KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, hope everyone's doing well.
I had this strange metal clanking vibration noise that used to come from the left side of my duke 390 2017. I used to think it is a loose washer or nut somewhere and had been informing about it for the past 2 services to the authorised service center. But it never seemed to be solved and they always told it is because of the aftermarket radiator guard I had installed.
Being under lockdown, I wanted to get rid of the problem myself.
So I opened the left side panel and found nothing loose. Then I opened ignition coil cover and here comes the shocker.
The ignition coil was not there under the cover!!
It was actually sandwiched between the engine and the frame and was not fastened to anything. This had damaged both the coil and the engine casing. You can see the damages in the attached image.
**** those useless service centre guys who had not cared to check the spark plug. No way to reach the sparkplug without noticing this and I guess they had only been changing the engine oil and taking money from me for full service.
Can anyone please let me know based on the images the extent of the damage on the ignition coil. As I have no expertise on this and should I complain to KTM.
Does the ignition coil needs replacement or will it work just fine?
So far I have not faced much issues with the ignition, only that so far I had stalling issues 4 to 5 times and I do not know if this is connected to this issue.
IMG_20210511_144512.jpg
IMG_20210511_144442~2.jpg
IMG_20210511_144447~2.jpg
IMG_20210511_144503~2.jpg
IMG_20210511_144456~2.jpg

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,626 Posts
As your bike is most likely no longer under warranty and it will be difficult to put the blame on the mechanics I would opt to re-install the 2 missing bolts, re-connect the earth wire and hope for the best.
Lesson learned this service station concerning.
Good luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As your bike is most likely no longer under warranty and it will be difficult to put the blame on the mechanics I would opt to re-install the 2 missing bolts, re-connect the earth wire and hope for the best.
Lesson learned this service station concerning.
Good luck.
Thank you very much. I hope I have to wait and watch if there are any problems.

Currently I have fixed the earth wire between the ignition coil the plastic panel covering the coil. Is it the right place? Should I fix it between the chassis and the coil?

·
Registered
487 Posts
I believe the installation order is bolt>Plastic cover>Earth wire>Coil >Frame.
make sure you clean up the Rust on the coil first.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Hello Poorna, hope it's not too late an answer, start off by cleaning the ground terminals of the ignition coil, scrub off that rust. Secondly, make sure there are no cracks in between the the cap and the lead connecting to the ignition coil. When such things happen, chances are, the lead can crack and eventually jump spark, so it's better to check the lead for cracks, kinks, and functioning and make sure you use new bolts.

Good luck.

Cheers!
VJ

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello Poorna, hope it's not too late an answer, start off by cleaning the ground terminals of the ignition coil, scrub off that rust. Secondly, make sure there are no cracks in between the the cap and the lead connecting to the ignition coil. When such things happen, chances are, the lead can crack and eventually jump spark, so it's better to check the lead for cracks, kinks, and functioning and make sure you use new bolts.

Good luck.

Cheers!
VJ
Thank you for pitching in.. I had cleaned the ignition coil with WD40. The rust seems to be deep.. But anyway I had cleaned as much as I could. They are not shiny metal anymore. It is brown even after cleaning.
As far as the terminals and wires, visually I couldn't find any cracks. So I had just connected them back again. The only damage seems to be that the edges of the coil seem to be dented at some places. I hope that the bends and dents on the edges doesn't affect the coil.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts