KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Maybe some sort of deflector plate would help divert the hot air around your legs. Maybe khakis might help too.

Welcome to the forum by the way

·
Registered
208 Posts
Is that picture taken in Singapore? I didn't think they would have the road signs in English.

Do they make after market deflectors for this purpose? If not you may have to make your own?

Please come back and let us know what you come up with.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Gets warm hey!! I was thinking about this problem amd the only though I had was deflection fins off the thermo fan so it goes downwards. Part of the heat is blowing from the header as well, probably the only really poor design on the bike is the header and its route.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Yea from what I've read the Dukes do leak quite a bit of heat, like the @Dan1 mentioned in the header area. From ehat I've heard they can be downright uncomfortable in traffic...

good luck with the deflector, let us know what you come up with.

Oh and welcome aboard @Asiaoildude !!

·
Registered
817 Posts
Its not an issue when your rolling, mine only comes on every now and then when its a warm day at the lights. Im kinda confused why its such a hot engine but.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its not an issue when your rolling, mine only comes on every now and then when its a warm day at the lights. Im kinda confused why its such a hot engine but.

Agreed. I think it has a very high set thermostat AND a small radiator.

Once I'm through run-in I'll explore some options:

A deflector, rotating the radiator (to a potrait style position), having a relay reverse direction of the fan at low speeds, or maybe these?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is that picture taken in Singapore? I didn't think they would have the road signs in English.

Do they make after market deflectors for this purpose? If not you may have to make your own?

Please come back and let us know what you come up with.

Dude, Singapore is a former British colony - while they have four offical languages English dominates followed by Mandarin Chinese. The road signs are usually only in English.

·
Registered
573 Posts
1st, Welcome to the forum, i'm your Malaysian neighbour ... if ur here for a ride, do let me know ... we can ride together ...:)

2nd, the heat problem ... i get use to it already ... been doing 1200km now .. its actually good for this Monsoon season and it also drys up ye pants when it pours ... :D

Whoah! 30 km on my new 390 Duke and I have to say that in Singapore having the radiator fan blow hot air on my left leg/calf isn't going to work!

There's a definite need for some sort of deflector. This is my bike below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u5bvs0278y4h1ru/2013-12-03 11.41.40.jpg

·
Registered
520 Posts
1st, Welcome to the forum, i'm your Malaysian neighbour ... if ur here for a ride, do let me know ... we can ride together ...:)

2nd, the heat problem ... i get use to it already ... been doing 1200km now .. its actually good for this Monsoon season and it also drys up ye pants when it pours ... :D
lol thats the spirit :D

·
Registered
83 Posts
Well heat is not an issue as most motorcycle are designed for a human to sit on a frame and engine...there are riders that complain of heat even with bikes we will definitely ALWAYS feel heat on ANY motorcycle, as we are practically sitting on an engine...

Best just to wear long pants or better protective riding gear...and heat becomes a non-issue.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well heat is not an issue as most motorcycle are designed for a human to sit on a frame and engine...there are riders that complain of heat even with bikes we will definitely ALWAYS feel heat on ANY motorcycle, as we are practically sitting on an engine...

Best just to wear long pants or better protective riding gear...and heat becomes a non-issue.

Seriously? My H-D Sportster didn't blow hot air at my left leg and it was an air cooled engine that ran a lot hotter than 100 Deg C. Admit it - it's a design flaw - and there are very few on what is a new design and build.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Got my new Duke 390 2013 a week ago and i can replicate this issue. Even when stopped on traffic lights. After 3-4 months, the temperatures here in Cyprus is about to go up to 45 degrees Celsius!
If any solution comes up please post it here.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Got my new Duke 390 2013 a week ago and i can replicate this issue. Even when stopped on traffic lights. After 3-4 months, the temperatures here in Cyprus is about to go up to 45 degrees Celsius!
If any solution comes up please post it here.
I switched to Engine Ice coolant which has helped slightly.
Also I changed my riding style a little - I coast a bit more up to the lights to let some air cool the radiator.

I think not only is the radiator undersized but the coolant pump may also be too small (i.e. flow is too low).

·
Registered
33 Posts
by 30 kms do you mean the first 30 straight out of the dealer? if thats the case the engine parts will be wearing in still. mine was extra hot for the first few hundred kms. it still runs warm but not as hot as when i first got it. you could also look at engine ice coolant some of the guys around here have been roccomending it or a powertronic ecu makes the fan kick in earlier keeping the engine cooler

·
Registered
209 Posts
I red on an Indian forum that they partially solved it in the second batch by reversing fan rotation when the bike is under 9 kph. Any owner to confirm this?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts