KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

Hi from Ohio

1K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  renpar61 
#1 ·
Hello all,

Just made the fun decision to purchase my new duke 390 at the start of winter. So now I have plenty of time to complete all the wrenching I plan on doing before the start of riding season next spring.

Always interested in reading about what other people are doing to their rides. Seen some pretty interesting conversations so far, and all the information, guides, expertise, and warnings are going to be very valuable in the next few months as I make my modifications/adjustments to the bike.

Looking forward to all the seat time, not only riding, but wrenching as well

#3 ·
Welcome!

I just got mine at the end of August (literally, Aug30th).
Here's a list of things I've done:
  • tail tidy (a must, I really don't understand the purpose of that super long brace)
  • front and back axle sliders (didn't mount the right left, I read it could hit your exhaust, not sure if it's true for stock and/or after market)
  • rear axle bobbins for rear stand
  • frame sliders (did a long research, bought on Amazon, sent back 2 sets before I got the right ones)
  • rear grab handles (not so much for the passenger which I have no intention to carry :) very useful to move the bike around)
  • rearview mirrors (just installed a set by FENRIR bought on Amazon, They definitely look better than stock, haven't tested them on the road yet)

I also tried K&N air filter, out of curiosity, took it off after 2 days of riding. Apart form the deeper tone at low revs, terrible performance, stock is much better, at least with stock mapping.
I was researching exhaust and piggyback ECU but after hearing opinions on the matter I decided to let it go. I'll save that money towards my next, possibly bigger, KTM ride. I'll wait for the 490 in 2022 and if it's not a big change I 'll move to 790 or whatever bigger engine will be available then.

I'm still considering larger tires when the current ones will need replacement. I know 90% of people are advising against it, but I will do some more research.

#4 ·
Hi renpar61,
With all due respect, the rear fender is very useful if you ride your bike rather than look at it as it will keep most of the debris off your back while riding in the rain.
A really must change though i.m.h.o. on the North American models is the turn lanterns you carry for the intended neat LED ones the rest of the planet rides with.
Then again it is your bike :giggle:

#5 ·
Hi KTMaesan,
I put over 1000 miles on my Duke in the first 2 months, so I'd say I DO ride my bike ;) (just for pleasure, no commute), not only look at it.
I rather not in the rain, at my age you tend to avoid things that are uncomfortable when you can.
I understand the purpose of the rear fender, although too thin and too long even to serve that purpose, IMHO.
What I found interesting is that you dismiss my comment as merely aesthetic, and "counter" with an equally purely aesthetic one. :)
However, you are right, the turn signals are quite large. I personally don't find them as "offensive", but that's just my opinion. I can say though, since I rode bikes for over 20 years in Italy where bikes are far more widespread and familiar, here in the US drivers are generally sloppy and distracted, as a biker you want to do all you can to be seen by other cars, probably the reason behind the "lanterns" requirement in the US, which I agree with you, don't look as neat as the LED ones.

#7 ·
Not a lover in any sense merely a realist as in the practicality of it.
I have only done about 40,000 km combined on a 200 and a 390 through tropical wet monsoons as well and although the long fender does not take away all of the sprays it does roughly 90%.
Wet tarmac roads are not too bad but ploughing through a dirt trek during the rainy season is a different story ;)
I know it is loads of fun modifying withing your capability and that is great, but to claim and take usefulness of the fender (ugly or not) in doubt goes beyond reason in contrast to (as I mentioned) the turn indicators.

#8 ·
You are projecting your experience onto someone who probably isn’t riding through tropical monsoons on muddy roads [emoji3061]

My motorway commute is over 200km a day and being the UK the roads are often wet and speeds are higher than on muddy roads. Fenders make no difference at all because 90% of the spray is coming off other vehicles not from mine.

So my experience is that the long fender is of little value. I’m pretty sure someone from somewhere hot and dry will also have the same experience so the reality is that it depends. [emoji28]

#11 ·
Am I the only one that does not find the stock rear plate/turn indicator extension offensive in appearance? I find that it adds some sort of ‘balance’ to the angular ‘praying mantis’ headlight, when viewed from the side.
I do not care for the looks of a ‘tail tidy’ no matter the brand name.
it has been a VERY long time since I have removed the rear fender on a bike, last being my 93 CBR900RR.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.