KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

Wondering about heated grips on the 390... Has anyone fitted these, or know how it's done?

http://shop.ktm.com/com_en/powerparts/handlebar-instruments-electric/grips/heated-grips-4.html

Mat

·
Registered
817 Posts
I havent fitted them but know a few who have to the 690's etc. Simple install and you just use the accessories wire behind the headlight. Should be all plug an play with no issues following the instructions.
Most people have said 2 to 3 is more than enough, with hand guards even better.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yes i've fitted those exact grips. It was simple enough. As Dan said they come pre-terminated to fit the ACC2 plug behind the headlight shroud.

You have to remove the bar-ends then the old grips. Clean up the bars underneath then apply the supplied glue. Slide the new grips on then refit the bar ends using the supplied spacers.

To me the throttle looked quite odd as it is now sticking out an extra 5mm, so i dremeled off the existing plastic tabs on the throttle tube so I could slide the grip to within 2mm of the instruments, then re-fitted the bar-end without the spacer.

I also struggled massively to slide the throttle side grip on so you should probably dunk it in some boiling water for a minute first to soften it - as i had the dremel out i just smoothed off half of the ridges on the throttle tube so that it went on easier.

Then fit the control unit somewhere handy on the bars and route the cabling in a tidy fashion using the supplied cable ties.

Note, to power on you have to hold the button down for a few seconds. I didn't know this so wasted 20 minutes tracing an imaginary fault as i couldn't turn them on with a quick press. Got pics somewhere if you are interested...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's great, thanks a lot!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've decided to let the local workshop put my grips on. My wife would kill me if she saw me pulling the new bike apart myself, within a few days of buying it.

I'm waiting on the hand guards to arrive as well. I've got the Power Parts windshield and a decent touring jacket to keep me nice and snug too.

·
Registered
208 Posts
How much did your local workshop charge you to install them?

I wouldn't be that scared of replacing the grips. That seems like one of the easier things on a bike to work on.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Haha! True!!!!

They charged $100/one hour labour to do it.

They said the most time consuming bit was grinding the ribs off the throttle tube, otherwise it was a piece of cake.

·
Registered
817 Posts
$100 an hour?!! Jeez I get narky with $75......now im curious to know whos getting ripped and whos getting a good deal around the globe.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It seems to be fairly standard down south... nothing's cheap.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi guys

Wondering about heated grips on the 390... Has anyone fitted these, or know how it's done?

http://shop.ktm.com/com_en/powerparts/handlebar-instruments-electric/grips/heated-grips-4.html

Mat
Has the part# changed now? It seems that URL doesn't work and the URL is:

KTM Heated grips - Handlebar & Instruments / Electric - KTM PowerParts

To those who have installed this, can you tell me:
1. Is there is a separate connector behind the headlight for the heated grips and another connector for auxiliary devices?
2. Any pics of the heat controller? I can't seem to find them anywhere and KTM website doesn't show the switch either.

I am asking this because I am planning to hardwire a Garmin navigator to the auxiliary outlet behind the light and I would prefer it to be on a separate fuse than the heated grips. If it's the connector, then I'll have to use an inline fuse in the wiring.

·
Premium Member
1,630 Posts
1. Is there is a separate connector behind the headlight for the heated grips and another connector for auxiliary devices?
The heated grips and accessory port have separate power supplies and fuses.

2. Any pics of the heat controller? I can't seem to find them anywhere and KTM website doesn't show the switch either.
The box with the orange button. Hold for three seconds to switch on, then cycle through modes via momentary presses, hold for three seconds or ignition off to switch off again.

Reactions: F1Tod

·
Registered
30 Posts

The box with the orange button. Hold for three seconds to switch on, then cycle through modes via momentary presses, hold for three seconds or ignition off to switch off again.

Thanks! Is there a LED on that switch pod, that shows the heat level? Does the switch include mounting hardware?

·
Premium Member
1,630 Posts
Thanks! Is there a LED on that switch pod, that shows the heat level? Does the switch include mounting hardware?
The little black dots to the right of the orange button are the LEDs behind a smoked screen that blends well with the black. LEDs are green --> orange --> red --> red. The heated grips kit includes everything you need including installation instructions.

Reactions: omartins

·
Registered
25 Posts
When I turn mine on the controller blinks ( all four lights ) and nothing happens after that - any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
1,630 Posts
When I turn mine on the controller blinks ( all four lights ) and nothing happens after that - any suggestions?
How do you turn it on? Momentary press or long press? Do any of the lights stay on? Have you tried cycling it thereafter with momentary presses only?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hello all,

Searching by 60312964044 leads to heated grips compatible with a few KTM models that does NOT include the 390.

Also don't seem to be able to find powerparts item meant to be used on 1st 390 gen.

Question: is it safe to buy this (6031296404) and install them on a 2014 DUKE390? Will it be plug&play?

Thank you in advance.

omartins

1 - 19 of 19 Posts