KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have Oxford heated grips fitted and they worked ok when I first tried them, the last few times that they have been used they keep turning themselves off when the revs drop, so I thought that it must be the battery not having enough charge so I took it to my local dealer to check the charging and it was ok, 12.9v without running and up to 14v when started, with it running the charge rate showed around13.2v with the grips on their highest setting,
as I get 'low battery' show on the dash after using the grips and after just setting the time I thought the battery must be bad, so I bought a new Yuasa battery yesterday and charged it overnight, this morning I fitted it and just as I had finished resetting the time the 'low battery' warning came up again, is this normal ?,
I will see if the grips stay on today as I ride to work, I have looked for bad connections in the wiring but can find no problem areas, if this bike can not run heated grips it will have to go

·
Registered
47 Posts
I run Oxford Hotgrips Premium Sport fitted on mine. The problem I had is I forgot to turn them off one morning when I got to work, so it was call to KTM mobility. Mine are not wired into the ignition (something to do with KTM warranty validity malecowmanure. I think I had a battery replaced. I also took them into the dealer because I thought they where going out but its the LED that going out and something about heat safety turn off and if the voltages drops below a 12.5 or something like that. It can turn off when idling which is bummer stuck freezing ass off in traffic.

You got any other accessories fitted or mods that could be sucking the volts/amps

Reactions: astromars

·
Registered
19 Posts
need a higher output alternator. The bike was not designed to have the battery taxed with such demanding items.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well I switched them on today to ride to work and they stayed on, also on the way home with lots of idling at red traffic lights they stayed on (didn't need them on and my hands were getting uncomfortably hot :rolleyes:), so hopefully it was a dying battery and my new 'YUASA' was worth the money,
I do not have any other items fitted apart from a short lead to plug in a charger,
still strange about the 'low battery' warning when adjusting the time setting though

·
Registered
710 Posts
What setting do you have the heated grips on?
l would use the lowest setting that they will work well enough on.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was using 50 percent but they stayed on with the 75 percent today, more than enough

·
Registered
135 Posts
I don't think the headlight being on when the engine isn't running is a great idea, and it doesn't take long for my bike to complain of low battery if I take a while to start it. Maybe less of an issue for the later LED headlamp models.
I thought about putting a voltage sensing relay in the headlight circuit so it would only come on with the engine running, but not got round to it. But I have swapped the small running light for an LED.
Mine runs the oxford grips without them ever switching off.
Hopefully your trouble was just from a weak battery.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I first bought the bike in March this year from a KTM dealer (2016 model), on the second day it wouldn't start so they came and collected it, the following day they returned it and said the battery was no good so they fitted a new one, soon after that we went into lockdown and I couldn't ride it for ages but when I could I found the battery to be weak which I thought was from standing for ages, when I went to charge it I noticed they had not fitted a new battery as it was dirty and the posts had corrosion on them, they had only charged it or possibly fitted one from another bike, it charged ok but from then on it may have just got worse until some extra demand on it finished it off,
at least I learned that my local KTM dealer can not be trusted and hopefully things will be ok with a real new battery

·
Registered
710 Posts
I fitted a lithium battery to my 2019 Duke 390, it was 3kg lighter than the standard battery and has never given any trouble despite the bike often being stood for weeks over lockdown with no maintenance charger connected.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
when buying a new battery I thought about a lithium one but after searching the forum about batteries some said that lithium's are slower starting in winter which is when I'll need it the most, I had one on my XF650 that was ok but thinking back it did start slowly on very cold mornings

·
Registered
710 Posts
Well mine certainly starts OK although yes l believe that in very cold conditions the lithium battery becomes less effective.

lt was bizarre when it arrived it was so light l thought l had been ripped off and sold an empty battery case

l think it weighed about 0.7kg

·
Super Moderator
1,296 Posts
There is a procedure to observe when using a Li-Ion batt in cold(er) conditions.
Switch on the lights for a bit before starting.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Yes that's right, l forgot about that, lights on for 30 seconds before trying to start it.

lt could be
That it takes about 30 seconds for the mouse inside the battery to get going on its wheel and generate some power.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts