KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi and thanks for letting me join the forum.

This is my 3rd KTM, and I'm downsizing from a 950SM, as I just wasn't using it enough for long runs, just commuting to work.

Besides, small bikes are all about momentum, which is more fun than just opening the taps on a twisty road.

Mirror extenders are ordered already, and a couple of other bits. Exhaust is next. I'll check out the site for ideas, but I'm looking at Mivv or Arrow, two decent brands that won't break the bank.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Heds, fancy meeting you here!

Well I've put 200ks on the the thing, and It's booked in for a quick service on Tuesday, as there is a small but perceptible movement in the forks under hard braking. I think the head bearings need a tweak! I'm also going to get some Barkbusters fitted at the same time. - they now do a kit to fit the std bars, and pick up on the nut in the bars.

I've also ordered some EBC pads from a local dealer, as the std brakes are pretty poor. All the KTM's I've owned have had a rear calliper that was marginal at best, but the one on the 390 is purely cosmetic as it stands. I was looking on the Bay of e, and they are @ $50, plus $25 postage from the UK to OZ. The dealer quoted me $60 a pair, so i'm quids in!

After 10 years on supermotos, I'd forgotten just how small a road bike is. At least I don't need a vaulting horse to get on the seat anymore :) My other road bikes are a'76 Yamaha RD400, and a Honda Postie Bike.

On top of that, there's Projects,….. I have a few, …..Too many to mention….(to the tune of My way, by F Sinatra)

(Lets hope this reply gives me more posting rights in the rest of the forum)

·
Premium Member
1,310 Posts
Stock brake pad upgrading to sintered pads are a must on the little Duke . I have swapped my stock rear calliper for a KTM 690 Brembo calliper . Easy swap and where there is a distinct improvement don't expect miracles . The headset ball bearing has a bad reputation on the Duke , however .. 200 KM ..

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
One frequent problem with the brakes on new 390's is that the factory assembly procedures often leave a glaze of oil/grease/petroleum/chemicals on the rotors. If this contamination is not cleaned before delivery, then the new owner unwittingly embeds all of this crud into the brake pads, and finds that the brakes are next to useless as a result. The stock brake pads can be made to work acceptably if they are removed from the caliper and sanded with 220 grit sandpaper to remove the layer of contamination from the pads. The rotors must be scrupulously cleaned with a brake cleaning solution.. Reinstall the pads and the brakes will be acceptably mediocre once bedded-in. It is clear that the stock pads were designed for long life rather than performance.

As Trimapa notes, for the brakes to function properly on the 390, there must be proper brake pads - HH sintered. If you swap for these, you will find - once bedded-in - the front is far stronger, more progressive and takes less effort, while the rear, often non-existent in the OEM incarnation, now will activate the ABS with modest pressure on the foot pedal.

Reactions: KTMjun86

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Stock brake pad upgrading to sintered pads are a must on the little Duke . I have swapped my stock rear calliper for a KTM 690 Brembo calliper . Easy swap and where there is a distinct improvement don't expect miracles . The headset ball bearing has a bad reputation on the Duke , however .. 200 KM ..

Dealer phoned this morning, the pads are here. I'll set off for work 15 min early and pick them up. I'm not working on friday, so I'll get them fitted tomorrow morning.

The workshop manager at my dealer - Kessner M/cycles in Adelaide - said they have had a couple come back with loose head bearings over the years.

We also had a chat about Arrow exhausts and a ref lash of the std ECU. I'll be breaking into the piggy bank soon!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Reinstall the pads and the brakes will be acceptably mediocre once bedded-in. It is clear that the stock pads were designed for long life rather than performance.
This is the problem.

I'm happy my dealer PDI'ed the bike, but as you say the brakes are adequate at best.
Stomping on the back brake with my size 9's provokes mild retardation, but not much else. Its more effective to close the throttle! The front's OK, but I don;t think it will ever bother the ABS!

New pads going in tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
1,310 Posts
The pads will make an huge difference once you have traveled the 50 miles for them to bed in . Once you have done that ... @Diploman will talk you in fitting the 320mm Galfer wave disk and Frando Brake MC . There is of course another madman on this forum that actually fitted 100 mm Brembo front caliper .. That really stops the bike ! You won't do that you say ? Well what can I say ... we all started with fitting sintered pads ...0:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts