KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently decided I wanted to buy a motorcycle and learn to ride. I went and got my permit and looked around for a bike to catch my eye and it ended up being the 390 Duke. I feel like it has the perfect amount of power and it looks awesome in the 2021 silver color! Problem is, I have contacted both of the main dealers in my area that carry the bike and both have quoted me 1.5-2k over MSRP. I checked financing for the one that quoted me 2k over (7,500 before interest) and offered to pay cash to the on that offered 1.5k (7,096 OTD).

I get that you have to calculate taxes as well as some fees that the dealer may include to make a bit of profit... but with the relatively low price of the bike a $2k markup is literally 35% over MSRP...

Am I being unreasonable or are the dealers trying to rip me off? I really have my mind set on that specific bike but I refuse to take a poor deal because of that.

·
Premium Member
1,029 Posts
Look further afield.

Admittedly not the best time of year to be expecting a deal, but if you're willing to venture further out, across state lines even, I'm sure you can do better.

Reactions: Ede

·
Registered
454 Posts
Maybe contact KTM USA and ask them about it.
I paid list price for my bike in Thailand and I don't see a reason why anybody should pay more than that price.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hate to say it but covid is getting a lot of the blame with short or zero supply of new bikes imported , here in UK also more demand from people who see the benefits of biking .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Oof, this literally just happened to me. I'm brand new to motorcycling (haven't even finished the BRC -- my last class/exam is tonight!) and wasn't exactly sure what to expect but I DEFINITELY wasn't prepared to be quoted $1,700 over MSRP after $1,500 down.

I know the advice is 'never buy new for a first bike' but used bikes in my area are going for over $3,000... Figured another grand or two for a brand spanking new bike with a warranty and financing was a no-brainer. Turns out those went up too!

·
Registered
24 Posts
XDrew and infiniteMotion where are you located? I've been in contact with dealers in the northeast and all along the east coast. Everyone has been noting the lack of supply, but I've still received several quotes below $7,000. I MAY put down a deposit on a 2021 tomorrow morning and can relay the OTD price. I will most likely pay cash however.

There are several (obvious) reasons to purchase your first bike used, but if you factor in a smaller displacement motorcycle, proper training, a responsible and mature approach to riding, and a solid investment in riding gear, insurance, and advanced rider courses...I say go for it. That being said (or written), after my BRC course, my first bike was a seven year-old used YZF-600R. I couldn't fathom buying new at the time.

infiniteMotion good luck with your last class/exam.

·
Registered
8 Posts
XDrew and infiniteMotion where are you located? I've been in contact with dealers in the northeast and all along the east coast. Everyone has been noting the lack of supply, but I've still received several quotes below $7,000. I MAY put down a deposit on a 2021 tomorrow morning and can relay the OTD price. I will most likely pay cash however.

There are several (obvious) reasons to purchase your first bike used, but if you factor in a smaller displacement motorcycle, proper training, a responsible and mature approach to riding, and a solid investment in riding gear, insurance, and advanced rider courses...I say go for it. That being said (or written), after my BRC course, my first bike was a seven year-old used YZF-600R. I couldn't fathom buying new at the time.

infiniteMotion good luck with your last class/exam.
I'm in Central IL! Yeah, it seems I'm kind of stuck in between a rock and a hard place - just completed my BRC (passed both exams, thank you for the good luck wishes!) and both new and used bikes are going for quite a bit more than what I was led to believe they "should" be.

I won't really be financially set up to go in on a bike until after July so maybe things will calm down by then, though that doesn't feel super likely. In the meantime, I'll keep cruising the local used market and see if I can't find something I'd be happy with for a while that won't be nearly 30% over MSRP.

·
Registered
125 Posts
$7k USD for a new Duke??! That's outrageous. My local dealer is listing 2021s as $3999 on their website. I'm in Central New York.

·
Registered
8 Posts
$7k USD for a new Duke??! That's outrageous. My local dealer is listing 2021s as $3999 on their website. I'm in Central New York.
Sweet jebus, do they deliver? :p

Though, to be fair: the dealerships near me ALSO list the 200 Duke as $3,999 and the 390 Duke as $4,599... Both on their website and in-store.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks. I did contact them and they had no 390 Dukes in stock. Their site currently advertises the 200 Duke for $3,999 and the 390 Adventure for $6,699.
Yep, as mentioned in my last post the dealerships near me list the 200 Duke at $3,999... Then quoted me $6,180 OTD. :|

·
Registered
24 Posts
The dealer north of me (where I'm most likely buying a 2021 390) has a 2020 200 Duke in stock in white. The asking price when I visited was $3,799. If I estimate a total OTD price based on the fees I negotiated and NY taxes (@ 8.75%), I calculate $4,872 versus that $6,180.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The dealer north of me (where I'm most likely buying a 2021 390) has a 2020 200 Duke in stock in white. The asking price when I visited was $3,799. If I estimate a total OTD price based on the fees I negotiated and NY taxes (@ 8.75%), I calculate $4,872 versus that $6,180.
Dear god. The $6,180 quote is even with IL's lower (6.25%) sales tax... I don't suppose your dealership will deliver for under $1,300? ;P

·
Registered
8 Posts
Dealer might not, but I will haha. Last time I drove to Chicago was early August. It's probably an eight hour drive for you, one way. Road trip it with a buddy.
Fun as that sounds, it's probably best to get it delivered to me as getting my first bike fresh out of the BRC and taking a 10-hour road trip sounds inadvisable. Hahaha. :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts