a PCV that will contain two custom maps, a thinner head/base gasket and K&N air filter. On our dyno the stock bike puts down 40.5 to the rear wheel, with Akra exhaust and K&N filter the bike put down 42.5 to the rear on the KTM mapping (which needs work). We are planing to up the compression to over 14.0:1 and reach 50ish plus on good fuel at the rear wheel. We expect kits to cost in the $1700 range. Please give me some feed back.
Thanks Ed

·
Registered
209 Posts
Guy's I just signed up for this forum. I own a KTM dealership in Louisville. I'm not on the forum to plug my shop just to ask about interest. We have already delivered 4 RC 390's in the last week and we are very impressed with the product. We have torn a bike all the way down and are working on developing a drop in power-up kit. I wanted to let it be know and see if anyone would be interested. The kit would contain a drop-in high comp piston, a pair of high lift cams that would be exchanged with your original, a PCV that will contain two custom maps, a thinner head/base gasket and K&N air filter. On our dyno the stock bike puts down 40.5 to the rear wheel, with Akra exhaust and K&N filter the bike put down 42.5 to the rear on the KTM mapping (which needs work). We are planing to up the compression to over 14.0:1 and reach 50ish plus on good fuel at the rear wheel. We expect kits to cost in the $1700 range. Please give me some feed back.
Thanks Ed
Your brain tells you with further USD 1700 you can easily buy another bike with way more than 50 ponies at the rear. However.......

Most of us follow our heart, and it tells you >:D spend a few hundreds to squeeze more power out of it!!!!!!

I'm sure there will be potential buyers for that...perhaps with a lower price tag though.

Keep us updated on your developments.

·
Premium Member
1,630 Posts
I like the idea, and will watch how it develops, but as far as digging into the engine goes, I'll wait until real life reliability reports come back before considering it.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I am all ears Ed. I live close to you, Cincinnati, and would love to come see what you are up to. Thanks for your hard work. My response is, Yes, I would be interested in your power upgrades. Please keep us posted on your findings. Akrapovic and K&N gets you up to 42.5 Hp at the rear wheel. How much for the Akrapovic exhaust?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I would be really interested too. If I stay under 400 cc I would save that in two year insurance costs. Which I could put towards something like this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the feed-back! We are in process with the kits, but we are also working on performance products that will not entail an engine tear down, (gains will be less). We have to decide how many kits to build in the first batch and you input has been helpful. If you have any tech questions drop us a line and we will answer them ASAP.
Thanks Ed

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
F1-Tod,
I see you are also a Ducati rider. Have you ever stoped by shop, we are a Ducati dealer, and have lots of customers in the Cincy area. FYI we will have the KTM Demo truck at our shop on April 29th, stop by and do some demo rides.
Best Regards
Ed

·
Registered
94 Posts
I would be keen on it and other add ons. But with the engine work, it will be more after it has been well trialed and documented.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I think if you develop a few 'staged' performance improvement kits you could be on to something - specially aiming it at the RC390. (ie Stage 1 kit, stage 2 exhaust kit, stage 3....)

I see the RC becoming a cult classic in the racing world. KTM are also selling the RC as a racer - but these are detuned to meet the rules of the racing series they decided on. Most entrants into the sub 400cc class racing at club level end up going the Ninja 300 route - entrance cost and upgrade options aplenty.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Thanks Ed
You mention PCV, I'm assuming you're referring to a Dynojet PCV?

I ask, as I've been in frequent communication with Dynojet UK and it's only very recently (this week) that I've received confirmation that the 390 PCv is finally near production.

Or are you referring to something else?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm in Denver, I would be intrested in a good USA ecu map and possibly an exhaust. On the ecu upgrade would that be something we would send to you and you re map it and send it back or is it like a plug and play set up? I have a K&N air filter and I really dont want to dig into the motor. Although its nice to have the much bigger power, when talking dollars and cents you will never get it out of the bike when you want to get a different bike, seeing how much an exhaust from KTM costs I dont think your asking to much for the kit, but the reality of it is I believe most people buy this bike due to the cheap entry cost... $1700 for your kit to make 50ish HP and void warranty, $300 dollars on top of the $1700 for your kit some one can buy a brand new yamaha fz-07 which retail for 7K. which is in the 60+ HP range. But I think your on to something, I havent found anyone in the USA doing any kind of quality upgrades for this bike yet.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I think if approached in a "Stage" format it would be more marketable to be sure, especially if warranty-friendly parts are used in the initial stage, say an Akrapovic/Arrow pipe and K&N filter for stage 1, same with ECU reflash for stage 2 and THEN hit the innards. Typically the stage 3 mods are the most expensive (and warranty shredding) of the bunch with most tuners, and deliver that last shot over the top. I've never been inside a KTM motor but a set of cams and port matching/polishing will enhance the earlier modifications even more on a typical engine. Not sure I'd raise compression unless racing fuel ONLY is to be used. 2 different cam profiles for track or street use would be best way to go IMO to extend the engine's longevity. YMMV.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The thing that would worry me is that the bike vibrates a lot already at high speeds wont these kits adding 10 HP make it vibrate significantly more? More power is always better but i do not want my bike falling apart because to much vibration. It is a decent price for someone that wants to stay under the cheaper cc's and still have lots of fun. Good luck with the project and keep us posted!!!

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I know everybody is in love with piggy-back ECU's but if somebody can unlock and re-flash the factory one with some nice tweaks like increased rev limiter, enriched low speed fuel metering and earlier fan activation they'd make a lot of people very happy. Yeah, and w/o sending it out of the USA too please.

Pete

·
Registered
29 Posts
I am not sure how often Ed checks the forum these days, however, I can provide some updates as I am friends with Chad (who is doing the engine work) and he is currently building my track bike...

Chad said:
Sneak Peak with the new cams. Pistons should be in early June.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 36 Posts