KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2020 KTM Adventure 390. 🍊 No quick shifter.
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured out how to adjust the suspension on the Adventure.

Before you attempt to change the settings it is critical that you set your static sag and spring preload on the shock correctly first! There are plenty of YouTube videos on how to do it and then you can proceed with the explanation below.
————

First you have to “close” the adjusters by turning them to the right unit they stop turning. There is a rebound adjustment screw on the bottom of the shock as well. DO NOT TIGHTEN THEM!! Just gently turn to the right until the end.

Then you start turning the fork adjusters to the left and count the “clicks”. The default setting for both adjusters on the fork is 15 clicks. On the shock is 10 clicks. There is a sticker on the fuel tank (under the seat) that tells you the other optional recommended suspension settings.

I saw a YouTube video that recommends to have 13 clicks on the fork and 8 clicks on the shock for a good road/hwy use and 17 clicks on the fork and 12 clicks on the shock (back from the closed position) for good light off-roading situation.

I’m continuing to experiment with settings for my weight of 95kg, but so far the ability to easily experiment with the suspension opens a vast new world of enjoyment and learning. Keep in mind that suspension genera to be adjusted every 3000km or around 2000 miles. Fork oil needs to be replaced after ~10,000km or 6000 miles of heavy duty riding or commuting.

·
Super Moderator
1,946 Posts
Before playing with compression and rebound settings you need to set your static sag?
Maybe you mean riders sag?
Changing fork oil after 10,000km of heavy-duty riding or commuting? What other riding is there?
I'd figure changing fork oil every 2 years when using the bike as a commuter is okay but when heavy riding you surely will need to change the fork oil sooner and at least 1x per year.

When changing adjustments on compression or rebound also count the clicks/turns when going to your starting point.
This way at least you know where you came from if things doesn't work out as planned.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the comment @KTMasean,
About static sag… in my comment I said “set your static sag and spring preload” meaning both static sag and rider sag too.
Update: I found that for me the best compression and rebound setting on the fork turned out to be 14 clicks from closed and 9 clicks on the shock. My spring preload is level 2.

·
Super Moderator
1,946 Posts
If not mistaken any sag setting other than the free sag or travel distance SAG is set by adjusting the pre-load of the spring.
Static SAG is the length of the bike sitting under its own weight which will be the same for all the bikes (same brand and model) however the riders SAG depends purely on the weight of the rider all kitted up.
The setting up of the suspension on YOUR bike for YOUR weight and YOUR riding style is a pretty delicate exercise and is best left to a professional.
That said, it is wonderful that the Adventure has adjustable forks and nothing wrong with experimenting yourselves but be aware when test riding.
Bikes can take on a totally different riding and cornering profile when adjusting/changing any of the parameters of the suspension.
It is great you have found your settings and hope it benefits your riding style.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Static SAG is the length of the bike sitting under its own weight which will be the same for all the bikes (same brand and model)
As far as I understand the term static sag applies to the rear end travel (up) without the rider. I encourage you to try your static sag on your bike and then loosen the preload and try it again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello Johngalt,

Level 2 means second notch from start?

Thank you for the comment @KTMasean,
About static sag… in my comment I said “set your static sag and spring preload” meaning both static sag and rider sag too.
Update: I found that for me the best compression and rebound setting on the fork turned out to be 14 clicks from closed and 9 clicks on the shock. My spring preload is level 2.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello Johngalt,

Level 2 means second notch from start?
That’s right @casilvar. It’s second notch from the “softest” end. There are plenty of videos on YouTube on how to set the preload and static sag. It is very important for safety and health of your joints to set it correctly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts