KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for accepting me to the forum! Having always fancied a Duke 390, I'm finally taking the plunge with luck and hope to buy a nice low mileage 2016 model very shortly. Its my year/model of choice as its lighter and with a lower seat height than the more recent models. This is important to me these days as after some 40 yrs of riding I need something more manageable these days. Bike number 22 coming up with luck!:)

·
Registered
454 Posts
Thanks for accepting me to the forum! Having always fancied a Duke 390, I'm finally taking the plunge with luck and hope to buy a nice low mileage 2016 model very shortly. Its my year/model of choice as its lighter and with a lower seat height than the more recent models. This is important to me these days as after some 40 yrs of riding I need something more manageable these days. Bike number 22 coming up with luck!:)
Great!
Now we obviously want to know bike 1 to 21. Do you still remember them all?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Great!
Now we obviously want to know bike 1 to 21. Do you still remember them all?
Sure do Ede! Watch this space!

First, a correction ....its 49 years not 40 (showing my age!)

Yamaha YG1F Red 80cc two-stroke single. Approx 1972
Triumph TR25W Black 250cc 4-stroke single (similar to BSA Starfire)
BSA B50 Gold Star SS Red (or known as BSA Victor...oil in frame conical hubs) electrical nightmare!
Honda 400/4 F1 in Red (lovely 4-1 as standard ....coming from a single thumper BSA, the free-revving a revelation! ....no probs.
Honda 750 F1 Yellow No probs
BMW R80/7 (Double disc option) Monza Blue ....Super....economical, comfortable, long range tourer....low c of g so great in wet, snow.
BMW R100RS Blue over Silver colour scheme...Beautiful....one of best bikes owned... 600 miles one day...minimal fuel consumption.
Ducati Pantah 500....awesome first really modern Ducati model with Bosch and Suzuki switchgear....model got 6th place at LeMans 24hr 1982 ....was there that year...
Moto Guzzi 850 Le Mans Mark 1 in red....sublime, beautiful....supplied by Moto Vecchia Surrey at top money (3k) featured in 'Superbike Magazine'........sold when in dire straits unemployed (1.5k) now worth 15k+ ?
Kawasaki KLX650R In Holland where I lived two years...lovely enduro type with *********** suspension Remus muffler...ate batteries!
Honda Firestorm 1000...Back in UK....low miles unusual orange one sort of grey import....never got used to handling understeer..
Kawasaki 750 L2 ..Lifelong friend and Ducati Engineer/Race Mechanic Alistair wager's restored bike ....nice 'Dream Machine (London)' paintwork ....reliable...
Harley Davidson 883R....always like flat track and orange so succumbed...nice handling bike ....had 'Storz' USA race bits fitted....Stage 1 Tune
Buell XB12R...Superb Harley based advanced engineered machine (fuel in frame, oil in swing arm, single rim mounts single disc, low slung alloy race muffler... chipped...terrific handling..standard bodywork designed by John Kehoe from NZ who advised my friend Alistair on the design and manufacture of his production of bespoke replica Ducati Supermonos ....he knows Erik Buell personally.
Kymco Visa 110R (still owned) Solid Taiwanese 'donkey' I still own as practical for my House Maintenance jobs....carry bags of cement on it! Have much respect for the bike...fun to ride ten-tenths like most small machines.
Yamaha TTR250 'Open Enduro' Orange/Black non standard custom (sold to client 2014 but still service/ride!)...Smashing solid trail/enduro...did lots of mods...bought in Athens sold to client here so service and ride it when he is not here by agreement...
HD XR1200X....11/06/2015 SOLD Late 2016....Black beast....Awesome...torquey.......custom Bitubo suspension fitted as lightish rider....awesome sound with Vance & Hines Black Widow exhaust etc etc etc....sold as unmanageable on local roads as so slippery....stunning though on long trips for servicing in Athens with sweeping bends....fastest HD ever produced hit 200kph regularly...they still race these.....Guy Martin too...
Triumph Street Triple R 2016 SOLD 2017 ----purchased new in Kalamata, Greece....beautiful bike....fancied a Triple and lighter than the HD of course! Similar prob however to HD on roads here ...Metzeler tyres improved grip here but poor dealer servicing and attitude along with tricky self maintenance meant in the end it had to go.....to UK!
BMW R80G/S .....was choice of this OR a super orange Laverda 750S in Patras, Greece. My head for once ruled my heart....the sensible choice...October 1980 (first reg Jan 81 on a period plate (W) very early production - purchased May 2017 ...
Piaggio MP3 HPE....dabbled with 3 wheels for a while but too heavy and automatic suspension lock very difficult to get used to.
Number 21.....Ducati Monster 620ie Dark 2014 model .....still owned but for sale. Nice, lightish machine but lack of ABS on local very slippery roads a real drawback.

As you can see, orange is a common theme!

·
Registered
86 Posts
i'd like to say that i am a fan of old chasis too.for some reason i like my 2014 duke 390 :)

·
Registered
478 Posts
Geia sou! Welcome. Better try to find a 2017 model. More comfortable seat and KTM fixed some problems like head gasket and ventilator failure.

Sent from my A80Pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i'd like to say that i am a fan of old chasis too.for some reason i like my 2014 duke 390 :)
View attachment 53392
Nice bike and photograph! Were was this taken? I'm actually very tempted by a 2020 Duke 125 too in nearly new condition...
Geia sou! Welcome. Better try to find a 2017 model. More comfortable seat and KTM fixed some problems like head gasket and ventilator failure.

Επίσης!.... Το 125 μπορεί να είναι καλύτερο εδώ καθώς έχουμε πολύ μικρούς ολισθηρούς δρόμους και μια ελαφριά μοτοσικλέτα είναι ένα πλεονέκτημα. Το 2017 390 είναι επίσης υψηλότερο και βαρύτερο για μένα ...

·
Registered
86 Posts
hello there Maniot,
the photo is taken in Zonguldak ( a city located on the northcoast of Turkey.350 kms east of istanbul )
Behind me is the Blacksea :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hello there Maniot,
the photo is taken in Zonguldak ( a city located on the northcoast of Turkey.350 kms east of istanbul )
Behind me is the Blacksea :)
Looks great.... is that in the Trabazon area where Pontic Greeks used to live? I've always fancied
traveling there.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Nice bike and photograph! Were was this taken? I'm actually very tempted by a 2020 Duke 125 too in nearly new condition...

Επίσης!.... Το 125 μπορεί να είναι καλύτερο εδώ καθώς έχουμε πολύ μικρούς ολισθηρούς δρόμους και μια ελαφριά μοτοσικλέτα είναι ένα πλεονέκτημα. Το 2017 390 είναι επίσης υψηλότερο και βαρύτερο για μένα ...
I see your point. You should test ride the 2017 model, before decide. Or you can buy the 2013 model and the Ktm comfort seat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts