KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ladies and gents, another 390 Duke rider signing in. Been trying to get onto the site for a while, but always had problems with the captcha not displaying. Any way here I am. I am a first time rider, and the KTM 390 Duke ticked almost all of my boxes and came at a reasonable price. So I got one. I love its teenage styling and bright colours. So far I'm loving the bike, have a few niggles with it but that's why I am here, to discuss this [mostly] awesome bike.

See you guys around!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I love the compactness of the bike, the response of the throttle when you pull and the design of the bike. It is an awesome commuter. I do about 40 km a day with it, that may become 60 km if I land this new job I'm lining up. 90% of it is on a highway, that is often gridlocked (yay lane splitting!). Been riding since January 11th now and simply love the machine except for the gripes I have with it.

My only gripes with the bike are:

- It runs ridiculously hot. On Friday during my commute home the highway was at a standstill. I was lane splitting but the speed I was maintaining wasn't fast enough to keep the bike's temperature under control and it overheated on me and cut out. I spent 15 minutes on the side of the highway waiting for it to cool down. Got home, let it cool down for somewhere between 1 and 2 hours and then grabbed a pressure washer, put it on the medium setting and flushed the fins of the radiator. There has been a lot of rain here recently and thought that maybe there was some gunk blocking the fins up. Also checked my coolant and that was fine. It still seems to be running uncomfortably hot - one bar away from the top of the operating temperature portion.
- The seat gets uncomfortable when sitting longer than 30 minutes in the saddle. Numb bum is a common occurrence.
- Unfortunately, because of it being a naked, the wind blast at speeds over 100 km/h is pretty severe.
- My legs are slightly out of proportion to a regular person in that they are longer than normal. I may only be 1.78 m tall, but my legs get extremely cramped if I tuck them in next to the tank. Last week I suffered twice with both my legs cramping up simultaneously. It's not fun to have this happen to you when you're riding I can assure you.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I love the compactness of the bike, the response of the throttle when you pull and the design of the bike. It is an awesome commuter. I do about 40 km a day with it, that may become 60 km if I land this new job I'm lining up. 90% of it is on a highway, that is often gridlocked (yay lane splitting!). Been riding since January 11th now and simply love the machine except for the gripes I have with it.

My only gripes with the bike are:

- It runs ridiculously hot. On Friday during my commute home the highway was at a standstill. I was lane splitting but the speed I was maintaining wasn't fast enough to keep the bike's temperature under control and it overheated on me and cut out. I spent 15 minutes on the side of the highway waiting for it to cool down. Got home, let it cool down for somewhere between 1 and 2 hours and then grabbed a pressure washer, put it on the medium setting and flushed the fins of the radiator. There has been a lot of rain here recently and thought that maybe there was some gunk blocking the fins up. Also checked my coolant and that was fine. It still seems to be running uncomfortably hot - one bar away from the top of the operating temperature portion.
- The seat gets uncomfortable when sitting longer than 30 minutes in the saddle. Numb bum is a common occurrence.
- Unfortunately, because of it being a naked, the wind blast at speeds over 100 km/h is pretty severe.
- My legs are slightly out of proportion to a regular person in that they are longer than normal. I may only be 1.78 m tall, but my legs get extremely cramped if I tuck them in next to the tank. Last week I suffered twice with both my legs cramping up simultaneously. It's not fun to have this happen to you when you're riding I can assure you.
for heat I would recomend looking into a power commander or something like that. What it will do is alter your air fuel mixture. Most modern bikes run hella hot because emissions restrictions force the manufacturers to run them quite lean. So that should help, another option is getting rid of the stock exhaust, if you run catless it will also help with the heat buildup...

Keep in mind I dont have a duke390 (not available here yet) so these are only hypothetical suggestions which I would try, maybe one of the boys can chip in here...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@sandy mary, the power commander is a rather pricey "fix" for a new bike. As far as I'm concerned, it's KTM's problem and they need to fix it. I'm thinking about putting an Akrapovic pipe on it, but it's a pretty expensive piece of kit to put on.

How will pulling out the catalytic converter solve heat issues?

More niggles with the bike:

- Rattles. The plastic loves to rattle.
- I've had it twice, where I pulled in the clutch and the bike cut out.
- I've had the bike drop from 3rd to 2nd without me down shifting, thought "WTF!?" opened the throttle and it climbed back up to 3rd.

·
Registered
38 Posts
@sandy mary, the power commander is a rather pricey "fix" for a new bike. As far as I'm concerned, it's KTM's problem and they need to fix it. I'm thinking about putting an Akrapovic pipe on it, but it's a pretty expensive piece of kit to put on.

- I've had the bike drop from 3rd to 2nd without me down shifting, thought "WTF!?" opened the throttle and it climbed back up to 3rd.
Hi Zen,
Had my fair share of fun as well since Ive had mine...

The rattles I got the dealership to insulate all the wiring under the tank, it looks super neat now and about 90% of my rattles have gone. There is still one annoying rattle that I will hunt down when Im bored.

Ive had phantom shifts from 2nd into Neutral; 3rd down to 2nd and then Ive had it in 6th drop into a false neutral at around 130km/h.
It does not happen all the time and when I took it to the dealership they essentially told me that they rode it and it was fine, Im probably not shifting into gears properly.... Ive ridden for many years, mainly motocross but the principal is identical.

Ive also had my display cluster replaced as it would tell me my bike is ice cold with no fuel in it when my left leg is telling my brain otherwise, common sense was saying I filled the tank 5 minutes ago, it cant be empty... Unit replaced under warranty after 2 weeks waiting for the part to arrive.

That Akra Pipe is **** nice, I saw that 390 on the showroom floor with all the powerparts on it and asked the guy to start it... R8500 is a **** lot of money for it though

·
Registered
533 Posts

because cats work most effective only under high temperatures. For one the temp is facilitated through a lean AF mix, second the cat has chambers that circulate the hot gasses through them, keeping them bottled up inherently produces more heat, which contributes to the heat soak you get in traffic for example.

pulling the cat moves the hot gasses out faster without having them recirculate inside the cat...

·
Registered
573 Posts
welcome to the forum ..

some hooligan tips ..
1. change the coolant to Engine Ice if there is in SA or any other vehicle coolant..
the stock coolant sucks ...
2. try to angle away (below) the radiator ... oh... it's in my list and yet to do it .. some of my mates on Benelli had done that mod and it is now blowing lower and save the nuts... :D
3. wrap the header with thermo wrap (fiberglass cloth) this definitely cools down when riding but not idling becos when the fan kicks in .. same nuts grilling effect ...

·
Registered
573 Posts
sandy mary kind to elaborate more on pulling the cat out ???
do i miss a chapter on how to take out the catalytic converter from a stock exhaust :confused::confused::confused:

because cats work most effective only under high temperatures. For one the temp is facilitated through a lean AF mix, second the cat has chambers that circulate the hot gasses through them, keeping them bottled up inherently produces more heat, which contributes to the heat soak you get in traffic for example.

pulling the cat moves the hot gasses out faster without having them recirculate inside the cat...

·
Registered
238 Posts
I don't think anyone has successfully done it as yet without resulting in the bike sounding like a chainsaw.
By the look of the system's innards, it would be a pretty big task.

I would try it if i had a spare. I'm hesitant to try it on my own muffler.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hey guys i will just post my problem about the saddle because i so some saddle issues here ..

I am approx 1.83cm 0.72' tall and my ride position on duke 390 after a year of raiding starts to hurt my back and my hands!

i was wondering if using a ktm power part saddle ( KTM Ergo Comfort Seat 125/200/390 Duke: AOMC.mx ) will make my bike geormetry more comfortable for a man like me..

thanks for your time in advance :)

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Zen! About your complaints with the bike:

--Overheating. You may want to check the recent threads on this forum that detail the replacement of the OE fan with a better quality fan from SPAL. This change, along with swapping your stock coolant for Engine Ice coolant will significantly improve the bike's cooling.

--Seat. The stock seat is OK, IMO, but the Ergo seat is far more comfortable.

--Wind Blast. You may want to fit a windscreen. There are many available. The German company MRA, for example, offers some high-quality screens that fit the Duke well. My bike wears an MRA VarioScreen which provides excellent protection from the wind blast.

--Leg Cramps. If you check eBay motorcycles under "ktm 390 Duke" you will find an amazing array of parts offered mainly by Chinese vendors. Dig down far enough and you will find footpegs with an extension arm that allow adjustment of the footpeg position by 25-40mm. This might help your legs.

Ride safe.

Reactions: mejetski2000

·
Registered
94 Posts
I will highly suggest the ergo seat. I had it put on because my arse was sore after about 20mins riding.
The KTM ergo seat is more comfy and also if you do the pillion one as well, I find it gives a better lower back support.

With overheating, I live in Hanoi, Vietnam and I cop it quite a bit with the stand still traffic and general temp. I have ordered Engine Ice, I looked at the website: Distribution and they do have a dealer in South Africa.

Also search the thread for the SPAL fan, I have ordered this to try and help me with the engine ice, but cant comment on it yet.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts