KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a 2020 KTM 390 Duke earlier this year and had a blast driving it from the West Coast to my home town just north of Oslo.
I just installed a lowering kit, made by KTM. It includes a shorter side stand, but I had to modify it to get the magnetic part to fit with the proximity switch for the side stand light. The shop discovered that KTM has installed the rear tyre the wrong way. Got that fixed today. The KTM dealer also forgot to tighten the rear axle bolt after chain adjustment.
They also forgot to tighten the steering bearing. Also fixed today.
Had a read about low oil level (that is why I ended up here) and found out it needs to be checked with a warm engine. So my problem with no oil in the window when the engine is cold turns out not to be a problem. 馃憤
Tidy tail is waiting to be installed.

One issue left, a few times the oil warning light has come on during low RPM driving. Sensor problem?

Registered
hello, hope you enjoy your new bike but if you have any signs of troubles just contact your dealer and hope they haven't forgotten you ;)

Super Moderator
Not the most attentive Norwegian dealer it seems.
I hope you are aware of the spray issues when changing to a short tail.
As for the oil pressure light coming on at low rev's are you talking about under 1,000 RPM?
These engines should not be in that range I think, idle is around 1,200 RPM.
Wierd also that you need to modify a Power Part lowering kit meant for your bike.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
No, it happened 2 times when just driving at low speed.
Regarding the mod, yes, this is a KTM product and should be plug and play, but when we changed the sidestand to the shorter type, the magnet screw was nowhere near the switch.
I had to use the bracket from the original sidestand, but had to use a metal saw to remove the bracket on the shorter sidestand. It was welded in place. Unlike most other motorcycles, KTM use a proximity switch, not a mechanical one.
I could be it was made for the pre 2017 models, but the installation guide says it is for both models before and after 2017.

Registered
Did you try adding a bit more oil, so that it's still under the max when warm, and see if that prevents the oil warning from popping?

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
It has only happened 2-3 times, and the oil level is correct.
Probably a sensor. If it continues, I鈥檒l leave it to the shop to fix it.
Next years problem, we are going into winter here in Norway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts