KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Hey guys.
Part time race for a local ktm dealer in my local races and few nationals. Been following this forum for a week now. Nice people. Nice info
Nice of you to join us @Alex Welcome aboard!

Hwo did you find us on here?

Do you have any pcitures or videos you can share with the community? ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey guys. Dont have anything custom parts myself yet but the team i race for have some duke 200 race bikes. Will post some pics soon.
As for myself. Just got my 390 3 days ago. Know 2 well not to grab the first few versions with bajaj. They keep refining them and i feel this time they have fixed the starting problem, engine cut out and some knocking below 4k rpm. I had a good milage with the demo bike the company sent the dealer before the sales. That one was giving all sorts of problems but now i think the bikes quite refined after they revised the fan, decompressor and a little bit of mapping( not official, just a hunch from d way the bike perform)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Btw i live in the north east part of where the fuels a as bad as u can imagine. This is a big problem specially with d high compression ratio of 390.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Btw i live in the north east part of where the fuels a as bad as u can imagine. This is a big problem specially with d high compression ratio of 390.
welcome aboard @Alex! I second the others, in for a look at some of the goodies :D

How do you cope with the quality of fuel over there? Are there additives you can make use, or perhaps a reflash of the fuel maps??

curious, we're spoiled over here with relatively consistent quality of fuel..

·
Registered
573 Posts
oh my ... i''m the very 1st batch in Malaysia and your freaking me out ..... November is the month .... is this the 1st batch too in India ? Maybe if i can read out my VIN number you can prolly guess the batch ?

Mine suffers everything you mentioned ... or maybe i trashed too hard while breaking-in ??? :eek::eek::eek:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@Sandy. For the race we sometimes source our fuel from elsewhere n the race bikes were built by the same guy who owns race dynamics (powertronics) rest u just have 2 rev past the flat spot or bare it when not possible ?. We kept breaking the valves on the earlier 200.

@Phil. They recalled and fix this for the earlier models as well but not the mapping, mapping was just my hunch since it behaved pretty different. 2day i rode a friends 390 ( september model) with powertronics, felt pretty good with but with still a little bit of high temp starting issue. No other problem i notice given his burnout habits.
One thing my mechanic did with d bike is that he soften the decompressor spring with one bike n that pretty much solved the starting issue.
The demo bike arrived somewhere mid of 2013. Dont remember exactly when will let u know 2moro. The local dealer here was the first one to get it in India( if im not mistaken).

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
oh my ... i''m the very 1st batch in Malaysia and your freaking me out ..... November is the month .... is this the 1st batch too in India ? Maybe if i can read out my VIN number you can prolly guess the batch ?

Mine suffers everything you mentioned ... or maybe i trashed too hard while breaking-in ??? :eek::eek::eek:
Maybe, just maybe you trashed it too hard when breaking it in. How hard did you go?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Will try n post some pics 2moro. Dont have any on my iphone right now. But b warned, it wont b nothing compared 2 ur bikes. Very limited good parts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The thing with 390 is, its a 44bhp bike which retails at 200850 with insurance here in india n one can only expect so much but id say its still a lot of bang 4 buck.

·
Registered
533 Posts
The thing with 390 is, its a 44bhp bike which retails at 200850 with insurance here in india n one can only expect so much but id say its still a lot of bang 4 buck.
100%, we're lucky in NA because we dont have the same type of licencing and insurance restrictions as Asia and the EU. I remember reading that KTM had to detune the D390 for UK because its P/W was so obscene that it could not meet rookie licencing requirements.

I'm partially hoping that the US Spec Duke 390 gets a bit more omph than the global models. Besides, we're all over fed and lumbering we need the EXTRA JUICE :D

Kidding I'm a svelte 140 ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts